Breastfeeding

Options
Are there any breastfeeding mamas out there?! And do you include breastfeeding anywhere? I want to lose weight with low calories but I also know I shouldn't deprive my little one. Any stories/ routines/ calorie intake info would be awesome! Just want to be a better healthier mama to this little guy.

Replies

• bex800
    bex800 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi well don't on breastfeeding, I was lucky and able to feed both my little ones, I think as long as your eating healthy breastfeeding can help with weight loss, if you don't get enough nutrition it may affect your supply, I found that the days I didn't drink enough water my baby was fussy and less settled. Wish you all the best, how old is your little one?
  • katieelizabethm713
    katieelizabethm713 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    He is 3 months now. I've just been gaining and not losing
  • mkh858
    mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that gained weight during breastfeeding. I'm still nursing my 14 months old twins and finally I can maintain a normal healthy eating habits. Focus on nursing that little baby and stop worrying about the weight. Hormones really play a big role on your mood too so that can aid in gaining weight. Breastfeeding can be hard and trying to lose weight just makes it worse.. Great job thiugh!
  • Watch_Me_Shine416
    Watch_Me_Shine416 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 11 month old still. I've found 1900 calories a day works for me. I've heard you are not supposed to go under 1800 while nursing or it will affect your supply. I found I was maintaining my weight at 2000-2200 so I dropped to 1900 and it's been working great for me. You have to play around a bit and see what works for you. Listen to your hunger cues! A few months back I didn't do that and I was a mean hungry mama lol lots of protein too! It keeps you feeling full. Greek yogurt has been my best friend. As for logging breastfeeding, I log it as a cardio exercise each day that burns 500 calories. Hope this info helps. Feel free to add me!
  • cxgamez
    cxgamez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a BF momma too. My little one will be turning 12 months tomorrow *tear!*, but yes I am struggling with calorie intake and supplying enough. I either eat too little or EAT TOO MUCH. I haven't learned a healthy in between. Anything helps as well here!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm a breastfeeding mama! Nursing my 14 month old a few times a day and I eat 200 extra calories a day to account for breastfeeding. I started my weight loss when my baby was 1 month old and I've lost 85lbs since then and maintained my supply so it is possible.

I ate 500 extra calories a day until my baby started solid foods and then dropped to 300. I had mfp set to lose 1 lb a week. I usually ate between 1800-2000 calories a day. I weighed all my food and ate back 50% of my estimated exercise calories. It's important to weigh your food so you are accurate with your calorie intake. You wouldn't want to over estimate and then have your supply drop.

I hear a lot of people say to focus on nursing and not weight loss when you have a new baby. But honestly I used that as an excuse for years and just got fatter and fatter. This is my 4th baby and I've been nursing and/or pregnant for the past 8 years straight so I always had an excuse why I couldn't lose weight. I finally had to take control. There's nothing wrong with losing weight but you need to be healthy about it when nursing. You don't need to eat a very low calorie diet. I lost easily at 2000 a day. Just be realistic with your goals and you can do it.
  • meowtin
    meowtin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding mama to a 9 months old girl! I think 1700 calories work for me! I'm short tho. :smile:
  • katieelizabethm713
    Options
    I'm a breastfeeding mama! Nursing my 14 month old a few times a day and I eat 200 extra calories a day to account for breastfeeding. I started my weight loss when my baby was 1 month old and I've lost 85lbs since then and maintained my supply so it is possible.

I ate 500 extra calories a day until my baby started solid foods and then dropped to 300. I had mfp set to lose 1 lb a week. I usually ate between 1800-2000 calories a day. I weighed all my food and ate back 50% of my estimated exercise calories. It's important to weigh your food so you are accurate with your calorie intake. You wouldn't want to over estimate and then have your supply drop.

I hear a lot of people say to focus on nursing and not weight loss when you have a new baby. But honestly I used that as an excuse for years and just got fatter and fatter. This is my 4th baby and I've been nursing and/or pregnant for the past 8 years straight so I always had an excuse why I couldn't lose weight. I finally had to take control. There's nothing wrong with losing weight but you need to be healthy about it when nursing. You don't need to eat a very low calorie diet. I lost easily at 2000 a day. Just be realistic with your goals and you can do it.

Omg thank you so much!! I didn't breastfeed with my first and made excuses. I just can't make them anymore.
  • katieelizabethm713
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!
  • umaarte
    umaarte Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, im breastfeeding since day one and when he turn 6months old i start going the gym went paleo lifestyle and 1200 calories work best for me dont judge me! Because this really works for me, never had any issue with milk supply my boobs still leak though.
    Prepregnancy weight is 128lbs and went to 191lbs. Currently at 148lbs.
  • KatherinePM
    KatherinePM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    mkh858 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that gained weight during breastfeeding. I'm still nursing my 14 months old twins and finally I can maintain a normal healthy eating habits. Focus on nursing that little baby and stop worrying about the weight. Hormones really play a big role on your mood too so that can aid in gaining weight. Breastfeeding can be hard and trying to lose weight just makes it worse.. Great job thiugh!

Me too!! I gained all my pregnancy weight plus more while breatfeeding. I lasted 4 months then had supply issues (doesn't matter how much I ate). I'm just probably one of those peeps who if formula wasn't invented I'd have to go see the local wet nurse to feed my babies. Happened with my mum and her mum but my GMA just fed her 6 kids cows milk.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Nursing 7 mo baby #4 now. 1820 cals and eating back at least 50% of my exercise cals works for me and baby (he's eating solids now). Much below that and baby was fussy and I was hangry.

So far I've lost all my baby weight doing exactly this--exercising when I was physically up to it (2-4 mo pp), cals bt 1800-2000 until I drop to nursing once or twice a day (12 mo+, but I'm usually at or within 5 lbs of goal by then--at that point I just stay around 1800). I'm 5'4", 137 prebaby, up to 195, now 146.

Some solid info here. Lots of good q&a for bf'ing in general. And just a suggestion--keep taking your prenatal vitamins. Dropping cals first affects the mom's nutritional state. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/