Foot Tattoo & Exercise

Options
Does anyone have legitimate first-hand experience with fresh foot tattoos and exercise? I truly do not want my tattoo anywhere else, and also do not want to skip exercising for 2-3 weeks. Any tips or suggestions? I am willing to modify my work-outs to avoid damaging the tattoo. Thanks!!!!!!

Replies

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't have a foot tattoo but I have ink elsewhere. You want to avoid friction on the area during healing. A quick Google search says to go barefoot as often as possible and wear shoes only if necessary. I would plan on exercise you can do shoeless (yoga?) or you'll risk damaging your new ink.
  • trishabledsoe15
    trishabledsoe15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read all of that on google but was hoping for exercise ideas. Yoga is a great one. Thanks!!!!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Most traditional strength moves (squats, deadlifts, bench presses, OH presses etc), isolation exercises which focus on the upper body (lat raises, curls, tricep kickbacks etc) and many of the machines have zero contact with the foot and many, if not all can be performed in minimalist shoes or barefoot.

So, strength work looks do-able.

For cardio I'm guessing that treadmill, elliptical, cycle, rower involve too much foot flex and therefor are out (at least in the first few days). Would swimming be suitable or would the water be an issue?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    No shoes for a while until it heals, the rubbing will damage the tat. You can exercise without shoes. I went to a running clinic and they actually suggest running a few laps barefoot. You have a better feel for where your foot is to strike, I personally need shoes to run. However, there are times when I do boot camp with no shoes. You can do many things with no shoes....plank, pushups, burpees, mountain climbers, squats....the list goes on. Swimming will be out unless it is a salt water pool, chlorine will fade the ink.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos on my feet, love them. Yes stay out of shoes (wear sandals) and keep your feet clean until the tattoos are healed and established. The suggestions of yoga and weightlifting are great barefoot exercise ideas, dance, tai chi, and bodyweight stuff, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.

Healing will go faster if you don't work out too heavy or too much, though. Resting and lots of sleep speeds the process.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've got 6 tattoos the latest was my entire chest in one session, I was in the gym the next day training. Did everything same as I had planned and had no problems. Same for my two upper arm pieces.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've got 6 tattoos the latest was my entire chest in one session, I was in the gym the next day training. Did everything same as I had planned and had no problems. Same for my two upper arm pieces.

I feel like a foot tattoo is slightly different just because of the location.

I mean- I was back in the gym a day or two later (Only due to where I was and getting back home) - none issue.
    But I definitely wouldn't want an open wound on my feet around the gym- that's asking for an infection.

Personally- I'd make sure it was just scabbed over and not weeping- then I'd be back in there doing my thing.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    no swimming. you don't want to expose the fresh "wound" to any potential infections.

I agree with those who recommend anything with limited foot movement or that can be done barefoot. but you'll really only need to modify your routine for a week at most, then your tattoo will be healed enough to not be bothered by socks or shoes.

it sounds like this is your first tattoo; congrats! welcome to the club, it's addicting :smiley:
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What I did was load a bunch of Vaseline on my foot tattoo and then wrap it up. In other words, make whatever fabric or wrap that IS touching your foot so slippery that it won't cause serious friction. Treat your tattoo like a blister. I did a lot of lifting weights while my tattoo healed.
  • Aellio290
    Aellio290 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got a foot tattoo and it was pretty sore and swollen for about two days I avoided doing anything leg/ foot related at the gym.

You're also not going to want to put on socks and shoes to work out so unless you can do something barefoot.

Maybe do arms/abs/core stuff for a few days while the foot heals.

PS-what ya getting? :)
  • HaleyAlvarado95
    HaleyAlvarado95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that swimming in even a salt water pool is a bad idea. Its suggested to not fully submerge your tattoo at all if possible, or as little as nessecary for 3-4 weeks.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    be careful with how much you are on your feet immediately after getting a foot tattoo. i had mine worked on in a four session and then was on my feet all weekend and the swelling got really bad. it still swells chronically from the trauma.
  • trishabledsoe15
    Options
    Thank you all SO MUCH! This helped me feel encouraged that I won't lose my fitness momentum during the first couple of weeks. I will definitely plan to take 2-3 days off and then use a friend's treadmill (barefoot) so I can clean it before I use it. I will probably take all the advice on squats, etc and strength training. Now to lose that last 5 lbs so I can get my tattoo reward!!!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo on the top of my foot. If it is fresh I would not go to a gym. I would work out at home.

I would ask the person that does your tattoo and follow their advice.
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do piyo barefoot, and it has a good cardio element. I think you can get the beach body app free for a week. Maybe you can do some of those?
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    So crazy I was just thinking of this question this morning. Not sure when to get tat on foot. Might wait for the weather to get better so I can wear scandals more
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my foot. As with all my other tattoos, there was no such thing as "not wearing an item of clothing" to prevent rubbing. I was in the military so I had to wear boots everyday, and did 5 mile runs every afternoon. It came out fine. Just hurt like a son of a *kitten*.
  • trishabledsoe15
    Options
    Thank you that is really good feedback! I am feeling like there is no reason to sacrifice my preferred tat location for the sake my fitness. I'm excited!