how often do you eat junk food?

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All the time. Today I have had a big piece of chocolate, a mousse and later I am going to have pizza and donuts.

Tomorrow, something similar will be on the menu.

Yesterday, I made myself a burger, although it was a huge one...
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I know myself pretty well. If I don't eat "junk" food regularly, then one day I'm going to binge and eat the whole bag of chips or a bunch of sweets. I try to eat healthy throughout the day, but save some calories for when I'm sacking out on the couch in front of the TV (usually at 8-9pm) where I can eat "junk." So far so good, I've been on track since January.

Shannon
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i fit things like burgers and pizza into my calorie goals every couple of months. but i make room for smaller treats almost everyday. i make sure it is something i can stay on portion with. i cut things into portions. keep them in the freezer. every couple of weeks, i buy those little squares of cake from the supermarket and cut them into four, so i can have them all week. i have three slices in the freezer right now :) i make little rules about some treats to keep myself from over doing. for example, one of my fitness pals mentioned nutella brownies. i had never had nutella before, but the stuff sounded delicious. it fit into my calories, so i gave it a try. i immediately wanted to binge on the stuff. so i made some rules for it. i keep it in the back of the fridge. i can only eat it when it is soft. i can never eat it straight from the jar. and i only have one spoon. the back of the fridge and freezer are a good place for my daily treat items. since it is a bit of work to get to them, i don't consume them mindlessly. that is what i think is the problem with what you call "junk food". not consumption, but mindless consumption that can turn into binging. when i plan it i can usually make any food i want fit into my goals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have pizza once a week. I get Chinese takeout once a week. I have fast food once or twice a week. I eat either ice cream or cookies several times a week. I have chips or pretzels a couple of times a week. I have a soda or a beer every day. I have a square or two of dark chocolate almost every day.

I also eat 4-6 servings of fruit and veg daily, I get plenty of fiber and protein, and I am at goal but have decided to try to lose a few more lbs once the weather warms up.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can eat a well-balanced, nutrient-dense, calorie appropriate diet that includes "junk" food.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    that is what i think is the problem with what you call "junk food". not consumption, but mindless consumption that can turn into binging. when i plan it i can usually make any food i want fit into my goals.

This is a great point too.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i do not eat processed foods, greek yogurt is a treat!

Greek yogurt is absolutely processed. Blended, pasteurized, cultured, fruit or flavoring added (optional), all processes.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Daily. Chocolate, chips, McDonald's, whatever. I just budget for it.
  • BettyBaliol
    BettyBaliol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Having dieted at various times in my life I realise that cutting out snacks and treats just doesn't work for me. I stick it for a while then buckle! This time around I am having about 4 small (abt 100 cal) snacks during the course of the day as and when I feel the urge. I factor them all in to my diary in the morning then I don't even have to think about it. This has been the most successful and painless change in my diet I've ever made so far and really that's all been down to allowing myself wee snacks. I tend to have a multipack bag of crisps or something like that or a rocky bar. I also make up a big batch of home made Squares like the Kelloggs ones, which work out at about 70 calories and deal with my sweet craving! I suppose that really it comes down to the sort of diet/kick that you are on. I've done low sugar ones, low fat, low carb and so on but really just monitoring how much I'm eating seems to work best for me. :smile:
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Once a month I go pretty crazy. I have a little "something" almost every day. Usually a handful of chocolate chips :relaxed:

I had ice cream last night and woke up to a 1.6 pound loss. I'll take it!
  • K_deng
    K_deng Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well really you should not eat junk food at all but i mean who actually does that? lol! Just eat but control it. Count calories a little bit. Like for instance, cheetos have like 160 or 140 calories in 21 chips. So just eat 21. Ya know just watch out and try to balance and eat healthy food!!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't use the term "junk food". In the last few weeks I've been eating things like Girl Scout cookies, ice cream, chocolate, etc. every day. I just check it fits my calories. I'm eating at a deficit too. (Just realized this is in the Maintaining Weight forum.)

Next up are Cadbury creme eggs. (Which are some of the most divisive candies ever! People love 'em or hate 'em.) I have every intention of eating at least one a day through the end of April. Delicious.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is da bomb.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't attach negative labels to food, food is food and just has different nutritional profiles.

If I called my wife's homemade cakes or pies junk I would end up wearing them.......

LOL and agree.

Daily.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If we're talking burgers/fries, pizza type stuff once every two to three weeks.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have been off refined sugar for over 60 days now... just dropped 19 pounds and 15 inches.
    I plan on consuming a cheat meal once a week
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define junk food... but for me, that's stuff like Oreos, which I try not to keep in the house and only have once every couple of months.

Frozen pizza, OTOH, I have probably once a week. Lots of people would consider that junk.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I eat things like candy bars, pizza, frozen pre prepared dinners, etc, when I am invited to, as in, someone's house, or I am given things, like a cake, pie or a package of something as a gift, or invited out to a restaurant where diffrent things are served along with what other people ar eating at the occassion. Otherwise I really don't appreciate the flavour and so I prepare and eat fresh fruit, veg, cooked meats and fish, rice and pasta and bake my own breads. I do purchase cheeses, yogurt when I have to, but in some seasons we make our own cheeses and yogurt.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I eat M&Ms every day
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Never really it's not worth the chemicals and gmos going into my body.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I eat a very strict diet on weekdays, and whatever I want (within reason, usually) on weekends.