Running or Walking :/

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why not just use an elliptical (is less strain on your knee joints).

I wish people would stop promoting this twaddle, running is not hard on your knees.......

OP if you want to run (I love running bur recognize that not everyone does....) start off with very short, slow running intervals while walking. Over time gradually increase the amount of time running (again, nice gentle conversational pace) and reduce the walking.

Take the time to build your aerobic base and allow the physiological adaptations that running requires.

• Katy2Survivor
    Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    But I have knees pain and is kinda frustrating .. I don't know why but i get it from walking... Now I was thinking maybe if I run ... I don't know
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Katt551 wrote: »
    But I have knees pain and is kinda frustrating .. I don't know why but i get it from walking... Now I was thinking maybe if I run ... I don't know

What is causing the knee pain? Have you seen a daughter or physio?
  • Katy2Survivor
    Options
    [quote

No I didn't it started to hurt me when I start walking
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Why not just use an elliptical (is less strain on your knee joints).

I wish people would stop promoting this twaddle, running is not hard on your knees.......

OP if you want to run (I love running bur recognize that not everyone does....) start off with very short, slow running intervals while walking. Over time gradually increase the amount of time running (again, nice gentle conversational pace) and reduce the walking.

Take the time to build your aerobic base and allow the physiological adaptations that running requires.

It definitely has a higher impact than walking or an elliptical...but to your points, running itself doesnt mean that you will have bad knees/joints...there is some adaption required.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    couch to 5 k is a good program to start with. If you are getting pains are you taking any supplements? I get pains if my calcium is too low. Are you taking Magnesium, how is your iron level? So many factors go into the cause of leg pain. Maybe start running for one Telephone pole to the next, then walk for 5 than run to the next telephone pole. Slowly increase how many you run vs how many you walk for.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's hard to diagnose the cause of the pain on the Internet, it could be something like arthritis or it could be a result of weak hips / glutes / core. Best bet is to see your doctor and, if necessary, get a referral to a physio or sports medicine clinic. There's a good probability that it is something that can be addressed.
  • Katy2Survivor
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    biking

Thanks !

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Cupid shuffle
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

What kind of daughter? Mine aren't very good at relieving pain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What kind of daughter? Mine aren't very good at relieving pain.

:laugh:

Stupid autocorrect!
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Walking. I built myself up to running and found I hate it. Its still too much on my knees. Maybe one day. For now, I walk!
  • Katy2Survivor
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Cupid shuffle

What is that ?

• Katy2Survivor
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    Walking. I built myself up to running and found I hate it. Its still too much on my knees. Maybe one day. For now, I walk!

Me too but more you know better it is ... Wish we walk together @ames105
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Cupid shuffle

What is that ?

A good exercise technique.