HRM- Useless tech?

Options
So people want to count in the calories that they burn whether it be for HIIT exercises, DVD workouts, Weight Training or cardio. Many in here have downplayed it as just a waste and doesnt give accurate info. The only help it does is give you a reason to workout.

So i ask, how do you even calculate your calories burned in the diary?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I multiply my weight in pounds by .63 and the number of miles I have run, and log that.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    HRM is not useless tech but it also shouldn't be overly relied on. It depends on what you're using it for. HRMs are good for giving a closer estimate than you might get if you have it configured correctly but it could be wildly off if its not. Its very useful for things like HIIT and steady-state cardio since the goal of those exercises is elevated heart rate. If you're doing intervals on the bike or run, its great for measuring effort.

For something like weight lifting, I wouldn't give it as much importance. You'll raise your heart rate during lifting but that's not really the goal as much. And the weight loss benefit from weight lifting is the increased muscle mass which increases your daily TDEE over the long run.

HRMs aren't really designed as weight loss aids, though they can help measure your progress as much as any other tool. They are excellent training tools though.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not "useless" but they are only kinda sorta useful for calorie counting. It's like using a flathead screwdriver to turn a Philips screw. You can do it, but it isn't really what it was designed for.

HRMs are for figuring out pacing/training zones and realtime performance monitoring. A side benefit is that you can use that information to roughly guess energy expenditure. It is a powerful training tool that the calorie counting community has latched onto as a way to attempt to assist in weight loss.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    So i ask, how do you even calculate your calories burned in the diary?

For cycling, I estimate my calories as follows:

100 calories for every 5 km I cycle.

That gets me into the ballpark.

For walking, I use MFP's calculation, but choose a moderate pace even though I do walk quite briskly.

And as mentioned above, HRMs are not realy for calculating calories, they are mainly for determining training zones.

I wear mine sometimes when my husband and I ride our tandem. It helps him know when to back off just a bit ... when my HR is getting a bit too high.

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    see for me, i want to use it for my Insanity DVDs.

Curious how to factor it in the diary because i want to eat at least half my calories back.

Anyone else have this dilemma
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its all useless if you demand 100% accuracy. An orange depending on its ripeness isn't going to be the exact same sugar content from the orange I ate yesterday. Packaged foods have a modest amount of approximation, stews. soups, casseroles i make at home, albeit, each ingredient meticulously weighed, will not be the exact calorie count per serving. I lost 100 pounds eating back every single calorie I burned off during what I considered exercise. And when i first started that was shuffling down the block. I do not have your dilemma. My advice is to stop overthinking it, and just move forward unless you are working on some serious training.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I multiply my weight in pounds by .63 and the number of miles I have run, and log that.
    Yep, for running, I use this unless I'm running on VERY hilly/technical terrain. HRM based calorie counts are most accurate for steady state cardio and you can get reasonable estimates if you use a quality, properly setup HRM and understand their limitations. Even during steady state cardio, your HR can be affected by things which aren't related to how many calories you are burning such as weather or recovery, but the HRM has no way of knowing that. If I run when it's sunny and hot out, my HRM will give a significantly increased calorie burned estimate. My HR is higher than usual due to the heat, but the HRM assumes it's due to me working harder.
  • raven56706
    Options
    So im looking to bring down my body fat while maintaining my muscle. Any advise when it comes to calories?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

Via my Garmin, but this.

When I use the HRM it's as a training tool, looking at how my performance varies according to the training stimuli.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    HRMs are not "useless" but they are only kinda sorta useful for calorie counting. It's like using a flathead screwdriver to turn a Philips screw. You can do it, but it isn't really what it was designed for.

That's a really good analogy.

HRMs are not designed for calorie counting, but their functionality can be (and has been) extended to include calorie ESTIMATION. It's just an estimate, just like websites, cardio machines, formulas, and everything else.

