depression

Options

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt again, But I belive you should be happy! I don't care what others here want to tell you at OP. I don't believe in sugar coating my words either, But alot of us in life will go through things just know there is sunshine on the other side and you will make it regardless of what anyone's says or does. :)

@Jacob1020 I couldn't understand why my Mom couldn't just be "happy," then she committed suicide during a severe bout of depression. I think you mean well, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about. There is a genetic tendency toward depression and guess which one of the five kids in my family drew the short straw? It's ongoing for me, but I have been relatively free of serious episodes for several years now. I believe exercise and spending quality time outdoors helps me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I am going to see my DR. today to see if I have depression. I was just wondering how other people realized they had depression. If you do not mind sharing it would be feel like I am not wasting my time, Thanks for your input

I do. And meds don't always work.
    I've found exercise helpful though.

I am glad you found something that works for you. ( I hope that did not come out sarcastic). exercise alone does not do it for me. When I have tests and chores coming up, they seem to pile up even though I seem to do ok, and get everything done OK. I might have an anxiety disorder mixed in,

Like others said, somewhere there's a combination that will work for you.
    I took Zoloft for the first few years after diagnosis and it was great but I adjusted to it and it stopped working.
    All the others I tried did nothing for me.
    I might try some of the homeopathic ones mentioned but I've heard you should talk to a Dr. first if you're going to take St. John's wort. Exercise is working enough to keep me sane though.

• jesslynn9293
    jesslynn9293 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt again, But I belive you should be happy! I don't care what others here want to tell you at OP. I don't believe in sugar coating my words either, But alot of us in life will go through things just know there is sunshine on the other side and you will make it regardless of what anyone's says or does. :)

I feel that is guy is obnoxious and, like some have already said, completely ignorant to what depression is.
    It is not something you can just "cheer up" from. You can't "just be happy".
    Depression is, wishing you could just be happy yet feeling like you never will be truly happy. It's putting on a mask to the outside world and being normal, yet on the inside you feel like you're drowning in the ocean with no sign of land or a boat to save you. That ocean is life, and everything about life that is normal human activities like, getting out of bed, going to work or school, calling someone on the phone for something, answering simple questions, making decisions, getting any small task done, etc... Any of these, simple, easy, normal things for most people can feel like hell when you have depression.
    And people usually don't understand unless they have it themselves. That's actually the only way they can truly understand what it's like.

I know what it's like to feel like you can't handle anything at all, like you can't handle life in general. Where it's easier to just be alone and play video games and escape than deal with things that need to be done.

My advice, is DO NOT GIVE UP! It sucks to feel like this, I know, but it's not worth the alternative to not be alive at all.
    I've learned to look for the simple beautiful things in life and hold on to them tight. Look for anything and everything that has meaning to you and don't let go.

Definitely keep in touch with your doctor and see a therapist/psychologist if that will help.

Love yourself first and alway keep fighting!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    OP, good for you for seeing your doctor! Seriously - taking that step is a big deal.

I suffered from severe post partum depression. I think when I really realized that I needed help was when I realized how difficult it is for a depressed person to GET help. On a "bad day," I'd realize that I couldn't go on like this - I'd start with my insurance plan's website, trying to find a provider, I'd make a phone call, get put on hold or transferred or something, get completely overwhelmed, and give up. It took me a long time and a lot of strength to get through the complex web of insurance, providers, appointments, etc. It sounds so stupid to me, now, but it was a really difficult time. But making that appointment, seeing your doctor, those are really big steps. Be patient, and approach every day by itself - one day at a time.

Not to belittle your experience, I have never, and will never go through partium depression, being a guy. What did it for me, is so far I am getting a B+ in my class, I am down 160+ pounds and now a healthy weight, and am 100 week nicotine free, and yet sometime I go through bad episode of feeling like a failure. Plus I have bad anxiety attacks.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @Panda_brat wanted to wish you well with your Dr's appt. I'm really glad that you have been up-front and that you are being pro-active with your health.

As many have said, depression is such a difficult illness to live with. It has many faces and facets. Over my years I have been medicated to the eyebrows (sadly with little success) and have used CBT (helpful), self-help in the form of meditation, exercise, trying to push past the lack of motivation and the exhaustion. (varies with the amount of help it provides)

I have now reached a place where thankfully I don't need meds. anymore. I still endure the "Black Dog" periodically and have a plan of action where usually I alone can bring myself through the rough patch.

