The cycle continues; when will it stop?

Options
thedarkwombat
thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
edited March 2016 in Getting Started
I am back again, and a little down today. I have been fighting my obesity now for 15 years. Several times I have lost 20 only to gain it back. I been back and forth with low carb, more times than I can remember. At least I am not at my all time high of 342 pounds from back in 2008. I am 324 now, but I need to lose 100 pounds.

Three weeks ago I started Atkins again and the first week the weight flew off. I went from 328 to 321 in one week, and was feeling great. Most likely water weight at first. Two weeks later and my weight is 324, and I feel bloated. Ive been drinking water too, and really sticking with it.

So I have decided to just watch calories and stick with it here on Myfitnesspal. In late 2014, I did get down to 307 just from counting calories, so I know it is possible.

I guess I am here this morning because I could use a "pick me up!" I need some motivation.

Replies

• TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Unless for a medical reason, you don't have to do low carb, after all carbohydrates are a macro nutrient for a reason; it gives you energy. Just eat within your calories & if you do exercise (which you don't have to do, to lose weight), only eat back half of those exercise calories. If you do do low carb, at least be sure that your eating your minimum because carbohydrates're necessary, for brain function. You don't have to go extremely low or eliminate anything, unless it's for health reasons. Only do what is sustainable, for you to continue to do; for the rest of your life.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling down.

My first thoughts though when I look at the title of this thread is that 'it' will stop when you take ownership and become accountable. That in itself is a process I'm afraid. Why Atkins again? You may initially have lost weight using it but it didn't prove longevity. To start take an honest look at the portion sizes of what you are eating/drinking, weigh everything and track it in the diary. Just these simple things may highlight areas which you can quite easily modify. Are you able to do any exercise? A daily walk will help your weight/physicality and your self esteem.

I know it's hard at times, believe me, but don't feel down about it - that won't change anything. Only YOU have the power to change and there is so much support on MFP for you, so don't be afraid to use it!

I wish you the best of luck.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Honestly low carb is a waste of time and not really good for you. I'd much rather have a good balance of proteins and carbs and keep my fats around 20% of my overall diet. Just get yourself in a 20% calorie deficit and you will lose. It will be a diet you can maintain for life too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am back again, and a little down today. I have been fighting my obesity now for 15 years. Several times I have lost 20 only to gain it back. I been back and forth with low carb, more times than I can remember. At least I am not at my all time high of 342 pounds from back in 2008. I am 324 now, but I need to lose 100 pounds.

Three weeks ago I started Atkins again and the first week the weight flew off. I went from 328 to 321 in one week, and was feeling great. Most likely water weight at first. Two weeks later and my weight is 324, and I feel bloated. Ive been drinking water too, and really sticking with it.

So I have decided to just watch calories and stick with it here on Myfitnesspal. In late 2014, I did get down to 307 just from counting calories, so I know it is possible.

I guess I am here this morning because I could use a "pick me up!" I need some motivation.

@thedarkwombat based on my personal success over the last 18 months you have finally made a decision that may change the rest of your life for the better. I did something similar (LCHF) starting Oct 2014 that has been a game changer for me. MFP has a few groups doing what you are doing so you can find more meaningful info. The one below has been a huge help to me and some have been where you are today.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Welcome to MFP forums and best of success.

• zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am in the same cycle. I do well for a bit and then it all comes back. I have resolved myself to quit the extreme diets and try to eat balanced macros with room for things I want. Sometimes I have too many things I want and not enough balance, but I find that I am getting a little bit better as I go.

If something hasn't worked out long term in the past, maybe just make an adjustment. It isn't supposed to be easy. Nothing worth it is. Just keep moving in the right direction. Be honest with yourself and kind to yourself without giving in to excuses.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Know that you are not alone. Many of us have done the yo=yo thing. I agree that maybe a 'diet' isn't right for you. Do log everything that goes in your mouth. And study it. Where can you cut things out or sub in? You don't need to overhaul everything at once. Perhaps start with adding vegetables to every meal. Eat those first and see if you can't cut out other things on your plate. Can you exercise or walk? Every little movement helps in the long run. No one starts out doing a marathon. you take baby steps. Look over what works for you and tweet. It's a lifelong habit...that is, you will not be able to return to poor habits and maintain a weight loss. Good luck!
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! That's when it gets worse. Just start over every day and try to get some good days in a row. I have been on every diet under the sun and low carb is good for quick weight loss, but I've also noticed you gain it back very quickly, and especially when you go back and forth with it. Lowering sugar and carbs generally is a healthy choice but maybe don't eliminate anything completely. You can do this! One day at a time. I will send you a friend request. I go back and forth a lot, but it really helps to know people are watching and there to encourage you.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    This is a long process, but you're totally capable of doing it. ^_^ Just keep in mind that whatever change you make to your eating habits to lose weight should be one you'll be willing to keep doing for the rest of your life. If you like doing low carb, then that's fine. Some people are perfectly happy with that. But if you only look at it as a quick weight loss plan, it doesn't help you keep the weight off. CICO is the reason why diets work, but if you don't take the time to learn habits to do that on your own, you'll continue to yo-yo diet. If you change your eating habits to ones you're comfortable with, you'll have a much easier time with not only losing the weight, but staying in your goal range once you get there. It's slow, but it works, and can totally do it. ^_^
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you guys are so supportive. This is just what I needed. It took a lot just to make this thread.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good comments above, @thedarkwombat .

To me the difference is that people try to diet versus changing their diet. One is a verb, the other a noun. Going on a diet is temporary and by definition it comes to an end, isn't sustainable, and creates the yo-yo effect you describe above. You are much better off making changes to your diet that are sustainable and effective as part of your lifestyle, not a temporary quick-fix, like cutting carbs. Your body requires carbs to function properly, so by denying your body those nutrients for an extended period of time you sort of set yourself up for failure, in my book (you fall off the carb wagon and binge). But YMMV, that's just my opinion (I tried Adkins once, worked for about 2 weeks, then it was back to the real world...).

The only really effective method is to make sure your calories in are less than your calorie out (CICO). If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. Period. Exercise is not required, but can be a way to give the process a little push/nudge. 80%-90% of your gains (or losses in this case!) will be through your calories consumed.

There is a ton of advice on here about ways to manage your calorie intake, foods to eat, etc. For me, when I was in "losing mode", I tried to keep my foods to low fat options (lite mayo, low fat cheeses/dairy, lots of fruit and veggies), and kept my carbs under control at dinner time (that worked for me). I would have most of my carbs early in the day (oatmeal for breakfast) and lunch (sandwiches with bread, etc). You just have to find what works for you. Don't deprive yourself, though. If you're hungry, eat. Don't go to bed hungry (I would get hunger headaches at first until I learned how to up my calories).

Lean meats like chicken, turkey, lean ground beef even. Tuna is great! Eggs. Lots of veggies! Mustard is a great way to add flavor for ZERO calories! Salsa is awesome, its like 10 calories for a tablespoon or two.

Measure EVERYTHING that goes on your plate and into your mouth! Do NOT guestimate! You will be wrong.

Find healthy recipes for some of your favorite foods. There are websites that will show you ways to cook up a low-cal version of almost anything! I like cookinglight.com. Some folks use skinnycook.com. And once you put the recipe in MFP, it's easy to just pop it in next time you make it! BOOM!

In the end, you are doing this for you. If you have more successful days than bad days, you will win in the end.

Good luck!
  • KrystalErin0429
    KrystalErin0429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here's to the end of that cycle! For both of us!!