March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Saw the PT today. Wants me to only run 4 days a week and if I miss a day, to just let it go. (whaaaat???) I can re-work the training plan to just 4 days, but that means adding miles to the other days to maintain the mileage building. I hate to admit it, but I DO need to set some rest days in stone on my calendar. Otherwise he seems really happy with the progress I'm making, so yay for that.
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    **** Not Running, taking rest for few days. Will start from Easter holidays :) ****

@ddmom0811.. Thanks for the Advice, seems to be more than first mile problem I guess. I have taken a week off.
    @greenolivetree... Thanks for concern. I think I am sleeping bad, I checked that I have been sleeping around 5hrs / day from last two weeks. Might be the reason I guess. Have taken a week off and will resume once the work load decreases and get better sleep.
    @ceciliaslater.. Congratulations on completing the Marathon
    @shanaber... I stopped calorie counts which I used to do in MFP. Thought it as an overhead as I got the control I needed over chocolates, Ice-creams :). Eating before the run, yes I think I have stopped that, Might be that's the reason.. Thanks. Trying lots of things, Need to stop experimenting and need to stick to one plan.
    @WhatMeRunning, @Stoshew71 .. that's a great share. "Don't compare your chapter 1 to someone else's Chapter 20". I am two month infant in running world so I need to stop worrying on sub 30 5K etc :) and start "Comparing my Capter 2 to chapter 1 instead for motivation.
    @Meffordh.. Don't you worry you'll get there. I had the same thoughts that I can never run a 5K, I am not any better than you. But, after 2 months into running I am comfortable that I can run 5K any day. Just don't give up, we are still better than those who won't try. For advice and help there are so many Experts here they'll help you. Thanks @Stoshew71 for creating this thread.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    4.5 miles this morning, my longest run for a while and it felt good :)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    @07KatieP13 Glad your back on track!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Wow! I can't imagine a full out sprint for 800m!! That is just incredible.

Truth be told though I might not even have a full out sprint at all. I have done some shorter speedwork intervals at sprint distances at the fastest speed I was comfortable running at. But I suspect (know) that a true sprint is a different beast.

I also can't imagine the stress of those 800m to 1600m efforts. When I do intervals of those distances there is still something left in reserve to run the recovery period and then do another. I am nowhere near completely spent. I would have no clue how to pace myself for blasting all my energy in such a short period. Long distances however, I can just adapt my pace so I can go the distance. Much easier.

@Virkati - Good luck letting it go. Maybe just live vicariously off of this thread??
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Half-mile intervals today - felt great. Who else dreads the shower (and the sting of the water on whatever new rash you've acquired during your run)? I have tried a few things ... what are your secrets? I have a permanent sports bra line and I run sleeveless, so the undersides of my (musclebound, lol jk) triceps gets rubbed against my shirt.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    I've switched my run to before waking the madhouse up and ready for their schools which means getting up at 4am. This morning I wanted to say F all that and snooze but got up any way. The wind had been howling all night with steady 25 to 30 mph winds from the south so I planned a mostly east/west out and back to avoid too much running against that wind. Despite not wanting to get out and run, and having the wind, I had a great run. Wound up running it sub-tempo effort even though I was shooting for easy, so I'll call it a steady state run so I sound like I am a smart run planner and all that. Truly though, with the actual pace, perceived effort and HR, it may be better referred to as a race pace run (HM target pace). Having all of it be the same feels encouraging that my target HM pace is entirely on target.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles
    3/22 - 4 miles
    3/23 - 4 miles

118/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    03/01 3.23
    03/02 3.19
    03/03 3.17
    03/04 3.27
    03/05 6.83
    03/06 8.15
    03/07 3.17
    03/08 3.43
    03/09 3.59
    03/10 6.25
    03/11 2.70
    03/12 0.00 (16 mile bike ride)
    03/13 7.01
    03/14 3.09
    03/15 3.28
    03/17 3.34
    03/18 5.21
    03/19 4.90
    03/20 7.01
    03/21 2.79
    03/22 3.11
    03/23 3.29

TOTAL 91.9
    GOAL 100

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

exercise.png

Half-mile intervals today - felt great. Who else dreads the shower (and the sting of the water on whatever new rash you've acquired during your run)? I have tried a few things ... what are your secrets? I have a permanent sports bra line and I run sleeveless, so the undersides of my (musclebound, lol jk) triceps gets rubbed against my shirt.
    Body glide is my friend in chafing situations. I have a pair of winter running tights that will chafe right where my upper thigh meets my butt cheek. A shower reminds me if I did not use body glide ahead of time. With it however, no issues. Hope that helps!