As has been evident in this thread there is still a lot of ignorance and stigma around Mental Health. I was suicidal in the 1990's and have been told to shake it off, there is always another day, other people have it worse than you, why do you feel depressed - Geez look at your life you've got this and this to look forward to. Those comments crushed me and I became very reclusive and secretive about my illness.

For me I was in the situation where I became ill due to a life changing event, but I held out for too long before I sought help and it became truly endogenous depression where my brain chemically changed. I wish I had NOT internalized the above comments....I would/should have sought help much sooner but the shame was too great, ending up in Hospital having ECT was my lowest point and something that still haunts me to this day. So don't let anyone tell you this isn't real and deserving of treatment.

I wish you well.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise I was depressed until I was finally persuaded onto prozac. I under no circumstances advocate jumping on the drugs, I tried as many have suggested ways to lighten my mood, change my thinking etc as you could think of, but in my case the meds cleared my mind to recognise I was actually on auto pilot, just about managing to stop crying long enough to work, going for days staring at the TV allowing time to pass and seeing joy in nothing for long periods. As well as a doctor do you have someone close you could talk to who may have noticed you are not feeling yourself? My parents have been a fantastic support, and my best friend. Good luck, there are many bright days ahead x
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt the third time @ Panda_brat. you will be Just fine. Sunshine on the otherside my friend :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

depcom.282.col_.400px.jpg

When I'm depressed, I force myself to exercise. I know that no matter how little motivation I have to start exercising, I will feel better after doing it.

Sometimes if I need an extra shove I take a shower. For some reason, that helps change my state. After the shower, I'm on auto pilot, get dressed, go exercise. I give myself permission to stop after 10 minutes if I need to (I never do.)

You take a shower to get ready to exercise?
  • Panda_brat
    Options
    I didn't realise I was depressed until I was finally persuaded onto prozac. I under no circumstances advocate jumping on the drugs, I tried as many have suggested ways to lighten my mood, change my thinking etc as you could think of, but in my case the meds cleared my mind to recognise I was actually on auto pilot, just about managing to stop crying long enough to work, going for days staring at the TV allowing time to pass and seeing joy in nothing for long periods. As well as a doctor do you have someone close you could talk to who may have noticed you are not feeling yourself? My parents have been a fantastic support, and my best friend. Good luck, there are many bright days ahead x

My Father is the one who talked me into seeing my Doc.
  • Panda_brat
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt the third time @ Panda_brat. you will be Just fine. Sunshine on the otherside my friend :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

• lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been treated for depression since by my first child was born, 26 years ago. If I had known then what I know now, I would have asked for help a lot sooner. Try to remember that clinical depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain, as other posts have stated. You need the right medication and the healthy changes like vitamins and good eating which will optimize your health. It is no different than a diabetic controlling his condition with medicine and diet. If the meds don't work right away, go back to the doctor. You have a right to be happy and well, so keep on your doctor and counselor until they give you the help you need.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

depcom.282.col_.400px.jpg

Yeah, this is so true.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Believe it or not saying things like this to a person with clinical depression not only does not help but it makes things worse. The "just think happy thoughts and things will get better" advice just makes a depressed person even more upset and depressed because no matter how hard they try they can't think happy, can't feel happy and can't be happy. It isn't that they want to be sad and depressed. it is not that they are not trying. It is that they just can't. Physically and psychologically it is impossible for them to feel joy because the chemicals in their brain won't allow them to. People like us need more than cheerful messages from well meaning but oblivious people with properly functioning brain chemistry.

I attended a lecture recently on SAD because my depression is much worse in the winter. I found it very educational and received some good references for therapists from the person giving the lecture. Unfortunately not only is there the seasonal factor but also the emotional trauma of having most my husband after several months of illness which all happened between January and April. I have experienced anxiety and depression and PMDD since puberty. No help from doctors and family. They all just told me to exercise and cheer up. I stopped bothering to tell people I was having a problem, even when I wanted to die I kept it to myself because no one ever listened. Telling someone that others have it worse... that is even more depressing.

