depression

Options
I am going to see my DR. today to see if I have depression. I was just wondering how other people realized they had depression. If you do not mind sharing it would be feel like I am not wasting my time, Thanks for your input

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I realized I had depression after almost 10 yrs of having it because mine didn't manifest as sadness as much as it did anger. I was angry all the time about the most ridiculous things. I went off on my mom once for helping do something and that was when I realized it wasn't normal and I needed to figure it out.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I get like that sometimes.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt .. But what are you depressed for!?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »

What does it matter.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »

Clinical depression is a chemical disbalance in the brain and is a serious disability. You do not get depressed for.. [insert word].

Please inform yourself before being...blunt.. as you might offend someone. Especially with the "!?" at the end.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to the doctor have them check your vitamin D level. Turns out I was severely deprived. I started taking a supplement & I swear it was like going from night to day! You might want to also ask about Omega vitamins because they help with mood balancing & there's a great naturopathic pill called Sam-e that is made specifically for treating depression. (You can get it at whole foods, for sure). St. John's Wart is good too.
    If you are clinically severely depressed your Dr may want to prescribe you medication. Pharmaceuticals can really help with coping & get you back on your feet. Just make sure you seek counseling as well. You want to get to the cause of the problem and fix it with lifestyle changes. Don't just treat the symptoms!
    Good luck, I wish you well!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Depression manifests itself in many different ways so although it's helpful to talk about it, the way my depression makes me feel may not be the same for you.
    That being said, if you think you have depression, you're probably right. Seeing a doctor about it is a wise decision. Please be patient as this will take some time to rectify. If you doctor puts you on medication, you may need to try a few different ones before you find the one that works for you. Be patient.
    In the meantime, make sure you are eating well, getting plenty of rest, and exercising. Exercise is the most important thing for me (after meds) for managing my depression.
    Best of luck. And be patient.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Depression manifests itself in many different ways so although it's helpful to talk about it, the way my depression makes me feel may not be the same for you.
    That being said, if you think you have depression, you're probably right. Seeing a doctor about it is a wise decision. Please be patient as this will take some time to rectify. If you doctor puts you on medication, you may need to try a few different ones before you find the one that works for you. Be patient.
    In the meantime, make sure you are eating well, getting plenty of rest, and exercising. Exercise is the most important thing for me (after meds) for managing my depression.
    Best of luck. And be patient.

What she said. It's different for everyone but medication can make a world of difference if you need it. Please don't be afraid of that. Good Luck! I've been there and at times still struggle with it. Just be aware of yourself and don't let it get too bad without telling someone!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If your doctor tells you to start meds first without trying anything else, I would be wary of that. There are other things to try, and if your depression is mild, things like exercise or upping vitamins can help even things out. However, if you do need meds, there's no shame in it.

For me, I didn't get diagnosed until I got married and had insurance. We did discover that I wasn't absorbing B12 very well, and tried upping that and adding exercise. Neither worked for me and we ended up going with meds. I don't like that I have to take something every day now, but it has made a huge difference so I've learned to accept it!

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety but I think I'm out of it completely after years of suffering. I didn't take any meds but did self-help CBT courses. Did all the exercises they gave me every week religiously. Worked miracles for me. But you have to be persistent for a long time. Much like logging food in here diligently for months.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wasn't diagnosed until I'd failed several college classes and lost 50 lbs in a few months from little desire to eat. When my university health clinic counselor heard about the weight loss, he got me an appointment with the psychiatrist right away. I didn't realize how serious it was until later. I felt like I was just being lazy and it was all my fault that I couldn't get myself out of the house.

Now I have to make sure I eat well, get enough sleep, and exercise, or it can get pretty dark, pretty fast. Medication can be helpful, but it takes time to find the perfect balance.
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    don't listen to.. "what are you depressed about!" "do exercise" "you just need to cheer up" that is NOT the case at all… depression is bad and I've been there… go to the doctor's as soon as possible and make sure you go for counseling also if put on medication.. a counselor is good, just to get out of you what is bothering you, it is all piled up inside you, you need to get it out. Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain and can be helped with medicine. Go and get help.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    one235 wrote: »
    don't listen to.. "what are you depressed about!" "do exercise" "you just need to cheer up" that is NOT the case at all… depression is bad and I've been there… go to the doctor's as soon as possible and make sure you go for counseling also if put on medication.. a counselor is good, just to get out of you what is bothering you, it is all piled up inside you, you need to get it out. Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain and can be helped with medicine. Go and get help.