Oh, and while it does sting, it kind of makes me smile, like it is proof that I worked hard. But it is no fun if it interferes with future runs.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

exercise.png

3.5 yesterday!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    UGH I'm so freaking pissed off. Yesterday my knee/ITB started to hurt during my run. After almost of month of no pain. After a bit it let off so I kept running and it was uncomfortable but not awful when I was done. By 7:00 last night I could hardly walk on it. Did lots of stretching and all. This morning it didn't hurt when I got up so I got dressed and went out, I didn't even get a 1/4 mile when the pain was so bad I could hardly walk again. Came home and got Macy and decided to try and walk it off. The pain is less, but still hurts like hell. I was just released from PT on Friday, I haven't done a thing differently then I was. I'm so over this, so much for my HM in 3 weeks.

@whatmerunning I can't imagine it either, the only time I've done a full sprint was if I was chasing the ice cream truck :wink: We have boys who do the 800m in under 2 minutes. Yipe! Skip's goal is 2:30 before the end of the year, that is still taking 20 seconds off her time. That is rough.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

exercise.png

Body glide is my friend in chafing situations. I have a pair of winter running tights that will chafe right where my upper thigh meets my butt cheek. A shower reminds me if I did not use body glide ahead of time. With it however, no issues. Hope that helps!

Oh, and while it does sting, it kind of makes me smile, like it is proof that I worked hard. But it is no fun if it interferes with future runs.

I totally get that!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny
    15-no run (yet) knee and kidneys are sore.
    16-no run-kidney's still hurt
    17-carpool-no run. grumble.
    18-carpool and slush fell from the sky this morning. so I vinyasa/power aerial yoga-ed
    19-car shopping
    20-family stuff
    21-6.13mi not easy not too hard. well the first 15 min were awful but then it settled in.
    22-wedding stuff to do, hip hurts-yoga tonight
    23-more yoga

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber dang! So sorry about the ITB. I hope another round of PT helps? Did they do ultrasound therapy? It helped in some of my soft tissue areas (shoulder, butt). Really feel for ya.. :frowning:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    3/17: DC mini-vacation
    3/18: DC mini-vacation
    3/19: 7.2 miles
    3/20: 20 birthday miles!
    3/21: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/22: Rest day!
    3/23: 10 miles (am)

10 good miles this morning! Perfect springtime weather -- not too hot, not too cold -- and barely a breeze. My calf feels much better, though I think it affected my gait more than I thought. Lots of roving aches today, probably my muscles are trying to get back to normal after a week+ of running a little weird due to the calf stiffness. Oops. 6 more this afternoon, and the high is going to be 70 today, so I'm excited to get out in the heat!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning That's one thing I don't miss about living in the middle of the US... the winds! 25-30 mph winds are a rare thing out here. Now I think 10-15 mph is horrendous :D

@4leighbee Re; Chafing: I found that Body Glide didn't quite do the trick for me. I have a travel sized tub of Vaseline that I take with me to races and it sits on my bathroom counter otherwise. I put the Vaseline under my sports bra and on my toes and anywhere else I may need it. It's thicker so I find it works better for some tricky spots. Since I started using Vaseline, my perma-chafe from my VS sports bras (which sadly I must retire as they are now too big :'( ) has disappeared.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Another 5.5k at the Y track. Right knee is bothering a bit. I'll try some strengthening work tonight.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find rest days harder than run days? Today is a rest day....and I just do a little walking and maybe some abs later, and thats it.....I feel like a race horse in the starting gate and can't wait until 0500 tomorrow when I can run again.....But I'm keeping it at 4 days a week for the time being, unless I need to add a 5th in the summer to get the mileage I need to train for the half.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    I believe I am currently on pace to hit my goal by March 34th

:D
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I hope you get this pain figured out. Maybe some ibuprofen for a couple days might do the trick? Only mentioning because I have been dealing with some occasional piriformis or sciatica type pain which a couple months ago I chalked up to an adductor, then maybe hamstring until I really checked it all out to isolate it. In that case it is about alleviating the inflammation to allow proper circulation and healing back to the area, and careful stretching and strength building to address the root cause without aggravating it more while building up my miles still. I have actually had it flare up when I get too aggressive on either strength or speed, so I stick with running easy for now (and won't visit the trainer at that gym for a while). So far this system has worked. Hoping you might have a similar way out.