I wanna lose weight but I love food too much

Options
Please give me tips on how to handle this.

Replies

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    There are no tips. You are the only one to decide that you are ready and that your health/body is worth more than food.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    There are no tips. You are the only one to decide that you are ready and that your health/body is worth more than food.

this right here.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You need to decide that losing weight and being healthier is worth more than the twinkie or candy bar or loaded potato, or whatever it is you eat too much of.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How about eat less of the food you like.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You'll find out you love food even more when you don't eat it mindlessly. You can eat whatever you like, your favorite foods, your guiltiest junk foods, anything, just portion it correctly to lose weight.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that you don't love all food equally. My suggestion would be to focus on fitting your favorites into a food plan. I also suggest that you don't choose so low a calorie count that you can't stick with it. MFP gave me 1600 calories to lose almost 1 pound per week without exercise, more if I do exercise. Except for the fact that I have a hard time making myself log everything, that seems doable.
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try to limit your food by counting calories.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love food too...it's hard. But sometimes it's fun to find food that is yummy that fits in your calories. It is almost like a game. Like..."I have this kale, how can I possibly make it taste good? Bake it in the oven with some sea salt until it's a chip." Or, the true win...it's the end of the day and I've got 300 calories left for a big old bowl of homemade icecream.

That's kind of the beauty of counting calories. You don't have to cut out food you love, but you do have to make it fit in your calorie goal and eat enough lower calorie, nutrient dense stuff so that you are full as well as having your treats. The most successful people on here learn how to balance treats with the rest of their food for the long term. I'm still working on it.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed is not very far in, my appetite began to match what I was giving my body. So instead of eating a whole Bloomin' Onion or an entire pizza, I would get the same satisfaction from a normal portion size and be able to fit it into my diet.

You just gotta stick it out for the hard part!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that's an excuse. You really need to decide what's important.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    What I've noticed is not very far in, my appetite began to match what I was giving my body. So instead of eating a whole Bloomin' Onion or an entire pizza, I would get the same satisfaction from a normal portion size and be able to fit it into my diet.

You just gotta stick it out for the hard part!

This. I used to eat 2-3 slices of pizza, plus a few wings or breadsticks in one sitting. After sticking with portion sizes and watching my calories, just thinking about eating that much food in one sitting is not appealing to me in the slightest. Today, I had half a slice and a bite of a chicken wing and I was satisfied. I was full, not still hungry, and I didn't feel deprived b/c I didn't eat the amount that I used to.

You can still eat the foods that you love, just less of them. I eat chocolate daily. I generally have ice cream every night before bed, and I am still losing weight consistently. I just stay within my calorie goal.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Please give me tips on how to handle this.

Sure, plenty of tips. Take many viewings of the open heart surgeries due to weight issues. Look at the fact that every patient suddenly become the most dedicated, healthiest eaters, at least for a while. Same thing with ex smoker, lung cancer survivors.

Go on youtube and view gross foods clips. See if you still have your appetite.

Actively munch on celeries all day, even when you are not hungry. You'll be dead tired and bored with eating.

Eating is a behavior that can well be conditioned.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love food as well. What really helped me was making sure my goal wasn't too aggressive. I don't mind only losing a pound a month because I get to eat a lot while I do it.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way 60# ago. When I finally decided that i HAD to do it, i picked a plan and promised (myself)to be 100% faithful for 30 days. I decided that the right thing for me was to do the Nutrisystem, where they gave me exactly what i should eat, and i ate ONLY what they told me for 30 days. After that I told myself, give it another 30 days, BUT if you have friends going out for dinner up to 1x per week, you can do that too, as long as you log the calories. I keep giving myself 30 day rules, where it allows for whatever it is i've been missing. I'm also eating regular food too often, but i've kept on the Nutrisystem because it's so easy, and the frozen is pretty tasty.

I'd say i order 4 weeks worth of their food, every 6-7 weeks, and otherwise i'm on my own. BUT every bite i eat goes into the MFP log, no matter what. For me, that's the key to staying on target - log it ALL so you know what you're actually eating. Then when you're deciding what to eat, consider what it "costs" you vs what you have in your budget. I have ALWAYS loved cherries, and costco sells a huge bag of frozen cherries for a reasonable price and they're tasty. I can have a bowl FULL of cherries for less than two cookies, and be happier afterward. I still eat things I love, but i budget for them!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Join the club sista
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think our love of food is what brought most of us to MFP in the first place
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I used to love food too, well, I reckon I just liked to eat, or mostly did because there was food left, or I was bored, or I ate because I was offered food - NOW, when I plan my meals and don't overeat, and make an effort to make my meals as tasty and delicious as possible, and at the same time balanced and healthy, and wait for the next meal before I eat, and eat "off plan" on occasion, without any regrets - now, I love food.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 lbs and I still love food. The counting calorie thing isn't as bad as I thought. When I am more aware what things cost in calories I just make decisions on what is worth it. Maybe give us more info do you eat because your board? Have you just started counting? Are you a night time snacker? How mush are you trying to loose and at what pace? I think you could get better advise we had some more info.
  • dablinn
    dablinn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, try to find healthy food that you love and put more focus on eating that food. I was having similar issue and noticed that once my mood drops, I get a desire to eat. So I put more focus on being energized all the time (I even used these for a brief period https://liftmode.com/energizing/phenylethylamine.html) by exercising, hanging out with my friends etc.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I used to love food too, well, I reckon I just liked to eat, or mostly did because there was food left, or I was bored, or I ate because I was offered food - NOW, when I plan my meals and don't overeat, and make an effort to make my meals as tasty and delicious as possible, and at the same time balanced and healthy, and wait for the next meal before I eat, and eat "off plan" on occasion, without any regrets - now, I love food.

+1. Do this when you have become well disciplined.

One of the final push for me to start my wt loss was that foods were becoming too tasteless, boring and "guilt filled"

Now foods have become much tastier and more valuable. We eat less so we don't mind splurging on fancier, more quality foods.