It is really hard for someone with this illness to function in daily life. Often we are strongly empathic and highly sensitive so every little thing pushes up further past the edge. Every person coming to use to talk about their problems just adds to our load. Learning how to cope is largely self taught unless a person stumbles across others like themselves who allow them in enough to see that they are not alone and unique in the world.

I got very lucky to find a few people in my life who would actually listen and understand that this was a real problem. They allowed me to talk out my issues, they let me know that they believed me and that it was not all in my head. Several of my friends even shared with me that they had at some point gone to a professional for this kind of problem and how much it had helped them. Seeking professional help is nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. And I was lucky enough to find a few people who understood what was going on and helped me to understand what it is to be a highly sensitive empath and how to manage the energy drain of all of the people who use us as their dumping ground for negative emotion.

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Sorry to be blunt @Jacob1020 but when someone gets cancer/diabetes/heart disease you wouldn't say something so callous. Your bluntness is showing your complete lack of empathy. I've suffered from depression since I was a little girl. You must be a very lucky person to have never have felt it but please don't act like it doesn't exist!!!!!. You make yourself look foolish and immature. It is not always just fine and sunshine. Do a little research and don't say stupid things about issues you obviously know nothing about.

• Panda_brat
    Options
    rsleighty wrote: »
    OP, the Jackwagon has a point. You WILL be fine. As the wife and mother of people who fight with this particular demon, there IS help available. Whether it is diet, exercise, vitamins, meditation or medication there will be something that can help you. Good for you for going to see your Dr!

Never said their wasn't a light at the end of the tunnel. My Dr. Says my case is not that bad, and is just giving my a low dose of Zoloft to help me relax. I will see how it goes, and if i need group therapy, I will keep an open mind, and make an appointment in a couple of weeks.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rsleighty wrote: »
    OP, the Jackwagon has a point. You WILL be fine. As the wife and mother of people who fight with this particular demon, there IS help available. Whether it is diet, exercise, vitamins, meditation or medication there will be something that can help you. Good for you for going to see your Dr!

Never said their wasn't a light at the end of the tunnel. My Dr. Says my case is not that bad, and is just giving my a low dose of Zoloft to help me relax. I will see how it goes, and if i need group therapy, I will keep an open mind, and make an appointment in a couple of weeks.

Depression sucks. I know. (((hugs)))
  • Theresad2707
    Theresad2707 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've suffered most of my adult life, when it hits I feel like I'm in the bottom of a hole n no one cares that I'm there unless they need something from me, even then I think they are reluctant to ask me! I feel alone and sinking
    But I am now on medication which keeps it at bay, however it takes work from me to keep me going, I think finding something to focus on helps, it's took me to be in my 40s to find exercise really has changed things for me
    Going to c ur dr is a big 1st step. Good luck
  • Panda_brat
    Options
    When I get bad, it is more of anxiety and panic that hit's me. I think I need a combo of things to help. I am slowly getting things done on step at a time. Is any one else on Zoloft? and how was their reaction to it?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    When I get bad, it is more of anxiety and panic that hit's me. I think I need a combo of things to help. I am slowly getting things done on step at a time. Is any one else on Zoloft? and how was their reaction to it?

Anxiety and depression go hand in hand most times so I know if I'm feeling one the other isn't far behind. I take Prozac to help keep my anxiety at bay which in turn keeps my depression away as well. I do work with a therapist in CBT to eventually not have to take/rely on medication. Glad you're seeking help and hope you're doing well!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Depression, anxiety, and anger are interrelated and feed into each other. They respond well to talk therapy though some cases benefit from a course of medication to get a client to the point where he/she can benefit from talk therapy. The standard approach to these problems is to use cognitive behavioral techniques; this is likely what your insurance company would pay for since cognitive has been proven to beeffective. Cognitive behavioral therapy is available in a group setting as well as individually (group is usually less expensive than individual).

You'll learn skills for dealing with your depression from a therapist -- something you won't get from a pill.

The downside of having insurance pay for depression treatment is that it goes in your record, and may affect your future insurance coverage. If cost is an issue, you can probably find therapists in your area who charge on a sliding income based scale.

For self help, I recommend "Feeling Good" and the "Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns. He uses a modified version of cognitive behavioral therapy. Here's his site:

http://feelinggood.com

You can find a therapist in your area if you're in the United States who specializes in treating depression using the therapy finder here:

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/