Rest Days?

Options
How many rest days should I be scheduling ? I was having 3 a week and finding that I was getting restless and moody on my off days. I've now added in a swim and taken it down to 2 rest days, I'm tempted to add another swim, taking it to one rest day. I have no idea how much time off I should be taking to recover and avoid burn out. What are you scheduled like? My current schedule is below

Mon/Sat = hour HIT Cardio and weights
Tues = Rest (possibly add in a swim or run)
Wed = run and weights
Thurs = body combat cardio and yoga
Fri= Rest
Sun= swim or 8 mile walk , weather depending

Replies

• RebelPatriot77
    RebelPatriot77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also tried 3 rest days, but felt restless when I didn't work out, so now I'm aiming for 1 rest day with 2 lighter workouts..... think yoga, stretching, ect .
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I also tried 3 rest days, but felt restless when I didn't work out, so now I'm aiming for 1 rest day with 2 lighter workouts..... think yoga, stretching, ect .

I do something similar, only I do one day of active rest. Usually it's a light walk, some yoga, etc...just enough to get my step goal in for the day, haha. I find that the light walk, where I'm not concerned about going strong and burning calories, but rather just enjoying the movement, is quite relaxing. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do active rest. mostly yoga
    every other day
  • davidmartinez66
    davidmartinez66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week and feel guilty on the off day, I do upper body/core/cardio day 1, lower body/core/cario day 2 and repeat, I never skip upper body days, so Friday I am scheduling an off day, if that is Upper, I will do Upper on Saturday. I really wanted to add a walk last Thursday, but it was raining so I skipped it, but felt guilty for certain.

I think we all should allow the body to rest, even if it drives you crazy. Number of days depends on the person, my wife needs more off days than I do.

Good Luck
    David
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I too do active rest! I do Yoga on Thursday! The rest of the days I am at a class of some sort (Spin, HIIT, Cardio/Weights) and then I Run! The classes that I take are usually a total body workout.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I take two a day. The other five days are chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I need my two rest days! Your body needs them too! I usually rest Mon and Tues.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I take two a day. The other five days are chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I need my two rest days! Your body needs them too! I usually rest Mon and Tues.

Not two a day. LOL. Two a week.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Not two a day. LOL. Two a week.

You don't need two a week either. Depends on the individual.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do one a week...Fridays (for now anyway) due to it being cold outside. I love having a rest day on Friday tho esp after a hard week at work.

Typically if there is no snow I have an active rest day where I only walk a couple miles at a moderate pace instead of 5 or 6 at a fast pace. No lifting that day etc.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Since I have never been good at sticking with exercising I am not currently scheduling time off. I am on a streak with exercising regularly for about six weeks hoping (and intending) that I keep the commitment.

For me, being involved in a gym group team contest is motivating, fun and is keeping me accountable to somebody(ies) besides myself.

Right now, I am resting only when I feel like I need it, which happens to be about every 10-13 days. There are probably 1 or 2 days in that chunk of time where I'm not going balls to the wall.
  • luciewhitefield25
    luciewhitefield25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am the same, as long as I have time to fit it in and my body is up for it, ill workout. I can normally streak for about 10-14 days then ill have a day off, I always feel guilty having rest days so normally try to just save them for when I am super busy and could do without spending time on working out that day..

I just think you know when your body needs a rest so go with that? If you feel up for it, do it! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Anything more than 1 and I get nuts. I at least try to get a 3 mile walk in every day. It's very rare that I get a 'don't do anything' day and usually it's because my legs are just too sore.