Am I getting bad advice from my gym?

Options
CatherineElizabeth13
CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Everything I've read on here and online in general suggests that women should heavy lift.
The advice for woman as overweight as myself seem to be to lift heavy from the start, don't wait until you're close goal weight as it will help to prevent muscle loss through deficit eating and help with skin sagging.

Am I right so far?

So I had a discussion with the guy who owns my gym (his wife is a champion body builder). He told me he absolutely won't allow me to do high weight low reps as women should only do low weight high rep.
To me it seems a bit counter productive based on what I've read on here. And I'm not sure his wife would agree with his thinking on women lifting.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts.

Replies

• Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Find a new Gym
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No, expert here, but I've read quite a bit and it sounds like B.S. That was the thinking back in the 1980s, when I was a spring chicken, but I believe it's mostly been refuted now. With the exception of the nutrition advice, I really liked the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Not because the exercises for men and women are different but because it reiterates that there is no difference in the exercises.

I have about 50 pounds to go and I just started stronglifts. And I feel pretty good.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read on here and online in general suggests that women should heavy lift.
    The advice for woman as overweight as myself seem to be to lift heavy from the start, don't wait until you're close goal weight as it will help to prevent muscle loss through deficit eating and help with skin sagging.

Am I right so far?

Yep!
    So I had a discussion with the guy who owns my gym (his wife is a champion body builder). He told me he absolutely won't allow me to do high weight low reps as women should only do low weight high rep.
    To me it seems a bit counter productive based on what I've read on here. And I'm not sure his wife would agree with his thinking on women lifting.

<Tannoy Announcement>New trainer required at the squat rack</Tannoy Announcement>
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    saraAmcd wrote: »
    No, expert here, but I've read quite a bit and it sounds like B.S. That was the thinking back in the 1980s, when I was a spring chicken, but I believe it's mostly been refuted now. With the exception of the nutrition advice, I really liked the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Not because the exercises for men and women are different but because it reiterates that there is no difference in the exercises.

I have about 50 pounds to go and I just started stronglifts. And I feel pretty good.

I have that book, that's what I took with me to show him and he flicked through it and laughed.

I just want to use my gym time productively as it only have time for 3 sessions a week.
  • saraAmcd
    Options
    He laughed? Patronizing *kitten*. find a new gym.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    WTF. Given his wife's success, you'd think he'd be encouraging women to lift heavy!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Find out who trains his wife and use that person.
  • saraAmcd
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

love it
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

She trains herself sadly! She's a personal trainer. I'd go to her but I'd have to sell a kidney to afford it!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Am I right so far?

Sounds like the typical meat head private gym owner. I highly doubt his wife was a champion body-builder doing light weight high rep exercises. Sounds like he just doesn't want another body using that squat rack. Find another gym, if that's not possible you don't have to take his advice. Go ahead do some research, find a structured plan and go for it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you have the book, you don't need a trainer. Just get started on your own. Start light, add weight progressively.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Find a new gym.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    You don't need a trainer -- check out programs such as StrongLifts 5x5 (that's what I use) -- start lifting and increase as you can and keep lifting -- and lift heavy things, not those little pink dumbbells.
  • saraAmcd
    Options
    You really only need a session or two with a trainer. If that. Youtube can do wonders.
  • lillemeddy85
    lillemeddy85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You don't have to train high weight low rep either. How low is your rep count?
    I prefer staying between 12-16 myself, depending on what part of the body I am working.
    But I do also enjoy tabata and other forms of exercise where I will squat with weight for 45 seconds not counting reps. And I have seen tremendous strength and endurance results from that approach as well.

He sounds condescending, and that sucks. But the thing about nutrition and fitness is that everyone thinks they have the perfect answer, and everyone else is wrong. On my fitness journey I have found that everyone is so different, that finding what your body reacts the best to, and finding what you LIKE to do is more important than anything else. Because if you're loving what you do, you will continue doing it, and that is what matters. Consistency above everything.

Also always keep in mind that nutrition, diets and fitness is an INDUSTRY. It is there to make money from people like us. So we have trends like HIGH REPS LOW REPS THIS KIND OF REPS THOSE THINGS UHHH LIFT HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT. You know. While the most important thing is. Work out. Eat sensible. Find what you love. Live it. Become it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    WTF. Given his wife's success, you'd think he'd be encouraging women to lift heavy!

Not necessarily. Body builders typically lift in the Hypertrophy ranges 8-15 reps/set, and moderately heavy to do so.

Stronglifts is great for building strength, strength focused routines usually range from 1-6 reps on the top set. He is probably pro body builder and con power lifting. part of the reason could be that you can sell more training session via BB workouts as they can be complex, whereas power lifting (pure strength training) is much simpler, and can really only offer advice on form.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The guy sounds like he is working on outdated ideas along the lines of low weight, high reps = toning. He also sounds remarkably unprofessional.

However...

It is clear you could get great physique and fitness results using a low weight, high rep programme (classically, anything up to 15 reps but I have seen suggestions recently that even up to 30 reps could work well - don't quote me on the exact rep range though as this is from memory).

Alternatively you could get great results from a high weight, low rep programme, a body weight programme, a kettlebell programme etc. You could also get great results from not doing any lifting right now and deferring it until you have lost a chunk of weight (given your starting weight is quite high according to what you tell us.)

The key here is not so much lifting heavy but rather working with resistance.

Up to you really as to what you would prefer, what you enjoy, what your ultimate goals are and what the most efficient means of achieving those goals would be.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    go to instagram. search

ejanss
    katienanne100
    marisainda
    trackfu

....then go to a new gym. you're not working out there for free right? Why let him tell you what to do or not do?
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    You don't have to train high weight low rep either. How low is your rep count?
    I prefer staying between 12-16 myself, depending on what part of the body I am working.

He insists that 25 reps is what needs to be done.
    When I'm at home I use more than double the weight he has listed and do around 12 reps and that seems to make me feel like I've actually done something. But the thing I worry about at home is whether my form is okay.
  • saraAmcd
    Options
    If your grocery bags, cooking pot, purse, toddler are heavier than the weights you're lifting, then I think there's a problem.