High calorie Shake ideas?

Options
Hello.
I am currently 112 pounds and 5'7 my goal is to gain to at least 120 preferably 125. I have been tracking my calorie intake for over a week now and I average about 2,500 calories per day sometimes more. I do not exercise at all, but I am having a very hard time gaining weight. I understand that I need to eat more but it is actually hard to increase my calorie intake. Do you guys have any high-calorie shake recipes that you can share? I am new to this so any information will help.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    1-2 cups whole fat milk
    .5 cup oatmeal
    2 tablespoons gainzbutter
    1 banana
    1 scoop whey protein
  • Ioana_Dumi
    Ioana_Dumi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is your goal, how much would you like to gain per week? IMO a week is too soon to tell if something is/isn't working, especially since 2500 calories is a lot with if you're not exercising. I eat around 2300 and exercise about 45 min a day 5-6 days a week, and am gaining about 1 lb per week.
    How active are you during the day (do you move around a lot or do you have a desk job)?
    The shake I drink in the morning is similar to what jessef593 posted:
    - 250 ml whole fat milk
    - 50 g oats
    - 15 g hemp seeds (you can replace with peanut butter, other kind of seeds , coconut oil etc)
    - 1 banana
    - 1 scoop whey protein

Total about 650 cal.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Adding a tablespoon of oil, rapeseed, olive, coconut to any fruit smoothie works. Usually equates to an extra 120kcal on top of the fruits. I love adding peanut butter to a banana smoothie tasty and calorie dense.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any combination of:

Whole Fat Milk
    Protein Powder
    Fruit
    Peanut/Almond Butter
    Olive Oil

My shake was whole fat milk, chocolate protein powder, 1 banana, almond butter, and a shot or two of olive oil if I needed the extra calories (each tbsp is 120 calories, you won't taste it).

The key of weight gain or loss is slow and steady. You need to eat 500calories over your TDEE every day for 1lb of gain per week. That means to get to your goal, you need to be doing this for 8-12 *weeks, nonstop.

I suggest you exercise while doing this, so you build some muscle and shape vs just fat.
    If you have no idea where to begin, I suggest looking up the Strong Curves program... excellent for women.
  • jsbillingslea
    jsbillingslea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Any combination of:

Whole Fat Milk
    Protein Powder
    Fruit
    Peanut/Almond Butter
    Olive Oil

My shake was whole fat milk, chocolate protein powder, 1 banana, almond butter, and a shot or two of olive oil if I needed the extra calories (each tbsp is 120 calories, you won't taste it).

The key of weight gain or loss is slow and steady. You need to eat 500calories over your TDEE every day for 1lb of gain per week. That means to get to your goal, you need to be doing this for 8-12 *weeks, nonstop.

I suggest you exercise while doing this, so you build some muscle and shape vs just fat.
    If you have no idea where to begin, I suggest looking up the Strong Curves program... excellent for women.

Thanks! I've never heard of Strong Curves going to check it out now. Bc I'm totally lost on the process. I was/am afraid to exercise thinking I would lose the little weight I do have lol.
  • jsbillingslea
    Options
    Jo330673 wrote: »
    What is your goal, how much would you like to gain per week? IMO a week is too soon to tell if something is/isn't working, especially since 2500 calories is a lot with if you're not exercising. I eat around 2300 and exercise about 45 min a day 5-6 days a week, and am gaining about 1 lb per week.
    How active are you during the day (do you move around a lot or do you have a desk job)?
    - 250 ml whole fat milk
    - 50 g oats
    - 15 g hemp seeds (you can replace with peanut butter, other kind of seeds , coconut oil etc)
    - 1 banana
    - 1 scoop whey protein

Total about 650 cal.

