You: weight lost = running comfortable/fun?

Options

Replies

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Running is 90% a mental activity. It doesn't matter how much you weigh; if you start out thinking about how much it will hurt and suck, then it will hurt. And suck. But if you start your run with an open mind and let your body do what it can without setting expectations, you'll be happily surprised at what you can accomplish.

I've run half-marathons between 160 and 190 (I'm 5'7" and 30, one race a year since I was 23), and I did a full marathon at around 170. The ones that hurt the most were the halfs I wasn't excited about. When I was bored with training and not-motivated. Strangely, I was at my lowest weights during those. I think it had to do with form more than weight...I wasn't interested, so I wasn't concentrating on planting my feet, swinging my arms, keeping my shoulders down, hands relaxed, etc. Plodding instead of pushing.

I firmly believe in this: Change your mind, change your body. Tell yourself to enjoy it and you will. Tell yourself how much it hurts and sucks and it will.

If you run, you're a runner. I've seen old ladies, amputees, dads pushing wheelchairs, fat(ter than me) chicks, dudes with thunder thighs, ten year olds, teens with Down syndrome, service members in full uniform with packs and flags and everyone in between finish races. Don't let the number on the scale in the same room you sh1t in determine how much you enjoy the outside world. You can do it!
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Running is 90% a mental activity. It doesn't matter how much you weigh; if you start out thinking about how much it will hurt and suck, then it will hurt. And suck. But if you start your run with an open mind and let your body do what it can without setting expectations, you'll be happily surprised at what you can accomplish. ...
    ... You can do it!
    @MlleKelly - Thanks! This is inspiring. :smile:
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    [quote="gdyment;35419256If I could take a magic pill and keep all my physiological benefits I would do it in a heartbeat and sit on the couch playing video games, watching movies, doing puzzles or painting or models etc. But I also don't think sitting in a bar having a chat is very fun either - much rather run with someone for an hour+ and chat that way. To me working out is a part-time job that pays me in health and wellness.[/quote]

Sounds like we have some of the same hobbies? I figure running/walking is the price I pay so that I can sit on my butt and paint miniatures for hours at a time. Gotta be a tradeoff somewhere.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    Options
    OP here. Progress update: I'm down to about 200 lbs, now, and had an interesting moment the other day: I went for a walk and came upon an intersection, so I jogged across because there was a car coming soon, and was really surprised to find that I just felt like keeping going. It was way easier than I expected! :smile: I haven't been actively trying to run or jog or anything these days (because I'm still above my previous 190lbs "comfortable threshold"), so this came as a very exciting surprise.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am slender and lean, have been lighter, and running doesn't ever get effortless feeling for me, it's a slog at any weight. I went at it from the other direction - tried to gain muscle to see if it would make it easier feeling but nope. Started at 123lb, now at 136lb at 5'9", I am 48. Most of the gain was muscle. Running *fast* feels pretty good but I can only go for about a minute at the feels-good pace.

I do feel better for the whole rest of the day if I run in the morning though, even though I don't enjoy the running. I have yoga mornings and jogging mornings and the jogging works better for the "glow" feeling in the subsequent hours.

So, I don't love running while I am running, but I do love having running in my life, love that I can do it, feel better for doing it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I want this "feel like a feather" thing some of you are talking about.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP, yes! There is a definitely a correlation with weight and feeling like you can run faster/easier, etc.

When I started out, I was close to 170 and it was a bit of a struggle (I'm 5'7"). I'd say once I hit under 150 I felt like "I got this." I now range about 131 - 133 and have a 23:31 5K PR, 49:26 10K PR, and 2 sub 2 hour half marathons under my belt. I have definitely had moments - like last week when I did a continuous 8 mile track run at a 9:20 "easy" pace when I felt like I could go forever. I've also had moments during track workouts where I feel like I'm just flying! (Granted, this isn't every day, but it happens a LOT more now that I'm at a healthy weight.)

As I have gotten rather competitive (mostly with myself - I want to see how fast I can go!), I've been attempting to shave off a few more pounds so I can ideally hit 125 - 127. Obviously, as I'm already at a healthy weight, this is not really necessary - it's just more of a thing I'd like to do to improve further at my sport.

Good luck to you and just keep at it!! :)
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I run quite a bit. I've logged about 4,500 - 5,000 miles over the past 3 years or so. I love running though, it's one of my favorite things to do. I'm one of those people who find it as their form of meditation.

But anyways;

I weighed 172-190 during this period. I drift down to low 170's during marathon training and creep up a bit in winter. I don't plan on going above 180 in the future. I was still loosing weight when I was 190. I find that when I am sub 180 (I'm 5'10) I feel great. I could lose a bit more weight but I'm just one of those 'bigger people' so 170 is an ideal weight for me.

