Protein

Options
Beth_Marshall
Beth_Marshall Posts: 30 Member
I'm really struggling to hit my protein goals each day. I'm on a tight budget so things like powders aren't really an option. Any other ways I can increase it?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, calorie for calorie, powders are probably your cheapest options.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    What should I be looking for in a good powder then? And are they worth it for weight loss...I'm so uneducated on this topic
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What should I be looking for in a good powder then? And are they worth it for weight loss...I'm so uneducated on this topic

Protein doesn't affect weight loss, but it can help you feel full
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They are just a supplement to hit your protein goals. They don't help with weight loss. If you can hit your goals with real food (preferably animal flesh in my opinion), no need for them.
  • socialbutterfly36
    socialbutterfly36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein or any kind of nuts bestially almonds. You can get protein powder and mix it in my name but you said that's not an option. I will try to find other alternatives too protein. Many grams of protein do you need a day?
  • socialbutterfly36
    socialbutterfly36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's what I use. 30 g of protein and only 1 g of sugar.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    My goal on my fitness pall is 80g
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein or any kind of nuts bestially almonds. You can get protein powder and mix it in my name but you said that's not an option. I will try to find other alternatives too protein. Many grams of protein do you need a day?

Peanut butter has some protein but it's not really a 'good' source, it has more fat than protein.
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Canned tuna & bulk chicken
  • Joanie456
    Joanie456 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder but not every day---sometimes I don't get enough protein and I find if I use it every other day--once a day---I find it fills in where I can't with meat or eggs
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of boneless, skinless, chicken breast (about $2 a pound here). Tuna, fish, turkey breast, lean beef, are all good protein sources and you can purchase them all for less than $2 per serving. I use protein shakes, but they can be expensive - you have to be a good shopper and know what ingredients you want and what you don't. Amazon is a good source for a wide variety and semi-reasonable prices.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Chicken, beef, pork, fish, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese for starters. Most, if not all, of that is pretty cheap.

Nuts are a better source of fat than protein. Peanut butter is 190 calories per serving with about 7g protein. That isn't worth it to me and my small calorie goal.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Canned sardines (tons of protein, calcium, potassium and low cal for the amount of protein), salmon, chicken, eggs, cheese, yogurt, canned tuna or other canned fish-canned fish is always cheaper than regular. Buying online in bulk frozen is a great way to save money vs buying individually. You can buy bulk chicken, turkey, fish, etc. There are other proteins that aren't animal but they are not always "complete" proteins so need to be eaten with other foods that complete them like beans, lentils, green peas, quinoa, etc.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast. I eat double what you do for protein and I get most of it from Costco chicken breast. For $25 I get enough to last me 20 meals.