take a look...

Options
i feel like i need some criticism on my nutrition and how i eat. i've done pretty well since i started my journey (about 3 months ago) and i've lost 7 pounds. i made my diary public for you guys to see - can you view my diary and then tell me what i need to improve on? thanks :)) (ps: today was a bad day!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kelseyannxo

Replies

• ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    More water.
  • poopoomonkey1978
    poopoomonkey1978 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    you don't have enough variety in your diet. I'd try to get more lean meats in and def get 8 glasses of water a day in minimum. Also eat all if not most of your calories
  • mom22qties
    mom22qties Posts: 47
    Options
    Definitely more water.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    cut back on your process sugars, and totally add more protein and veggies in. Looks like you are eating about the same thing every day time to switch it up and give your body some new nutritious foods.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    You need to make friends with some vegetables :-) I didn't see any and I went back about a week. They're full of all kinds of good nutrients and fiber. If you don't like them normally, try some different recipes and ways of cooking them (my dad hated his veggies, but he loved stir fries...). A salad and about a cup of cooked veggies a day would be a good start (or maybe some raw veggies with hummus or a low cal dip?). Also, drink more water and add some variety in your diet - try some different fruits, maybe.
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    yes, i figured i would get the answers about the veggies and meats haha. i'm a very picky eater so i don't like my veggies that much :( i'm like a toddler, i know..anyone have any suggestions for veggies?
  • ShunkyDave
    Options
    I was told, and I've been doing this ever since, is you should drink half your weight in ounces of water daily. The words don't make much sense.

I started losing at 300 pounds. So I was drinking 150 ounces of water daily. Yeah, almost 20 glasses of water. I bought a 40-ounce canteen, and we have a super cold water filter here at work. Fill it up four times, and I've hit the goal.

I'm now at 275, so I'm drinking 140. Three and a half on the canteen.

If you weighed 150, you should drink 75 ounces of water, which would be about 9 glasses.

Make sense?
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My toddler likes her veggies! ;:wink:
  • ShunkyDave
    Options
    anyone have any suggestions for veggies?

Peas are my favorite. Next up, beans -- because they have great protein too. Lastly, broccoli.
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    yes,that makes sense! so i'm at 125, i should be drinking about 62 ounces of water a day, which is about 8 glasses? i drink from water bottles so i count through liters, not really glasses.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of drinking half your weight in oz...but if you are under 128 lbs then you should drink at least 8 glasses a day/64 oz... I am not too good with drinking water but adding lemon and ice and using a straw often helps believe it or not, and I shoot for 10 glasses a day even if I have to force it down sometimes.
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    anyone have any suggestions for veggies?

Peas are my favorite. Next up, beans -- because they have great protein too. Lastly, broccoli.

i do like broccoli! i've never truly eaten beans with something, but i have eaten peas, not really my favorite. ugh i hate being so picky
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    OK, you're only sixteen, so my first rsuggestions would be that you should look at recommendations specific to someone your age - your body and brain still have some developing to go so it is really important that you are getting good nutrition at this point in your life. Is it an option to see a nutritionist to get an eating plan that's designed for you and your goals?
    If not, have a look online for healthy eating for teenages and see what you can find.

In general I don't think you are eating enough real food. Fruit for lunch and a PB sandwich for dinner aren't bad in themselves, but they won't be supplying all you need. You don't have to eat meat if you don't like it, but you do need to balance your diet. If you are going to be vegetarian you have to work at it, and make sure you get all the right nutrients. Having to have injections every week for months because you didn't look after your diet is a bad idea (trust me, I've been there!!)

It also looks to me as though you aren't eating enough calories. Going too low in calories at this point seems like a really bad idea, you don't want to end up as an adult with all the eating problems that so many of us have. Get some advice specific to your stage in life and make the most of this opportunity to grow into a healthy adult!
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    ^ thanks for all that info! that's really helpful. i know it's not enough and that's why i hate it. i don't eat real food, like ever. :( i've been thinking about looking into protein shakes since i don't get much protein and seeing if that would up my protein levels. but right now, i know my diet sucks. :/
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of dishes with light sauces, and I have a trick to eat more veggies. If I am eating a pasta dish I put the pasta on the plate, top with a heaping serving of veggies (frozen peas, carrots, green beans, anything you want to try) and top with extra sauce.
    The veggies help me eat less pasta and the sauces that I make are healthier than butter.

Another favorite trick is to add carefully measured amounts of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs to sauteed spinach or green beans. Shredded parmesan cheese is a favorite of mine because it gives a lot of flavor, but you only have to get a tiny bit in every bite to get that flavor. Just make sure you are measuring how much you are adding, because it is tempting to go overboard.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you're 16--- who cooks for you? Make meal plans together. Try new recipes together. Shop together. Make it fun. Healthy Living dot com has a lot of fun ideas for recipes. I use them often. And do you really need to be losing weight if you are only 125lbs? I just get very concerned when I see slim-teenagers trying to lose as eating disorders have plagued my own immediate family. Don't short-change your growing body by depriving it of the proper nutrients it needs in order to establish itself as healthy for the years to come!
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    I cook for myself and when my parents come home at night, they usually make dinner because they make what they like. They usually make healthy things, too, but this week hasn't been so good. i'm not trying to lose like the way you might think i am. i started off at 135 as my highest weight and decided the way i live isn't going to go on any longer. i was out of shape and unhealthy, and if you read my info, it clearly says i want to get fit and live a healthy life...trust me, i'm nowhere near an eating disorder. i love food. lol