Congrats on running! It's an amazing activity!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP here. Progress update: I'm down to about 200 lbs, now, and had an interesting moment the other day: I went for a walk and came upon an intersection, so I jogged across because there was a car coming soon, and was really surprised to find that I just felt like keeping going. It was way easier than I expected! :smile: I haven't been actively trying to run or jog or anything these days (because I'm still above my previous 190lbs "comfortable threshold"), so this came as a very exciting surprise.

AWESOME. One thing that REALLY helped me a couple years ago when I pretty much had to start from square one again - I celebrated EVERY little victory like this. I plotted all my workouts on a calendar and I'd put smiley faces and sticker stars on it. I felt it really kept me motivated and in the game to focus on how far I'd come and the progress I was making, versus the long journey to where I wanted to be.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I've never felt like a feather at any weight.

I have felt like a gazelle, though, when everything just 'gels'. Like I'm bounding forward. That's pretty cool.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I've never felt like a feather at any weight.

I have felt like a gazelle, though, when everything just 'gels'. Like I'm bounding forward. That's pretty cool.

haha. fun! :smiley: I'm just wondering when I'll stop feeling like a troll crashing through the underbrush when running. hehe :wink:
  • SarahIluvatariel
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I do feel better for the whole rest of the day if I run in the morning though, even though I don't enjoy the running. I have yoga mornings and jogging mornings and the jogging works better for the "glow" feeling in the subsequent hours.

So, I don't love running while I am running, but I do love having running in my life, love that I can do it, feel better for doing it.

I need to remember this about the "glow" feeling. I used to do morning workouts, but haven't lately. I vaguely recall that feeling, and it would be great to have it back. :smile: Thanks for reminding me!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I weight currently in my "fatty" zone (210 lbs) I'm 5'11" but I'm comfortable running (slowish) now because I've build up some endurance. It just isn't weight, it is a lot about building up to volume.

When I'm at my target weight, clearly I'm faster and more comfortable.

Had an interesting run this weekend:

10 km Urban Trail

https://youtu.be/whr1FmBl5O4
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Oh how I can relate! When I first started running I was 230 lbs. It was very tough. I eventually lost 90lbs and running was much, much easier. During my weight loss I only did cardio, no strength training.

Then I got pregnant and gained 75 lbs.

I am now back down to my goal weight, although this time I've been incorporating strength training. I am about 10 lbs heavier than my lowest weight before I got pregnant. I've noticed that I am much faster and enjoying running much more now, than when I was 10lbs lighter. I have learned that although losing weight has been very effective at increasing my running speed, strength training has been critical.

Just another take on it :)

• lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I could weigh 10 lbs and I would still hate running! lol Hence the reason I just don't do it. I wanted to like it, I tried for years to like it. Truth is..I HATE IT! I came to terms with that and just do things I don't hate doing now.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6". My heaviest weight was around 175lb and I thought I was causing minor earthquakes in my local neighbourhoods when I tried to run at that weight. I hated it and my knees hated it. Now back at 155lb it's betting better but I still don't find it comfortable. My happy running weight is around or below 130lb.
  • shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My weight has only fluctuated by about 10 pounds or so in the past few years, so I don't think it has any bearing on how I feel running - the only thing that has is becoming better at running! When I got to the point that I could run about 2.5-3 miles without feeling totally exhausted, I started to not-hate it (this was also the point that I stopped doing run-walk intervals, which I think made a big difference in my enjoyment). When I embraced the idea that an "easy run" (i.e. most of my running) should be at a pace that's *actually* easy, I started to kind-of-like it.

I know that being lighter really does make you faster, but I wonder if a lot of people who feel like they're suddenly much better at running at a certain weight are really just hitting some point in their running training that makes it easier. If you're losing weight and working on running at the same time, a moment that feels weight-related might just be running-practice-related. Which is awesome!

I also started out running on the treadmill because I liked the feedback from the numbers, but realized that running outside is way way better. I just run with an app on my phone (runkeeper, but there are many others) that gives me the same kind of speed/distance/time feedback on the go.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'8" and 155 ish pounds female. When I started running at 163 lbs, it was AWFUL. I worked up to doing 3 miles a day at 10 minutes per mile on the treadmill. I still didn't like it and some days it REALLY wasn't worth it.
    So, I changed it to a 12 minute mile, and discovered I could run, listen to my music, and have a good time running! Yes, I am going slower, but it's SO much more tolerable and I can run SO much further. I'll figure out speed when I'm not on a calorie deficit.

Also--running while on a calorie deficit---sucks.
    Running while on maintenance or to burn off extra calories for the day is so much easier.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'8"
    Started running at 268, currently at 173
    Comfortable = 180
    Fun = 180

No gazelle here, but I just ran my first half marathon and it felt really, really good.
  • d_creasman
    d_creasman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    5'10, male
    I have pretty much been running my entire life, but I have found that the most comfortable (and fastest) that I have been is 169-172. Pretty much anything above that causes knee pains and below that feels like I don't have a lot of energy.