How do u balance school and excersize.

Options
I'm a college student my grades r so important to me. No I didn't out on the freshman fifteen it was more like the sophomore 20. How do I make time how do I balance.

Replies

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sooo... I have a free 3 story gym at my university. I also try taking exercise classes.

Try jogging to your classes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do you work? If you're taking 18 hours and assume 3 hrs out of class per each hour to study that comes to 54. There are 168 hours in a week. Plenty of time to work out
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If college classes are really all you have to work around you should have plenty of time.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    If college classes are really all you have to work around you should have plenty of time.

Yep. And if your uni has a fitness center, take full advantage of that. I studied full time (15 credit hours), was a research and teaching assistant for two professors, and I have 3 children and a spouse whom I make time for. Lost 26 lbs, got fit, and I graduated summa cum laude. The getting in shape part took, by far, the least amount of my time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Jog between classes.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Make it a priority. I work full time and am finishing up grad school with straight A's. My workouts are on my schedule like any thing else.

Like others have suggested to you, I take full advantage of my school's gym. My school is also next to a 32-mile long running/biking trail. My gym bag goes to class with me, so I can change at school and either work out in the gym or go for a run before going home. I find that time running or lifting before heading out gives me a good chance to think about the lecture and assignments while they're still fresh, and when I finish the workout I know exactly what I need to study or work on for school. Nice bonus.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I remember school days as by far the more relaxed period of my adult life, when I could spend hours exercising for fun. Attending classes, studying and having a part time job was like a holiday compared to full time work and having a family. If you want to exercise, you will find time.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options

It *is* hard when you've got loads of assignments and stress. I piled it on in the first half of this year. I was forever missing the gym because my meetings for my final year project or coursework groups would run over, or I was having a good run of concentration when writing an essay and didn't want to break it. Yeah, at uni your time is technically more flexible, but the lack of routine also makes things difficult.

Try to create as much routine as you can and stick to it. If you don't feel like you have the time/money to go to the gym, try free workouts on YouTube. Some are only twenty minutes and they're great.

Exercise is also really good stress relief. I find the uni gym to be fantastic. Don't stress and feel you have to be exercising for hours. I know so many people who start going to the gym and spend three hours there, and they don't stick to it because it's too much.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mollyvay wrote: »
    I'm a college student my grades r so important to me. No I didn't out on the freshman fifteen it was more like the sophomore 20. How do I make time how do I balance.

School morphs over into life where the question then becomes "How do you balance life and exercise?", or ".....life, a relationship, a family, my work, and exercise", or any variation of the mix.

You simply make time. You learn to do it. Time management.

Keep in mind - weight is lost in the kitchen. You "exercise" for health benefits, not to lose weight.

If you think you are busy in school - just wait. The real world gets turned up a few notches when it comes to being busy....
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You just fit it into your schedule and make it part of your routine. I did grad school (with excellent results!) while working full time. I still exercised 5-6 days a week and food prepped. I was super organised and working out was critical for stress relief. I coped so much better with all the pressure when I was exercising daily.
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    To all the people saying how easy school is compared to work, I disagree. I've worked full time and I looked back with rose-tinted glasses on studying, and when I went back to uni it was so much more stressful than working.

When you work, your spare time is your spare time. At uni, there is always assignments on your to-do list, and no time ever feels like your own.

It's not an excuse not to do exercise, because there will always be something that makes it difficult. But there is really no need to be so condescending.
  • Packerjohn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To all the people saying how easy school is compared to work, I disagree. I've worked full time and I looked back with rose-tinted glasses on studying, and when I went back to uni it was so much more stressful than working.

When you work, your spare time is your spare time. At uni, there is always assignments on your to-do list, and no time ever feels like your own.

It's not an excuse not to do exercise, because there will always be something that makes it difficult. But there is really no need to be so condescending.

You may be an outlier. I think most people who have experienced full time college vs a 40-50+hr/week professional job plus commute a spouse and kids will say they had substantially more free time and less stress in college
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I was a scholar athlete in college in engineering. There are thousands of scholar athletes in demanding majors. They make it work. Anyone can make a little bit of time each week for some exercise. Your excuses are invalid.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You may be an outlier. I think most people who have experienced full time college vs a 40-50 hr/week professional job plus commute a spouse and kids will say they had substantially more free time and less stress in college

Right? I don't think I've ever thought: "Man, this 60 hour week was tough, but at least I'm not in undergrad anymore! Those 18 hours of lab and lecture were killer! It really got in the way of my napping and vodka schedule".
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Everyone has life commitments that take time and most people are very serious about their responsibilities. I work full time, 10-12 hour days. 45 minute commute one way to work. Today, I have already been in the gym for 65 minutes, walked for an hour outside, and am at my desk and it isn't even 7 am yet. You do what you have to do, and make time. Life doesn't get easier for most people. I am 64.
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    You may be an outlier. I think most people who have experienced full time college vs a 40-50 hr/week professional job plus commute a spouse and kids will say they had substantially more free time and less stress in college

Well yeah, a job AND kids AND a commute is tough. College might be easier than that, but it doesn't make it easy. The OP did not post, "Help, my life is harder than everyone else's because I'm in college," She was asking for practical advice on how to balance her time.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This is your 21 year old wisdom speaking, sorry.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    1. Get up early and run or do a video before school
    2. Workout at school during a break
    3. Workout after school at school's gym or other location

Just make it part of your routine.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Well yeah, a job AND kids AND a commute is tough. College might be easier than that, but it doesn't make it easy. The OP did not post, "Help, my life is harder than everyone else's because I'm in college," She was asking for practical advice on how to balance her time.

You're correct. Here is the practical tip.

For the op look at the amount of time you spend watching tv playing video/computer games, messing with social media, etc. I would bet eliminating half of these non-value added activities would easily free up 1-2 hours a day to exercise.

Best of luck.