Lost 60 pounds while my husband was deployed to Iraq

Options

Replies

• maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    You look amazing! Well done! I would have loved to see his reaction when he saw you for the first time! :)
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Wow what a difference, congrats to you!
  • otranquility
    Options
    HOLY MOLY YOU LOOK AMAZING!
    Congrats!
  • dhartswifey
    Options
    WOW! Congrats!!! I really needed this this morning as my husband is in Afghanistan and I want to do the same while he's gone....This is his 3rd deployment and I've said every deployment I want to do this and always fall through...He will be home in December and I want to look and feel different before he returns! I bet your husband was so suprised and couldn't keep his hands off you ;) AWESOME!!!!
  • nichole883
    nichole883 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! Congrats! I bet your husband was shocked to see such a difference. I have 1-2 more months before my husband returns home from a year in Iraq and I can't wait to surprise him too.
  • Soulierl
    Soulierl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! Thank you all for the kind words...

I told my husband after he left that I really wanted to lose weight, but when the scale actually started moving, I did NOT tell him that the weight was actually coming off. When we would talk on Skype I would wear big Tshirts or sweatshirts - and since the video feed was never really any good where he was deployed, I didn't have to worry so much about him seeing a difference in the weight of my face. So I wouldn't let him see me as the weight was coming off.

He was able to come home in October on leave and by that time I had lost 35 pounds. When I picked him up from the airport he stopped for a minute and then ran up to me and told me he missed me and how beautiful I am.... Then nothing...... Everywhere we would go with friends they would all say things like, "oh my goodness! Did you just die when you saw how much weight she's lost??". And he would just say, "She's so beautiful!".

But he never would say anything about the weight loss.... So after a few days I told him, "ok now, you are hurting my feelings!!!" and he said "why?". I said "cause you haven't said anything about how much weight Ive lost!!!" he said, "Well I just didn't want you to think I didn't like the way you looked before!!!" TYPICAL MAN TRAP huh?? Hehehe

He went back to iraq for another 6 months, and by the time he was home in march 2011 I had lost a total of 60 pounds! He now tells me how proud he is of me.... Cuz I keep telling him how hard this has been...

It has been doubly hard to continue eating right since he's been home!! Like several of the posts said, it's MUCH easier to keep up good eating habits while he's gone, and it's SO easy to fall back into bad habits when he's home. But I'm going to beat the odds!!! I refuse to go back to the way I was!!

A little bit about my family history... Both of my parents were large, my brother weighs close to 500 pounds, and my sister weighs close to 340 pounds... I didn't start to struggle with my weight until after my 30's - now that I'm 43 years old, it's much harder to get it off and keep it off....

To my fellow military wives here..... You CAN do this!!!! And y'all have all done so great so far!!! I cant wait till your husbands get home!!!
  • EmilyDezo
    EmilyDezo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it!
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! Thank you all for the kind words...

I told my husband after he left that I really wanted to lose weight, but when the scale actually started moving, I did NOT tell him that the weight was actually coming off. When we would talk on Skype I would wear big Tshirts or sweatshirts - and since the video feed was never really any good where he was deployed, I didn't have to worry so much about him seeing a difference in the weight of my face. So I wouldn't let him see me as the weight was coming off.

He was able to come home in October on leave and by that time I had lost 35 pounds. When I picked him up from the airport he stopped for a minute and then ran up to me and told me he missed me and how beautiful I am.... Then nothing...... Everywhere we would go with friends they would all say things like, "oh my goodness! Did you just die when you saw how much weight she's lost??". And he would just say, "She's so beautiful!".

But he never would say anything about the weight loss.... So after a few days I told him, "ok now, you are hurting my feelings!!!" and he said "why?". I said "cause you haven't said anything about how much weight Ive lost!!!" he said, "Well I just didn't want you to think I didn't like the way you looked before!!!" TYPICAL MAN TRAP huh?? Hehehe

He went back to iraq for another 6 months, and by the time he was home in march 2011 I had lost a total of 60 pounds! He now tells me how proud he is of me.... Cuz I keep telling him how hard this has been...

It has been doubly hard to continue eating right since he's been home!! Like several of the posts said, it's MUCH easier to keep up good eating habits while he's gone, and it's SO easy to fall back into bad habits when he's home. But I'm going to beat the odds!!! I refuse to go back to the way I was!!

A little bit about my family history... Both of my parents were large, my brother weighs close to 500 pounds, and my sister weighs close to 340 pounds... I didn't start to struggle with my weight until after my 30's - now that I'm 43 years old, it's much harder to get it off and keep it off....

To my fellow military wives here..... You CAN do this!!!! And y'all have all done so great so far!!! I cant wait till your husbands get home!!!

You have done GREAT!!!! Keep up the good Work.:flowerforyou: When I lost 87 pounds about 4 years ago, I found that as long as I exercise I could eat more calories. However I would eat healthy and use those moments if I went out to eat. My goal is to get back to where I was, after three ankle surgeries and pure bed rest i've gained back about 65 pounds. But I do know burning calories win the weight loss journey. The more muscles you gain the more calories you burn a day. So I admire you and all the others that are an inspiration to me, hearing yall success stories, make me hold on and never give up, no matter what struggles I have to face.
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Way to go, seriously.

I'm doing the same thing right now. Hubs left for AFG in Feb, won't be back until next spring. May make it home for R&R in November, but not guaranteed. Best part of my story is that he has NO idea. I cannot wait to see his face when he realizes that I'm skinny again.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! Great job! My husband is deployed right now too and it's so much easier to fall into better eating habits when they are gone and fall back into the bad ones when they come home! Keep strong, you can do it! :) Again, just WOW!

Isn't that the truth!
  • HotMommy0609
    HotMommy0609 Posts: 224
    Options
    Great job!! :drinker:
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!!! Congrats!!!! You've done an awesome job! You look amazing and beautiful!! :flowerforyou:
  • Soulierl
    Soulierl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have kept a size 20W jeans --- just to put on for those days I feel defeated, or days when I make bad food choices... It let's me know I've come too far to sabotage myself - like I always did in the past if I had a bad food day!!

:flowerforyou:
  • beth2411
    beth2411 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wow well done !
  • shazzamax
    shazzamax Posts: 2
    Options
    Fantastic, well done
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the good work. I know it's hard when your family is not on the same wavelength, but just stick with it! Maybe you'll be a good influence on him.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You are a big inspiration. I have a similar goal of about 70 lbs to lose and I can see how much of a difference it makes to take that much weight off the body.
    Keep up the great work!
  • alahey
    alahey Posts: 1
    Options
    That's amazing and you should be very proud of your success. Losing weight is not easy and if you keep entering your food intake in the daily journal, that's an incentive to keep it off. Good luck.
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • Skinny625
    Skinny625 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Good Job! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!