+1
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you need lithium, take lithium. If you need Prozac, take Prozac. If you need to change your diet, change your diet. Just don't give up and accept the hell of it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Looking back, I was depressed for many years before seeking treatment, because it manifested more as anger and fear. It was only after I learned to control those that it took on the classic symptoms of losing interest in things once enjoyed and general unrelenting sadness. I know some people get a lot of relief from talk therapy, particularly cognitive behavioral, but I was not one of them. My issues seem to be mostly chemical and the right mix of meds makes a huge night and day difference.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was holding my breath at the bottom of the ocean and couldn't even see the light at the surface anymore. Emotionally, of course. That's the only thing I could ever compare it to. Exercise and healthy diet helped me a lot. So did the over-the-counter supplement 5-HTP. The hardest part was forcing myself to get up and get motivated. Especially with people's lack of understanding, as displayed above--always thinking there has to be a "reason" or an "event" that CAUSED you to become depressed. It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    For me I have depression and anxiety. When I'm depressed I also have trouble with my stomach (GERD) and flare ups with that. It's very physical for me. My doctor is really great and I'm trying some new combinations of meds now. I'm hopeful that this will help. It's different for everyone but for me I have a lot of physical symptoms when depressed and anxious. My sleep ends up messed up too. It's good you are going to the doctor--that's a very good place to start.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have had it since puberty hit. It has been worse and gotten better my whole life but I've never been 'cured'. I look at it as a condition that needs to be managed, in the same way a person has to manage their diabetes. I've learned:

1) There is nothing to be ashamed about. Asking for help is the best way to get through it.
    2) If the doctor prescribes meds, take them. You may not need them your whole life but they will certainly help get you out of the bad place you are in. Sometimes, during depression, a person keeps doing the same thing over and over and remains depressed. I like to say that the medication can help bounce you out of the rut you are in. Depression can be caused by outlying factors (such as a death) but it is also caused by internal factors (chemical imbalance in your brain).
    3) Exercise, even just walk. Those feel good hormones really help.
    4) Do something for your mind, meditation, yoga, dance, laugh, whatever you enjoy. The mind tends to race with negative thoughts during depression. Find that thing that helps you find the positive (meditation and yoga worked wonders for me).
    5) Eat healthy. I found avoiding caffeine, processed foods, fried foods, etc, seems to help me.
    6) Find a good support system. I think I wore out the kindness of my friends with all the negativity that comes with depression. A good impartial counselor helped me quite a bit.
    7) Sleep. Sleep is hard with those thoughts that don't stop but it is important. The meditation helps me get to sleep too.

You will get through this and feel better. Good luck to you!
  • Emily_Phillips20
    Emily_Phillips20 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of issues before realising I was depressed at about 16, that's when I tried to get help. From 12-18 I self harmed a lot. When I saw a doctor about it I was passed from person to person until I was 18 and could be treated as an adult. I only got help whilst at university and that's because I did something drastic and overdosed, ended up in hospital and saw a mental health team there. At 19 I tried antidepressants, gave them a few months and they weren't for me. After that I just felt so much better cause the medication made me feel worse than before I went to get help. I tried counselling, and was on a list for CBT. But by the time I got the help I needed I was in a bad way, I knew I was depressed but at 16 I was the age where I couldn't be treated by child services or adults so had to wait.

I hope seeing a doctor helps you, depression is awful and I wish you all the best xx
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was anything "wrong" with me for years because I was acting like my mom. Nobody mentioned anything about depression until my then bf made me talk to my dad when I left university because I wasn't able to deal with: an overly controlling, mentally abusive bf; a newborn baby, a full load of university courses, hold down a job, and keep the apartment tidy at the same time. Mom suggested I had postpartum depression. When I started looking into it, and talking with the few doctors/counselors who could be bothered, I was diagnosed with clinical depression mostly due to me having all the symptoms of PPD before being pregnant and giving birth.

I'm not the person to ask for advice. I don't take meds or go to therapy. Those didn't help me, so I self-medicate with food, usually chocolate, and gaming which actually helps.