I would like to gain a pound a week but I know that may be pushing it. I work in a doctors office so I have limited activity during the day. I would like to incorporate exercise buy afraid I will lose weight if I do. What type of exercising do you do?
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would start resistance training at least 2-3 days per week and eat icecream and peanut butter before bedtime. Also lots of carbs during the day. You can also try a weight gainer shake from a health food store but, make sure you drink a lot of water.
  • Ioana_Dumi
    Ioana_Dumi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lift weights (Goddess toning program) 3 times per week for about an hour and walk/jog on the treadmill for 30 min 2-3 times per week. I'm 5'5" and 101 lbs :) and have been eating 2200-2300 calories for the past week and a half and have gained 1 lb (before that I ate about 1800 for a few weeks and didn't gain anything, so I was probably at maintenance).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any combination of:

Whole Fat Milk
    Protein Powder
    Fruit
    Peanut/Almond Butter
    Olive Oil

Thanks! I've never heard of Strong Curves going to check it out now. Bc I'm totally lost on the process. I was/am afraid to exercise thinking I would lose the little weight I do have lol.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The above is a list of a lot of workout programs and links to the program details. Exercising and highly recommended when gaining weight, so it's not just fat, but it will just require you to eat a few more calories.
  • jsbillingslea
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Any combination of:

Whole Fat Milk
    Protein Powder
    Fruit
    Peanut/Almond Butter
    Olive Oil

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The above is a list of a lot of workout programs and links to the program details. Exercising and highly recommended when gaining weight, so it's not just fat, but it will just require you to eat a few more calories.

Awesome!! Thanks so much!
  • jsbillingslea
    Options
    I lift weights (Goddess toning program) 3 times per week for about an hour and walk/jog on the treadmill for 30 min 2-3 times per week. I'm 5'5" and 101 lbs :) and have been eating 2200-2300 calories for the past week and a half and have gained 1 lb (before that I ate about 1800 for a few weeks and didn't gain anything, so I was probably at maintenance).

OK thanks! I'll check that program out.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    - 250 ml whole fat milk
    - 50 g oats
    - 1 banana
    - 1 scoop whey protein

Total about 650 cal.

I would like to gain a pound a week but I know that may be pushing it. I work in a doctors office so I have limited activity during the day. I would like to incorporate exercise buy afraid I will lose weight if I do. What type of exercising do you do?

As long as you're eating at a surplus you won't lose weight no matter how much exercise you're doing. I workout 6 days a week, but since I'm constantly at a 250-500 cal surplus im steadily gaining weight. If you eat at a surplus without exercising almost all of your weight gain will be fat. Trust me, you don't want that. Try lifting weights and eating around an extra 250 calories a day, give it two weeks and you'll begin to notice good weight gain.

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    - 250 ml whole fat milk
    - 50 g oats
    - 1 banana
    - 1 scoop whey protein

Total about 650 cal.

DAMN! I drink the exact same thing -only difference is I'm in process of cutting down and few other changes.

40g Oats
    2% Milk 350ml
    2 scoop whey protein (this has only 1 carb and 1 fat per 30g scoop and 28g protein)
    2 TBSP Kraft 100% Peanut butter
    10g Almonds
    1 Banana
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Milkshake1.jpeg
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Whole fat everything! Yay!
  • jsbillingslea
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    - 250 ml whole fat milk
    - 50 g oats
    - 1 banana
    - 1 scoop whey protein

Total about 650 cal.

As long as you're eating at a surplus you won't lose weight no matter how much exercise you're doing. I workout 6 days a week, but since I'm constantly at a 250-500 cal surplus im steadily gaining weight. If you eat at a surplus without exercising almost all of your weight gain will be fat. Trust me, you don't want that. Try lifting weights and eating around an extra 250 calories a day, give it two weeks and you'll begin to notice good weight gain.
    I will definitely incorporate some exercise! Thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Milkshake1.jpeg

OMG i <3 this!!!
  • mannymoos3
    mannymoos3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    easiest way is to drink half an half, its 320cals for 8oz so its a strong base for any shake, tastes better than milk. i like to add 1 serving of chocolate syrup to 16oz of half to make chocolate milk an comes out to 740cals