My shoes are rubbing the back of my feet....

Options
I have wide feet. From what I read, it could be my weight. When did you have to buy new shoes? I just got these shoes in December. Now, they are rubbing the back of my ankle and causing a lot of pain/discomfort.

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If they rub now, they'll rub later. I think you just got some uncomfortable shoes.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    New shoes that fit properly!! Go to a shoe store and have them fitted!! I have wide feet and have forever, when I was skinny and then fat and now in between...still wide!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Are you running? If so, did you get the correct shoes for your feet/gait?

Check out the videos in this post for ideas on how to tie your shoes to help with various issues (including heel rubbing).

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/alternative-ways-to-tie-your-running-shoes
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet and have had shoe problems what feels like forever. I have this problem every time I get new shoes. I would suggest wearing a taller sock. It typically does this to me when my socks are below the top of the back of the shoe. I know it would be nice to have socks that don't show some times but there are socks out there that are just above that part of the shoe. I would also look to see if your socks are falling below that area during your workout/run, if so they may be too big. I also always get this effect with new shoes because the back areas tend to be turned in towards your foot (also depends on the type/brand/fit of the shoe). I tend to wear a Band-Aid (I use the larger ones) under my socks the first week I wear brand new shoes because I have to get them worn in and the Band-Aid is an extra layer of protection.

If you're getting a blister its because of the friction, I would use some of these tricks that I've learned or try some of your own but remember is because of friction between your skin and the shoe. If you are wearing these shoes everyday and it's still doing this after 1-2 weeks I would consider going to the shoe store and talk to a "professional" about the right type of shoes for you.
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never, ever ever cut corners when it comes to shoes or socks. I also have over 40 pairs, which I'm pretty sure qualifies me as a sneakerhead.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. I have a widish foot, high arch and narrow heel. All I can suggest is going to your shoe supplier and taking the time to try on a bunch of different shoes until you find a pair that feels perfect. Also consider getting the 2 ply running socks, they can reduce friction making a slightly less than perfect fit bearable.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If the shoes didn't rub the back of your foot before you started losing weight, you can try using the lock on them, if they have that feature, which most running shoes do.

The lock is the hole next to the top hole. To use it, you feed the lace on that side over the top so it looks like a straight stitch, then you criss cross the laces putting each under the oppsite side's stitch/loop/lace then tighten, and tie.

They really help keeping the shoe at the same position on your foot.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    How often are you wearing these same shoes? Shoes definitely get their fair share of wear and tear and taking good care of your feet is very important. Socks make a difference as well.

I'm not quite a "sneakerhead" like @wisenbsd, but I've accumulated several pairs of workout shoes and rotate them regularly. Finding a brand and style that fit is important as well.
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    How often are you wearing these same shoes? Shoes definitely get their fair share of wear and tear and taking good care of your feet is very important. Socks make a difference as well.

I'm not quite a "sneakerhead" like @wisenbsd, but I've accumulated several pairs of workout shoes and rotate them regularly. Finding a brand and style that fit is important as well.

true...I have very specific shoes for each occasion. weights=hi-top chucks, cardio=nike air max 2015 or under armour micro g's, casual=adidas NEO's, jordan's or clarks
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    wisenbsd wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

true...I have very specific shoes for each occasion. weights=hi-top chucks, cardio=nike air max 2015 or under armour micro g's, casual=adidas NEO's, jordan's or clarks

Yep, correct shoes for your specific activity is important.

And to the OP, it doesn't have to be expensive either. Assuming you are talking about workout shoes, not sure where you're located but JC Penny always has good sales on fitness shoes as does Sports Authority.
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Get some moleskin from the drugstore it's under $5 you can use as much or as little as needed and has helped save my poor ankles from blisters billions of times. Advice from my retired usmc boyfriend who used them daily on active duty
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In the foot section at the drug store.
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If the shoes didn't rub the back of your foot before you started losing weight, you can try using the lock on them, if they have that feature, which most running shoes do.

The lock is the hole next to the top hole. To use it, you feed the lace on that side over the top so it looks like a straight stitch, then you criss cross the laces putting each under the oppsite side's stitch/loop/lace then tighten, and tie.

They really help keeping the shoe at the same position on your foot.

Totally this!!

I have wide width and this stopped the heel lift!

Good luck....
  • ZombieMomTreks
    ZombieMomTreks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Get sized at a running store, bring your current sneakers with you. I wear sneakers for over pronating and have special inserts added to them. I also have an app to track the mileage I put on them. Usually around 400 miles, I find my feet hurting and need to get new ones.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I had this problem last week (in a pair of shoes I've had for several months and had plenty of time to break in). I always wear short ankle socks. I went out and bought men's ankle socks (Adidas brand). They come up just a little bit higher on me than the women's, so my shoe can't rub my ankle. They are also not as tight on my wide feet as the women's socks are, so I'm much more comfortable.