They give you a bit of convenience because using an HRM allows you to estimate the same way each and every time. Then, over time, you can identify trends and tweak how you estimate for more reliable results.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Curious how to factor it in the diary because i want to eat at least half my calories back.

A HRM would be no use for insanity as it's more HIIT than steady state cardio.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, unless you are doing your workouts in a lab, hooked up to a bunch of machines, any calorie burn numbers will be estimates. That's why many people here only eat back @ 50% or so of their workout calories. That is usually a good place to start and then you can tweak that based on your results over several weeks. I think most people who are successful have played around with it for awhile to find what works for them.

This is just what I do, but no matter what workout I do, I determine whether it was cardio or strength. If it was cardio I log aerobics, if it was strength I log weightlifting. Then i aim to eat back half, and eat more if I'm still hungry. It has worked for me, but it is in no way scientific! I just decided it wasn't worth putting anymore thought into it than that considering my goals. It basically ensures I eat a bit extra to fuel my workouts but not so much I over-compensate. I do log everything on Fitbit and them it posts calorie adjustments here.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    So im looking to bring down my body fat while maintaining my muscle. Any advise when it comes to calories?

This is a great place to start:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Personally, I find the TDEE method more useful as you're estimating all of your activity level in your activity setting and then cutting from that. I found the MFP method to be beneficial as a beginner because it showed me how pathetic my calorie targets are without exercise and it got me moving...but ultimately, as I became more consistent in training regularly, the TDEE method was just a lot easier and I wasn't guessing at calorie burns for various exercise activities.

Just use a TDEE calculator and cut 20% or so from your TDEE...this will give you a good place to start...from there you just adjust as per your real world results...you have to remember that it's all estimates...ultimately, it's up to you to do the math and figure things out for real world application.

To mitigate the loss of lean mass, make sure your deficit is reasonable and you're not losing weight too quickly...get in adequate protein, and resistance training.
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The key for me is not to pay attention to estimates, but pay attention to the log. We are creatures of habit. Log everything and see how the trends change over the weeks. I really have no idea how my weight is changing on a daily basis, but over a number of weeks I can see trends. Since my diet is very repetitive I can then add or subtract items based on my goals. Weight training is an interesting duck since in building mode you tend to gain a bit of fat along with the muscle. Then you will go into the cutting phase Were you will do a lot more aerobic and dieting. At least that is how it worked for me. Any activity should be great as long as you do it consistently. Over time you will get to know your body very well.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For me it is more useful as a comparative calorie burn tracker. So, if I job for an hour and it says I burned 900 calories, then when I ride the static bike at the gym, I don't leave until I get the same 900 calories. That's not exactly what I do, but that's the idea. It's helpful to compare workouts. It's especially helpful like home exercise, cause sometimes I feel like I'm going hard, but my HR is only at like 145, so I ramp it up.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Tried a HRM once - didn't like it. Throughout my various losses, maintenances, and (planned) gains I have either used MFPs calories expended but plugged in 2/3rds (I'd log a 45 mins run as 30 mins for example) or ignored exercise calories completely and used a TDEE method.
  • raven56706
    edited March 2016
    Options
    TDEE

So i used this calculator and apparently MFP has me eating far less than the TDEE calculator. 1739 MFP vs TDEE at 2359 for cutting. How do you then calculate which one to go with?

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=male&age=35&lbs=198&in=67&act=1.55&bf=24&f=1
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    TDEE

So i used this calculator and apparently MFP has me eating far less than the TDEE calculator. 1739 MFP vs TDEE at 2359 for cutting. How do you then calculate which one to go with?

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=male&age=35&lbs=198&in=67&act=1.55&bf=24&f=1

You have to understand what they are calculating. With MFP you add exercise cals onto that 1739. With TDEE, you don't.

So if you burn, on average, 500 cals in exercise per day, then the numbers end up being very very close, within 100 or so of each other.

Neither one is necessarily better than the other. It's all personal preference.
  • raven56706
    Options
    i just want to make sure im doing it the right way as opposed to the wrong one.