Orangetheory - thoughts?

Options
Orangetheory is relatively new to my area and I'm thinking about giving it a try. It's a little pricey but I'm looking for something that is t crossfit and has more of a sense of community/support than just going to the gym on my own.

Does anybody have experience with it? Positive or negative feedback?

Thanks!!

Replies

• saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started 10 days ago which opened newly and I love it so far. I felt like I'm gonna faint the first class. It was all fine from the second class. What I love the most is there is no "suck it up!!" attitude there. Everyone pushes themselves as much as they can and the trainers are always happy to help.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I took the complimentary class. I think they really ought to offer a two week pass to get a better feel for it. As an example F45 gave me a two week pass and I got a real feel for the classes, instructors, members, camaraderie. It wasn't for me but I can see why lots of people love OTF. As far as cost if you enjoy it and it fits your budget then cost is individual if you find it worth it or not.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just so you know there is nothing magic or unique that they are doing. I mention that because they charge a premium based on the idea that their workout is inherently superior to others. (To be fair, many other programs do the same). Their claims of "afterburn" are essentially woo.

That being said, if one likes the atmosphere, and the exercise routine and you feel it motivates you and will keep you consistent, then it might be worth every penny. Just make a decision based on facts, not marketing hype.
  • chbruns
    chbruns Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Azdak- I totally get you. I'm not lured in by hyped up afterburn effect. I'm just looking for something where there are classes but not crossfit.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Just so you know there is nothing magic or unique that they are doing. I mention that because they charge a premium based on the idea that their workout is inherently superior to others. (To be fair, many other programs do the same). Their claims of "afterburn" are essentially woo.

That being said, if one likes the atmosphere, and the exercise routine and you feel it motivates you and will keep you consistent, then it might be worth every penny. Just make a decision based on facts, not marketing hype.

The bold! If you feel like this is something you will stick to and is something that will help you meet your overall goals then the price could very well be worth it.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My wife has been a member since November and literally goes 6 days a week every week, has made allot of new friends, and brags about it to everyone and tries to convince people to join all the time, she can't say enough great things about it. I tried a complimentary class and it was great I really enjoyed it and I received a way better workout than expected. As someone else mentioned there is nothing special about their workout plan... And they do overhype to get people in the door but like my wife tells everyone she actually looks forward to going to workout and see the trainers/community she has met and that's really the most important part of a group setting type gym like otf. I personally enjoy my 24 hour membership more because I like to be alone and just knock out my sets by myself but I completely understand otfs concept.
  • usedtobee
    usedtobee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I go to Orange Theory on average 3 times a week, sometimes 4, and I love it!! Great instructors, great music, completely different workout each time and my fitness has improved no end since going for nearly a year now
  • catedesimone
    catedesimone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I personally really love it! I overlook the silly afterburn claims they make, but I do love wearing a heart rate monitor and seeing a visual of how hard I pushed myself. Instructors can be hit or miss just like anywhere else. I tried several classes with different instructors until I found a couple that I preferred. I originally signed up for the 4x a month plan, but I'm now about to bump up to the 8x a month plan. I attend other exercise classes during the week, but I push myself the hardest at orange theory and I always leave on an adrenaline high. I definitely recommend it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Statistically people who exercise in groups, regardless of the exercise regimen, usually fair better than those that exercise alone when it comes to consistency and intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

I don't think anyone said magic or unique. And i don't think the premium is because of the afterburn. If that was the case you could do it on your own. I think, like the last poster said, it's the group motivation, and the fact that only 20 or so people can be in there at a time makes the cost go up. Plus some people, myself included, are just gym snobs, who pay a certain price for newer equipment, latest fitness trends, and not random people wandering around your gym. I find it motivation, and I don't think I would keep my heart rate up on my own during workouts. Cheaper than a personal trainer with all the benefits and more.
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can do a lot of that stuff from OTF on my own. Or in a gym. Do I though? And at the same intensity? NO. Plus, the fact that you schedule is makes you more accountable. It's like when you say to your friend "meet me at the gym" but instead of deciding to just bail on your friend, you lose your session. So, I show up! Any work out that you actually do is the best workout..

I really like it though. I've been working with a trainer for the last year who has helped me to sort of recoup from a hip injury, and I still work with him to keep my form good. But in order to kick up the intensity, I like OTF. Plus, it allows me to just focus on the work and not have to think about what my work out is going to be that day, having to write things down and all that. I can just focus on whether I need heavier weights or if I can kick my strider/treadmill/rower speed, etc up.

Like with anything else, you have to try out the different instructors/teachers to find the ones you love. Having friends who go isn't exactly necessary either, since you should be working too hard to chat, haha.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the color orange.
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I can't stand the color orange.

Lol. There is an abundance there.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that has classes based on the same idea. It isn't called Orange Theory, of course, but it is the same sort of exercises, heart rate monitors, a break down of strength and cardio, even the rowers. I really like the workouts, of course, I pay way less for my membership and get access to an entire gym.