goal question

Options
2»

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Losing slowly is still losing. At the end of a year you'll be 20-25 pounds lighter than where you're at now even if you're only losing half a pound a week. Isn't that worth being proud of?

I started off at 2 pounds a week, then 1.5, then went down to 1 pound when it got more challenging. Then I started exercising more and went up to 1.5 again because I could handle it. Listen to your body, don't make things harder on yourself than you need to. I'm only able to handle such an aggressive goal because I've got nearly 100 pounds to lose (after having already lost 100 pounds), and even with that much to lose there are times I struggle.
  • bigorange70
    bigorange70 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. It all depends on CICO as we get told everyday. I have 13.5 lbs left to lose. I had 35 lbs total I wanted to lose. I still have mine set to 2 lbs a week and I get 1500 calories a day. It depends on your personal needs for food. Some.people need more food because of the exercise they put in. Some people need more food because they are still having cravings that are hard to deal with. I say just set your goal where it is manageable for you and log everything. Even if you slip up and eat to much as long as you are logging it can correct your craving days. Just my 2 cents.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Also, just as an FYI for those who still have themselves set at a pretty aggressive deficit while nearing their goal weight - that approach can make the transition into maintenance a bit more challenging. If you are set to lose 2 lbs/week you are at a 1000 cal deficit from your maintenance number. When you reach your goal weight and suddenly have 1000 cals extra to eat every day, a lot of people are overwhelmed. Transitioning into maintenance often brings an increase in scale weight as glycogen stores are replenished, the bigger your deficit while losing the more those stores have been depleted so that is another reason it is recommended to slow down your rate of loss and ease back into maintenance.

These were stated above but deserve repeating...
    - 0.5 lbs per week if 25 lbs or less to lose (250 cal deficit)
    - 1 lb per week if looking to lose 25-50 lbs (500 cal deficit)
    - 1.5 lb per week if looking to lose 50- 75 lbs (750 cal deficit)
    - 2 lbs per week if looking to lose 75+ lbs (1000 cal deficit)
  • bigorange70
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also, just as an FYI for those who still have themselves set at a pretty aggressive deficit while nearing their goal weight - that approach can make the transition into maintenance a bit more challenging. If you are set to lose 2 lbs/week you are at a 1000 cal deficit from your maintenance number. When you reach your goal weight and suddenly have 1000 cals extra to eat every day, a lot of people are overwhelmed. Transitioning into maintenance often brings an increase in scale weight as glycogen stores are replenished, the bigger your deficit while losing the more those stores have been depleted so that is another reason it is recommended to slow down your rate of loss and ease back into maintenance.

So let me ask. So you are saying that I will have to eat 2500 calories a day to maintain once I lose my other 13.5 lbs I have to lose?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So let me ask. So you are saying that I will have to eat 2500 calories a day to maintain once I lose my other 13.5 lbs I have to lose?

I'm not sure, without knowing more of your stats (height, current weight, activity level). You said you get 1500 cals to lose 2 lbs/week. Are you losing 2 lbs/week currently? Consistently (aside from normal fluctuations)? Are you logging your food accurately? Eating back exercise calories?

But yes, in theory, if you are losing 2 lbs/week eating 1500 cals/day then that indicates that your maintenance number would be close to 2500 cals.

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose, it is a good time to start trying to figure out what your maintenance plan would look like. As I mentioned, many people find the transition a bit challenging. For example, most people are shooting for a goal weight, but maintenance is usually a range of about 5 lbs because scale weight does fluctuate normally. Some people are discouraged when they hit their goal weight, add back in extra calories, and then the scale jumps up.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at 0.5lbs pounds per week. I need to find something sustainable where I still have energy to work out and where I can try to lessen muscle loss. I certainly do not feel like a failure!

0.5lbs per week when you are nearing your goal makes a lot of sense.
  • bigorange70
    Options

I'm not sure, without knowing more of your stats (height, current weight, activity level). You said you get 1500 cals to lose 2 lbs/week. Are you losing 2 lbs/week currently? Consistently (aside from normal fluctuations)? Are you logging your food accurately? Eating back exercise calories?

But yes, in theory, if you are losing 2 lbs/week eating 1500 cals/day then that indicates that your maintenance number would be close to 2500 cals.

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose, it is a good time to start trying to figure out what your maintenance plan would look like. As I mentioned, many people find the transition a bit challenging. For example, most people are shooting for a goal weight, but maintenance is usually a range of about 5 lbs because scale weight does fluctuate normally. Some people are discouraged when they hit their goal weight, add back in extra calories, and then the scale jumps up.

I am 5' 10" weigh currently 173.5 with a goal weight of 160 lbs. I am lightly active and that is what I have it set on and now on a regular basis I get 10000 steps a day. I want to maintain at 160.