How often should I get on the scale?

Options
So, what do you say? How often should I weigh myself?

I've been exercising and eating healthy for a couple of months and I've already lost 3-3'5 kg. I weigh about 64kg right now, and my goal is about 55-57 kg (I am 1,56m). As you can see, I'm just slightly a bit overweight (BMI 26), and I'm finding it a bit difficult to drop those last kilos.

For the last two weeks, I've been weighing myself everyday, and I found out that the scale will always stay the same, ranging from 63'6 to 63'9... BUT, I can really see a difference on my body shape: my gym clothes are quite baggy now, and I think I dropped a size even if I weigh the same.

So... here comes my question? Should I keep on weighing myself everyday, or maybe once a week? Would it be a good idea to stop using the scale and rely on how my clothes fit me and how I see myself in the mirror?

I mean, I feel quite frustrated right now, but on the other hand I KNOW that there must be some progress, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed any difference in my clothes.

PS: Sorry if there's something you don't understand, I'm Spanish and I'm not still proficient in English ;)

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Your english seems great to me! The last few kilos are always the hardest and seem to take 4x longer then the other weight did to drop off. Weigh as often as you like, if you find weighing everyday is frustrating, pick 1 day per week and weigh then.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I don't get on the scale more than twice a month. It is no benefit to get on the scale more frequently than that. Keep your time of day consistent also,
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Once per week in the morning. :)
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you like. Maybe try a few different ways and see how it makes you feel. I tried weighing weekly but in the end I prefer to weigh myself daily, first thing in the morning. I have gotten used to seeing the fluctuations. I didn't like having to wait a week or longer to see my weight.

One benefit is that I can see how what I eat on particular days (especially high calorie days), affects my weight over the next few days. Also, I've seen my weight go up (and down) so many times that it doesn't bother me any more, because I am now confident that it's by staying within my calorie limits that I maintain my weight loss. Imagine seeing your weight 30 times in a month vs 4 times in a month.

As opposed to what others might think for themselves, I think there are many benefits to weighing frequently.

In the end, no one can answer that question except yourself.
  • motorcycle21
    motorcycle21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning when I get up. If I have gained. Makes me try harder for the day
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning when I wake up unless I get sidetracked by my 5 month old and drink or eat before I get a chance. I find it makes me be more dedicated to my day.
  • Elsie_LV
    Elsie_LV Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling healthy and you're looking good then maybe don't pay so much attention to the numbers on the scale. You could be toning up and building muscle making the numbers go up in a good way. :)
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Weight will fluctuate throughout the whole day due to water retention & how soon you've had a meal before you got on it. It's good to track you weight loss but don't become dependent on a weighing scale, do as you feel what's right.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weight and record once a week, fasting ( before eating ) but after using the bathroom. You want a consistent time and day of the week.

More frequently if you want, thou there is little benefit.

The last few lbs./kilos will take longer. Make sure to adjust your target intake every 5 kilos lost or so.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I hate the scales :(
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're the type who freaks out and gets discouraged because your weight fluctuates up and down on a daily basis, weigh yourself every one or two weeks as people above suggest. Else, weigh yourself as often as you want.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    If you're the type who freaks out and gets discouraged because your weight fluctuates up and down on a daily basis, weigh yourself every one or two weeks as people above suggest. Else, weigh yourself as often as you want.

I have seen this advice before and never understood it. Seems like it could make things even worse. If you haven't weighed yourself in 2 weeks and happen to weigh yourself on a heavy day when it looks like you haven't lost (or even like you have gained) wouldn't that freak you out much more since it's over a 2 week period? For example, you could see 175 lbs....then 170 lbs.... then 171 lbs. Oh no, you gained weight!!! Nope, you have lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks (175 to 171), you just had a low/light weigh-in in the middle. If you weighed daily you would have seen it bounce around with a generally decreasing trend.

If you weigh more frequently at least you would have seen the low/light day weigh-ins. It's all preferences, but I'd prefer to see what is going on more frequently.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I hit the bathroom upon waking up. However, I only TRACK my weight on Monday mornings. All other weigh-ins are merely to see consistency or fluctuations so I can adjust accordingly (i.e., more exercise, less sodium - to name my big 2).

In the past I was obsessed with the fluctuations from weighing every day, but now I'm not. I'm not even stressed if a weekly weigh-in comes in at a gain. Because it is just one weigh-in out of many, many more as I work toward my goal!
  • emhorn625
    emhorn625 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday mornings
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    every day
  • clang74
    clang74 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weighing often sounds great, but leads to discouragement. I tend to weigh after I've had a few awesome days of exercise. Probably about 1 or 2x a week, but no schedule. It'll keep you motivated!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do everyday, looking at the trends overall.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do once every couple weeks, in the morning, after I have used the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything. That way I'll be generally in the same mode when I weigh myself, as weight can fluctuate several pounds throughout the day.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, after using the bathroom and before eating anything. It depends on you, but seeing the daily fluctuations actually make my weight loss feel more real to me, if that makes sense. I know I'm actually losing (overall) and not just weighing myself on a day I happen to be lighter.

If seeing the daily fluctuations discourages you, weigh yourself weekly or biweekly or monthly. Maybe track your measurements instead of your weight since you haven't noticed a big change in the scale. It's all about what makes you feel best and the most motivated. Good luck!
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    I weigh every morning after I hit the bathroom upon waking up. However, I only TRACK my weight on Monday mornings. All other weigh-ins are merely to see consistency or fluctuations so I can adjust accordingly (i.e., more exercise, less sodium - to name my big 2).

In the past I was obsessed with the fluctuations from weighing every day, but now I'm not. I'm not even stressed if a weekly weigh-in comes in at a gain. Because it is just one weigh-in out of many, many more as I work toward my goal!

That is a good idea... I think I'm gonna try it..