regular headaches....

Options
Since I started counting calories and exercising 2 weeks ago I keep getting headaches and often wake up with one in the morning. I'm drinking plenty of water so I don't think it's dehydration and i'm only drinking alcohol at the weekends so it can't be due to that......but it does feel like a hangover. It's not everyday I get them, but maybe 4 days out of 7. I'm doing 50 mins of cardio 4/5 times a week and eating 1500 cals on my gym days and 1200 on my non-gym days......anyone think the headaches could be related to my exercise or diet?? Getting a little worried about them.

Replies

• MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor, but it seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be related to your diet.

Have you given up caffeine ( coffee/ coke etc) or are you drinking a lot less of it - if so it may be withdrawal.

Hope it improves soon.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor, but it seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be related to your diet.

Have you given up caffeine ( coffee/ coke etc) or are you drinking a lot less of it - if so it may be withdrawal.

Hope it improves soon.

The same can happen with sugar / carb withdrawal. Hope you feel better soon and find the root of the problem!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you've given up starchy foods and processed, sugary foods, you are probably going through carbohydrate withdrawal. Withdrawing from simple carbohydrates is similar to getting off drugs. Your body gets addicted and revolts when you stop it.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of foods that can give headaches (peanut butter is one) but not really sure it all depends on how many mornings you wake up with them. I used to get headaches but only when exercising and it was do to doing the exercise incorrectly. If they are that frequent and really bother you I would see a doctor.
  • beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Did you used to drink alot of soda and no longer do? I am going thru this right now. I have had headaches for the last few days. I think I am so "addicted" to caffeine, that when I don't get it, it's like a withdrawal. I haven't had a soda in about 2 weeks, went to pretty much drinking water or flavored water.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Are you "scrunching" up your neck when you exercise, or letting your shoulders relax? WHen I started working out, I used to make that mistake, and got headaches too. Also, are you lifting weights or doing something that could be putting strain on your neck, causing a headache?
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners can also cause headaches. Sucralose (Splenda) does it to me but I can use Aspertame.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I no longer drink diet coke.....have switched to water instead so I guess that could be it.....I used to drink about a litre of it a day. I've also cut down on my tea intake to around two cups per day and I used to drink loads of the stuff lol. I'm eating little and often (5/6 times a day) so I definitely think I'm eating enough. I'll keep a record of which days I get headaches and what I eat that day and hopefully if it is caffeine withdrawal the headaches will pass soon...? I hope so cos it makes it harder for me to exercise when my head is pounding!! Thanks again :) x
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you "scrunching" up your neck when you exercise, or letting your shoulders relax? WHen I started working out, I used to make that mistake, and got headaches too. Also, are you lifting weights or doing something that could be putting strain on your neck, causing a headache?

I could be actually cos I noticed a bit of muscle pain in the back of my neck when i was running earlier....I'll try and improve my posture a bit in future...thanks :)
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As a migraine sufferer, when I began to lose weight I had a headache for 2-3 weeks. I I looked at the reason for this, I came to the conclusion that it was due to me pretty much halving my daily carb intake. I contacted my doctor, told him I had changed my diet, and he advised he to take painkillers for the headache, exercise gently and keep going, that the headache would soon fade... and it did.

He told me to do "gentle" exercise at first as my body was having to function on much less calories than it would previously have been used to, and that I should give it time to adjust. Once the headaches cleared I started exercising more and I haven't had much bother since.

One thing I will say is, headaches and migraines can sometimes be caused by low or high blood pressure and a low blood count. So I would advise you to get checked out by your doctor.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

I could be actually cos I noticed a bit of muscle pain in the back of my neck when i was running earlier....I'll try and improve my posture a bit in future...thanks :)

I got back into running and it's crazy how many muscles you use in your upper body. Try to keep your arms relaxed and swinging without scrunching and I bet you will feel alot better :smile:
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    Check with your doctor if it doesn't stop, but i would bet your body is detoxing. When we start messing with the foods and additives we eat on a daily basis, our body goes through many changes.
    I battled headaches when I first started my weight loss journey, they soon passed. I noticed if I didn't drink high caffiene drinks, I woud get a terrible headache. Now that I cut back on the caffiene, and I have overcome the headaches, it took two-three weeks, I feel alot better. Now I drink 2 cups in the morning and thats it. I drink 8=10 glasses of water a day and maybe 1 diet soda every other day or so.
    High sugar foods will give headaches as well. Chocolate really sets me off. (And I love chocolate) but I hate headaches, so I eat choco only once in a while.
    Salt intake can drive up blood pressure giving you a massive headache, watch for swelling in hands and feet, you might be eating too much salt. (I noticed when I started eating healthier, my salt intake went up. Why? because lowfat packaged food has more sodium.
    Food Allergies can cause headaches...watch your diet and see if you can target what might be triggering your headache...
    And if it doesn't stop, see the doctor....
    Good Luck on your weight loss journey!
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners can also cause headaches. Sucralose (Splenda) does it to me but I can use Aspertame.

I didn't know this...will keep a check on this and see if it does it to me. I have actually stopped using articial sweeteners, especially on my cereal...I learned I like the taste of food without sweetness..best thing I ever did!
  • tanyaelise
    tanyaelise Posts: 28
    Options
    I too get the morning headaches. They feel like dehydration headaches (or a hangover) but I drink water all day. So here's my theory on why I have the headaches... Carbs make ME retain water. Since I have cut down on the carbs and started drinking more water, about 2:00am I really (I mean really) have to go (No headache at this point). So when I wake up a 3-4 hours later I have to go again (I have a headache at this point). I figure the lack of carbs and the extra water are flushing my system. I have not cut out my coffee (I would whither away) But I noticed that my coffee headaches (when I do get them) usually come in the afternoon. I also don't add salt to anything. Maybe I should try that.
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Thanks guys, I no longer drink diet coke.....have switched to water instead so I guess that could be it.....I used to drink about a liter of it a day.

I'd say this is where it's at. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv, but diet coke is chemical city! If i even drink a diet soda I'll get a crazy migraine with aura (visual distortions) and a grip of other symptoms I'll not disturb you with. I went to a Dr and a neurologist and had MRI's (not a tumor) and the full work up. Seems I just don't play well with artificial sweeteners and other non-natural ingredients.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've read that consuming raw onions, can also cause headaches. I get headaches when I have a day off, and my boys still wake me up at 6am wanting to watch cartoons and eat breakfast. I guess everyone is different. Thank God I didn't get headaches when I cut my carbs, or sugars or eat Splenda, or onions. I quit drinking 9 years ago. I have an MFP friend who is suffering the same thing as well though. This is a great post. Hopefully she'll find it useful.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners gives me massive headaches. So if your intake of these have increased could be it!
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The last time I had the same problem I ended up having brain surgery.... however I would imagine it is some sort of caffeine or sugar withdrawal.
  • dlconcidine
    Options
    WOW, this is so enlightening. I wake up with a headache every morning and get them off and on at work but just chalked it up to allegies and staring at a computer all day. I have been trying to cut carbs too, I think I should look back on my food diary and see what I ate or didn't eat those days.

Thanks for the great discussion

Deanna - newbie to this site