Greek Yogurt Dessert

Options
belimawr
belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
Hey guys,

Did a search, not liking the results. So, I need some help.

I searched, no results on MFP and everything elsewhere is either using it in baked goods, or "add fruit and enjoy."

I'm bored of tossing in berries. It's good, enjoyable, but time for something different. That said if it is something different, but has fruit in it, I definitely will try it.

Cabot has a good Greek yogurt chocolate pudding on their site. That's all I could find. It's good, I've made it a few times, but like the berries, time for something different.

I've done a couple of the "dips" like "chocolate cheesecake dip." They're fine, but I want something that stands on its own without adding cookies or what-have-you.

What I'm looking for are some desserts using greek yogurt where the yogurt is still pretty much yogurt or close to it. It doesn't have to taste like Greek yogurt (in other words, can add other flavors). I have no issues with sweeteners, so sugar, stevia, sucralose, etc, are fine; I have some of each. Just not too much (I want flavor, not the taste of sugar). It's dessert, so it should be sweet, right?

I don't want baked goods (i.e. brownies using the yogurt instead of oil). As I said, keep the yogurt in the forefront.

If you're wondering why the Greek yogurt, it's because I enjoy it, and usually get the two container pack at Costco when I go. Nothing to do with health, to be honest. Plus, it's simple to throw in my lunch bag and take to work with me.

I think I may be making this a bit difficult, but definitely interesting in what people have to contribute, if anything. :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread for some ideas........

This salad is nice, but it's not exactly stand alone (lots of ingredients).

Grape Salad: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/creamy-grape-dessert.html

Another one (really old school). Back in the day I would dissolve sugar-free jello in 1 cup water and chill until it was the consistency of egg whites. Then I would use a mixer to whip in plain yogurt. I'm sure Greek would work. This gives you the consistency of Yoplait Whips. This was decades before "Whips" came out.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mix in some thawed frozen cherries, grate some 70% cocoa chocolate into it, sweeten with stevia etc. Or you can do banana and chocolate. Tastes best with 2% or full fat yogurt.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I add apricot preserves, two tablespoons - to a half cup of yogurt and put a few macadamia nuts
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks to who have replied so far.
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I'll be watching this thread for some ideas........

Another one (really old school). Back in the day I would dissolve sugar-free jello in 1 cup water and chill until it was the consistency of egg whites. Then I would use a mixer to whip in plain yogurt. I'm sure Greek would work. This gives you the consistency of Yoplait Whips. This was decades before "Whips" came out.

I was wondering about this! I had contemplated adding Jell-O to the yogurt, but didn't want to waste it. I waste a lot of food experimenting, I must admit... but certain foods I will not (honestly, not because of money, but simply because I enjoy them too much, I have wasted some pretty expensive stuff).
    vingogly wrote: »
    Mix in some thawed frozen cherries, grate some 70% cocoa chocolate into it, sweeten with stevia etc. Or you can do banana and chocolate. Tastes best with 2% or full fat yogurt.

A combination of the Greek Chocolate Pudding (I forgot the link earlier, https://www.cabotcheese.coop/greek-yogurt-chocolate-pudding), I'll give it a shot.
    I add apricot preserves, two tablespoons - to a half cup of yogurt and put a few macadamia nuts

Thanks.

One other I forgot to mention I tried... I got bored one day and mixed equal parts Greek yogurt and applesauce (unsweetened, but I doubt it matters - I just happened to find an unsweetened at a local store that is sweet as is, and likely be too sweet if I add a sweetener). Kind of a yogurt variation on Apple Snow.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can add protein powder or a bit of jello instant pudding mix to make another kind of protein-type thing.

Or mix it with nut butter/PN2.

Or do this one (I haven't tried it) http://www.abakinggirl.com/2013/01/21/greek-yogurt-cheesecake/
  • socialbutterfly36
    socialbutterfly36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt in my protein shakes just make sure it doesn't have corn syrup and is less then 20 g of sugar 13 g of sugar for 6 ounces is the best but as long as it's less then 20g that's what I heard.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up by using the various extracts in my poor neglected baking stash. Try a frozen tropical fruit blend with greek yogurt, rum extract and sweetener of your choice to taste. Whiz up in the blender and it's like a pina colada ice cream. (Or add real rum if it's that kind of day!) Frozen cherries and almond extract is also yummy. Sugar free Torani syrups are also a nice way to add some flavor to your yogurt/fruit combos.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love plain Greek yogurt with peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, and a splash of vanilla extract.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Greek Yogurt Cookie Dough

xad2blspr2e7.png

calories/ carbs/ fats/ protein/ sugar/ fiber
  • runbabarun
    runbabarun Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding crushed hazelnuts? It's good fat and gives a great crunch. It is really filling too. In addition to berries etc, which do get boring, I add a spoon of honey and 20 or so crushed (150 cals) hazelnuts. Really good stuff. And yeah, Greek yogurt is the way to go!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I add powdered peanut butter, maybe a couple oreos, or some 100 calorie brownie, cocoa powder, stevia, walden farms syrups....mmm. Basically I take any cookie/treat that I can't normally eat one or two of, and crumble up one or two into the yogurt. Sometimes I end up with bits of cereal, chocolate chips...The other day I actually put chex mix, chocolate chips, and powdered peanut butter in there. Just throw stuff on top of it lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    That was a good one. Peanut butter filled preztels and oreos on Fage 0%

16m2aaxgiowc.jpg