Trying to bounce back from being disabled-advice please!

Options
Hello there everyone!
I am a 25 year old female who is trying desperately to get back into shape. I was injured in August of 2009. This injury resulted in nerve damage in my lower back. Up until fairly recently (December of 2010) I had been out of work and up until about 2 months before that I was bed (or couch) ridden. I was unable to even cook for myself until a few months after I was hurt. Nevertheless, I was not able to do physical exercise of any kind. The most I could do on a daily basis were basic things to take care of myself (shower, get dressed, do laundry, cook, get up to use the restroom, etc.). I'm now on a program that allows me to have the medication that helps with my pain and I would very much like to lose the weight that I gained whilst I was stuck in my house.

Thankfully because I have my medication I am able to start living a more normal life. Instead of focusing all my energy on not being in pain, I have been able to go back to work, start working out again, spend more time outdoors, and even start planning on going back to school.

My dilemma is this: I'm no longer sure what exercises I can do that won't aggravate my condition. It's nerve damage, so it's not like the muscles are the problem, nor is the spine itself. That being said, I can't lie on the floor and do sit ups or bend over backward. At some point when I once again have financial freedom I would like to hire a physical trainer to help me devise a program specifically tailored to my needs, but until then I'm wondering if anyone on this site deals with something similar to the situation I'm in.

I'd like to lose about 50 pounds and I want to do it the right way. I still struggle with some of the cravings I get because of the medication I'm on, but I have gotten a LOT better than I used to be. I'm working on portion control and all of that good stuff, including making healthier choices. What I need help with is finding out what other people with back pain do for exercise. I have a fitness center at the complex where I live that has some free weights in addition to an elliptical, a stationary bike, and a treadmill. I've had some luck with all three of the cardio machines and have found that I can do about 45 minutes per day in addition to all of my normal activities. I also own an exercise ball that I use to do sit ups/crunches. My goal is to be able to bike 16 miles per day by the end of the year.

Any advice that you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing your responses. Thank you for taking the time to read my long winded post!

Replies

• Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Bump - for future reference after my surgery.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When you say "nerve damage," do you mean physical pressure on that/those nerves? I ask because I have vicious sciatica, but mine is inspired by two herniated and one ruptured disk in my lower and middle back.

If at ALL possible, I would schedule at least one consult with a PT or physician to discuss this. Be very careful about advice from online forums when it's something as major as nerve issues in your back. If you cannot see a PT or physician, all I can tell you is that I keep most of my exercise to a stationary recumbent bike, which, in my case, keeps the pressure off while allowing me to get my heart rate up there.

I hope you find a good answer that allows you to work out and be well at the same time!

Kris
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi. In 1981 when I was 22 I was broadsided in my little volkswagon beetle. Flipped and ended up with a compression break in my neck at C4. My spine wasn't too damaged. But enough to leave me technically a walking quadriplegic, if that's even a term.

So look, you're at the start of a very long road you can choose to walk. You need to explore every form of movement and exercise there is. Some things you'll be able to do. Some you won't. For me, I need focus to pick up a 10 pound bag of flour. But I can pull my daughter all over the floor at swing dance classes. So I don't weight train. I do resistance training. Pulling rather than pushing. It's a subtle difference. But when the main line of communication between your brain and your body has been interrupted, you get creative.

The main thing is, you used the word "disabled" in the title. There is nothing wrong with that word There is no shame in it. But any disabled person would tell you, don't you dare accept it too readily. Don't you label yourself with it until you know that's the way of things.

You have just started this journey. Find your Zen. Fight the fight. Demand your life, whether it hurts or not. Don't you dare call yourself disabled.
  • Zyleah42
    Zyleah42 Posts: 5
    Options
    @ Thriceshy: It's not from pressure. I had a lumbar puncture that went awry or possibly aggravated some other pre-existing condition. No one is exactly sure, all we have been able to pinpoint up until now is that it's my nervous system that's the problem.

I do plan on going to see a PT for this, but as of right now I absolutely am not able to afford it.

@bretkeogh: Thank you for your support. I understand what you are saying, though I do feel the need to clarify. I was not calling myself disabled. I do not label myself as a disabled individual. If asked, I use the term "technically disabled" because without my meds I am absolutely unable to do ANYTHING. When my injury first occurred I couldn't even get up to take a shower for a week. I had to get my boyfriend, best friend, and parents to come over to cook, clean house, and take care of my animals for me including asking for their help in getting to the restroom and into the bath. Without my medication I am unable to live any semblance of a life. I refer to those times of my life as times where I was disabled. I wasn't able to move. I don't know how else to refer to those times. If I had another term for it I would gladly use it, but I don't.

Thank you for your tips. I really do appreciate anything that all of you can provide. I just want to get back into shape and back into my wardrobe.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it's tricky without knowing you, you don't want to do something that will cause more damage.
    I'd suggest start by tracking your eating - a big percentage of losing weight is controlling the calories that are going in, so that will be a good start.
    Then have a look at what you are already doing. It sounds like the bike or elliptical are working OK for you, so that's fantastic. You don't have to do more than 45 minutes a day, that's plenty. Just log this, eat right and you will be well on your way!
    You don't have to do an agressive exercise DVD to help out your body. And of course it will be best to get advice tailored to you, but I appreciate that this is expensive, so in the meantime, I would do what works for you, just increase your time or intensity very slowly and pay attention to what your body is telling you.
    Good luck!
  • Hip_Dancer
    Hip_Dancer Posts: 14
    Options
    As someone else noted, a physical therapist would be a tremendous help. If you get a referral from your physician, you should only be responsible for the co-pay, dependent on your your insurance, of course. Unfortunately, co-pays can be pricy as well. Often an evaluation is covered, even if follow-up treatments are not (with a co-pay). Maybe you could get an evaluation and recommendations from a PT. If so, try to talk with her/him beforehand about your situation, needs, and financial limitations.
    Belly Dance may also be an option for you. It usually doesn't require you to get on the floor and is great for strengthening the core and increasing flexibility. Just make sure to follow the limits given to you by your physician (or at the hospital).
  • Zyleah42
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate it and I know that a lot of things need to be tailored to my needs.
    I was really just wondering what other people with low back pain do for exercise. If you life weights, how do you do that? If you do sit ups, how?
    I don't have insurance at the moment, but I do have a primary care doctor that discounts my visits with him. I plan on speaking with him regarding exercise.
    Thanks again for all your responses. I appreciate it.
  • Zyleah42
    Options
    Belly dancing is a great idea! I'll check that out.
    I've recently found that yoga works wonders for me too.