Menu planning

Options
7411433 Posts: 1 Member
I am one of those that have lost the weight only to gain it all back. I could use some help with menu planning. Today, I have not used all my calories, but my carb and sugar count is over. Any help?

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I dunno, I don't pay attention to macros outside of calories and protein. But I suppose I can recommend what I am eating for dinner tonight - spinach and mushroom egg white frittata.

I'm too lazy to write out my own recipe that I use, but you can use this for the base:

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Egg-White-Frittata-Recipe-35516365

I add fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions or leeks, basil, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, 1/2c of half and half (but note, I use 32oz of egg whites in mine, so...yeah, mine is way bigger and is good for two or three meals), 4oz of fresh mozzarella, to mine. I eat it with fresh whole wheat pita bread I make myself just right before serving.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    No expert by any means, but it's different for everyone depending on how active you are, etc.
    I have lost 47lbs and have been maintaining for a year now. I am lightly active at best and keep my carbs about 100, sugar 26, sodium 1500. Cutting carbs/ processed foods/ sodium was what worked for me. At first it was tough, but now, no big deal. Good luck on your journey !
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    7411433 wrote: »
    I am one of those that have lost the weight only to gain it all back. I could use some help with menu planning. Today, I have not used all my calories, but my carb and sugar count is over. Any help?

The whole idea with setting your own macro goals, is to help with adherence. Calories trump everything; start with setting the appropriate amount. 1% of your bodyweight per week as a rule of thumb, or
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Then prelog your food. You will want to have a good mixture of foods you like, and focusing on a variety of whole real foods, and home cooking, will make it easier to stick to your calorie goal, because you will feel full for a lower amount of calories. If you eat plenty of whole grains, fruit, low fat dairy and vegetables - as is commonly recommended by all official guidelines - your carbs and sugar numbers will automatically be high, even though you aren't eating too many calories. It's kind of a perverse incentive; the intention is to steer you away from added sugar - which by the way are no different than sugar in whole foods, but real foods have fibre, vitamins and minerals that counteract the effect of the sugar, and sugar is really just fuel, not poison - but the only people who know how much sugar they are eating, are those who are doing an effort to eat more healthily, and then they get scared and think they are eating wrong. Sigh. You are not the first, and not the last to be confused over this.
  • begole2016
    begole2016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ive read in a few places on MFP users should preload or log food in advance. Why is this beneficial?
  • begole2016
    begole2016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As far as meal planning, i find that sunday afternoons allow me time to cook, grill and prep veg that i wouldnt take time for duing the week. I chop lettuce and veg so ill eat it daily. And i cook multiple chicken breasts for various meals. While im not the best at making meal plans well in advance, having cooked beef and chicken on hand not only make week night meals quick, it often helps me make better choices. (Not temped to take-out, etc.)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    7411433 wrote: »

The whole idea with setting your own macro goals, is to help with adherence. Calories trump everything; start with setting the appropriate amount.
    This is great advice. Learning to properly manage your intake is the key to stopping that yoyo cycle. Focusing on hitting your calorie goal, learning the food that make that easier, and experimenting with different combinations will help you learn the macro ratios that best meet your needs.
    begole2016 wrote: »
    Ive read in a few places on MFP users should preload or log food in advance. Why is this beneficial?
    I find that pre-logging keeps me on track throughout the day and helps me avoid the mindless grazing. I also know in advance if I'm deficient in any areas before I've run out of calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Because when it's eaten, it's eaten :p You can remove/add or increase/decrease items to fit your calorie and macro goals, before you eat. It only works if you know what you are going to eat, of course, or at least partly. I don't track anymore, but when I did, I would log the day before what I was going to eat, and adjust the amounts when I prepared the meal (I would weigh and log the exact amount of, for instance, peeled potatoes, and I won't know how much they "yield" until I've peeled them).
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options

One of my personal terrors for dieting is the idea of being hungry. I pack my lunch every day, and I always add a couple of extra snacks. Since I've already measured them and logged them, I know with absolute confidence that if I want to, I can eat the whole lot of them without hampering my progress. I very rarely do that, but it's a security blanket.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    More lean meats and veggies.

Your carbs/sugars could be over because of lots of fruits and snackage.

We meal plan with a meat and a bag of steamed veggies for dinner. Pork chops and broccoli, baked chicken breast and mixed veggies, lemon pepper chicken breast and green beans... Leftover meats for salads...

One night we'll do spaghetti. Friday's are usually dining out.