How to get a really big butt??

Options

Replies

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I naturally have ZERO for buttocks. I tried squats and deadlifts, and got a tiny bit of bun-gains. What seems to be working for me is the following: before squats and deadlifts do glute activation warm ups (look on youtube, there are plenty of examples) to get the mind-muscle connection. Also, I target my glutes after squats and/or deadlifts with Romanian Deadlifts, barbell glute bridges (the best for me), and also hip/lower back extension focusing on glute squeeze and de-emphasizing lower back. Basically, you really have to focus on bun growth for it to happen, assuming that like me you were born bunless.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Squats help, yes... but that's the oversimplified MFP regurgitated version of an answer.

In truth, there are far more effective exercises for your glutes, though squats should probably be part of the routine. Look up Brett Contreras and read a few of his articles/workouts.

Lastly, diet and genetics will play a large role, too... but you seem to be more focused on the workout piece of the equation, so yea... Brett Contreras.

Finally.

Squats help but they are primarily a quad exercise

Ask 5 experts what muscle is dominate in the squat and you'll get 7 answers.
    Glutes and hams get you out of the hole.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Squats help, yes... but that's the oversimplified MFP regurgitated version of an answer.

In truth, there are far more effective exercises for your glutes, though squats should probably be part of the routine. Look up Brett Contreras and read a few of his articles/workouts.

Lastly, diet and genetics will play a large role, too... but you seem to be more focused on the workout piece of the equation, so yea... Brett Contreras.

Finally.

So, she's doing 1/2 squats then? They always make my glutes sore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options

Finally.

They also help to keep the "stuff" in till you're ready to get rid of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend side bends or sit ups.
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    1. Have good genetics
    2. Improve what you have with complex leg exercises. (Squats, dead lifts, good mornings, donkey kicks)
    3. Cheese fries

Mostly 1 but version 2 can make a difference. Your butt is one of the largest muscles in your body. It's a muscle. You can make it bigger. 3 works better than anything but the rest of you won't look so good.

I can confirm that 3 definitely works! :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Finally.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Kinda like Kegels
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    "The thrust is a must" ~Bret Contreras
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why I'm lying here unable to sleep due to butt pain!

Did glute work yesterday!!!
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    "The thrust is a must" ~Bret Contreras

This. And Bret Contreras gives great advice on this subject. I've gotten more from him than any other "guru" on the subject.
  • yane14
    yane14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Different variation squats, deadlift, lunges, bridges, donkey kicks, and leg raises.
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

How 'bout red beans n rice?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Alex729 wrote: »

I was gonna say collard greens and corn bread, lol.

But to be honest OP, like other's have said, you need to be eating more than 1200 calories. You can't build substantial muscle eating on a calorie deficit.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Alex729 wrote: »

Only if you stop playing those workout tapes by Fonda.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I already had a big butt, but after I cut I wanted to build it back up. I gained 3 inches lifting in a surplus. I did squat and deadlifts but they really weren't for my butt as much as hip thrusts, Glute bridges, cable pull throughs, cable kickbacks, good mornings, and lunges were.

But yeah...in a deficit, I could do all those things and it would still just get smaller.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    1. Have good genetics
    2. Improve what you have with complex leg exercises. (Squats, dead lifts, good mornings, donkey kicks)
    3. Cheese fries

Mostly 1 but version 2 can make a difference. Your butt is one of the largest muscles in your body. It's a muscle. You can make it bigger. 3 works better than anything but the rest of you won't look so good.

Thanks for the reply. I wish i could eat cheese fries but unfortunately, I'm on a 1200 calorie diet :( will for sure try the complex leg exercises though

You ain't building no big booty on 1200 calories

THAT's for sure.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Finally.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So high fiber diet for glutes?
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's genetic ( I am gifted
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ... But exercises help. Barbell squats, deadlifts, fire hydrants, curtsy lunges, weighted lunges, donkey kicks. Don't be afraid to use heavy weights.