Importance of training forearms

Options
Hello there guys, I was doing some research on elbow pain. I came across this solution to the problem which was training the forearms, I was told elbow pain happens due to weakness in the forearms so when I do triceps or chest, the forearms are not able to withstand the pressure. I was thinking of doing forearms 3 days a week, I was thinking of stopping tricep movements and focus on strengthening the forearms until the elbow pain goes away.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can train forearms with any lift just by focusing on squeezing the bar as hard as you can while you do your sets. i never train forearms specifically and mine are super strong just from things like deadlifts and pullups. i personally would not give up triceps in exchange for forearms. You can also try wearing elbow sleeves, some people do that and it helps them . how long have you been lifting, all the joints toughen up over time and should be able to handle the pressure of lifting, unless you have something else going on like an injury or arthritis .
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you can train forearms with any lift just by focusing on squeezing the bar as hard as you can while you do your sets. i never train forearms specifically and mine are super strong just from things like deadlifts and pullups. i personally would not give up triceps in exchange for forearms. You can also try wearing elbow sleeves, some people do that and it helps them . how long have you been lifting, all the joints toughen up over time and should be able to handle the pressure of lifting, unless you have something else going on like an injury or arthritis .

I was thinking of giving up triceps until my elbows heal up.
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing something like farmer carries? I also agree with pull-ups or something like hanging abs. I only suggest those because I noticed after doing grip exercises my forearms got really firm. They are now one of my favorite parts of my body because when I flex, solid rock! :)

Definitely take it easy until your elbows heal up. You don't want to end up with an injury that keeps you away from training longer that you would like.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you been evaluated by a doctor for your elbow pain? Does it only hurt when you lift?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You can do farmer carries, only gripping with your fingers. I also like doing modified pull-ups using the smith machine. Those are just a couple of exercises I like.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    You can do farmer carries, only gripping with your fingers. I also like doing modified pull-ups using the smith machine. Those are just a couple of exercises I like.

With limited space, one can even just pick up some heavy dumbbells and hold them like farmer carries but without moving. Squeeeeeeeeze hard.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain located and do you do any trigger point therapy?
    I trained with triceps tendonitis for over a year and a half and finally after the pain shot through my arm so bad I damn near missed a rep on the bench I took a step back.
    I did a fe things
    1. I took 4 weeks completely off the gym
    2. I iced and heated my tricep 3 times a day for the first week
    3. I took a lacrosse ball and discovered I had so many knots in my fascial tissue. There were the primary cause of my pain. So I dug in and slowly rolled over ever knot in my tricep from top to bottom. Then I did my biceps, deltoids, pecs, and traps.
    4. That final fourth week I began to slowly test the tendon for pain under resistance. With slow controlled negatives of reverse grip cable extensions and single arm overhead extensions.

If it's a pain in the forearm you would attack similarly
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    jjburger77 wrote: »
    Have you thought about doing something like farmer carries? I also agree with pull-ups or something like hanging abs. I only suggest those because I noticed after doing grip exercises my forearms got really firm. They are now one of my favorite parts of my body because when I flex, solid rock! :)

Definitely take it easy until your elbows heal up. You don't want to end up with an injury that keeps you away from training longer that you would like.

I do assisted pullups because I cant do bodyweight pull ups yet, I am slowly building up to it. farmer walk can I do them with dumbbells. I am resting my elbows, they are slightly annoying me.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Have you been evaluated by a doctor for your elbow pain? Does it only hurt when you lift?

I have been having on and Off pain in the elbows, its not extremly painful, I just cant do certain exercises like skull crushers.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

Farmer walk, I will try them they look good, my gym only has dumbbells and barbells.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

With limited space, one can even just pick up some heavy dumbbells and hold them like farmer carries but without moving. Squeeeeeeeeze hard.

sounds Fun, I will try that, thank you
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Where is the pain located and do you do any trigger point therapy?
    I trained with triceps tendonitis for over a year and a half and finally after the pain shot through my arm so bad I damn near missed a rep on the bench I took a step back.
    I did a fe things
    1. I took 4 weeks completely off the gym
    2. I iced and heated my tricep 3 times a day for the first week
    3. I took a lacrosse ball and discovered I had so many knots in my fascial tissue. There were the primary cause of my pain. So I dug in and slowly rolled over ever knot in my tricep from top to bottom. Then I did my biceps, deltoids, pecs, and traps.
    4. That final fourth week I began to slowly test the tendon for pain under resistance. With slow controlled negatives of reverse grip cable extensions and single arm overhead extensions.

If it's a pain in the forearm you would attack similarly

I do stretching, I also do myfoacia release with a hockey ball and just roll it over my forearms.