Can't stop eating junk food

Options

Replies

• SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You could try making healthier versions of your junk food, for example sometimes I make pizza from cauliflower. and switching full sugar drinks for diet, then just slowly reduce the amounts of take out. Or sweet alternatives for snacks such as low calorie jelly, cherry tomatoes
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just stop buying it and never go grocery shopping when you're hungry. Every time you want sweets, have a piece of fresh fruit.

Replace sugar with sugar? That might be effective for younger people but not all advice applies to all. (I'm diabetic and fruit is one of the worst things I can eat unfortunately. Yes, I'm aware that diabetics are told to eat fruit!)

It's too bad that the majority of people here at MFP slam the notion that the quality of food matters, and constantly promote only "calories in, calories out" and "everything in moderation". Calories matter. sort of. But it's the food you choose that will either nourish you or leave you constantly craving more food to get the nutrients you are missing or create a roller coaster effect with blood sugar and hormones that regulate metabolism (including hunger).

I'm ok that people choose to eat lots of processed foods, to each their own, and when I was younger I could do that and push through with willpower on an extremely calorie restricted diet (could only stick to it for a couple months at most, and gained ever more back the older I got) but it drives me crazy that so many people jump on others who share relevant personal experience in response to people who aren't able to eat all the things in "moderation" or who have health problems that can be treated by changing the food consumed. It's not "one size fits all".

BTW: why make your "treats" food treats? Maybe pick something else non-food related? Maybe you don't need a restricted diet, so then, don't, but some of us do and this constant "treating" with food is not helpful. Impossible for me. Treats used to be something a person had a couple of times per year; now "treats" are something most people expect every day. (My food related "treat" is a night out at my favourite restaurant maybe three times per year, and they serve food that easily fits the way I need to eat to be well. It's expensive, I enjoy it, but I keep it as a true treat.)
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bleh, I had one of those days today. A family member sent me some candy for Easter and I ate a couple pieces. And then I ate a couple more pieces. And then I ate a couple more pieces. I'm so angry at myself for doing it, but I will forgive myself and move on. Most days I have a couple of Hershey's kisses with lunch and it satisfies the craving. Just make sure to log EVERYTHING, even if it's a bite, even on the worst days.

I'll be dancing my *kitten* off tonight.

One day, one meal, one bite at a time. Don't give up!
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    I'm good for two weeks at most eating healthy and then I give up . I eat so much sweet stuff and junk food and I'm back to square one again. Any suggestions for me ?

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Super helpful there, eldamiano.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just stop buying it and never go grocery shopping when you're hungry. Every time you want sweets, have a piece of fresh fruit.

Replace sugar with sugar? That might be effective for younger people but not all advice applies to all. (I'm diabetic and fruit is one of the worst things I can eat unfortunately. Yes, I'm aware that diabetics are told to eat fruit!)

It's too bad that the majority of people here at MFP slam the notion that the quality of food matters, and constantly promote only "calories in, calories out" and "everything in moderation". Calories matter. sort of. But it's the food you choose that will either nourish you or leave you constantly craving more food to get the nutrients you are missing or create a roller coaster effect with blood sugar and hormones that regulate metabolism (including hunger).

I'm ok that people choose to eat lots of processed foods, to each their own, and when I was younger I could do that and push through with willpower on an extremely calorie restricted diet (could only stick to it for a couple months at most, and gained ever more back the older I got) but it drives me crazy that so many people jump on others who share relevant personal experience in response to people who aren't able to eat all the things in "moderation" or who have health problems that can be treated by changing the food consumed. It's not "one size fits all".

Why do "calories in, calories out" and "everything in moderation" have to be mutually exclusive with the quality of food? I have never seen anyone here say that the quality of food doesn't matter. What I have seen people say, time and again, is that for weight loss, what matters is that a person is in a calorie deficit (indisputable) and that focusing on a diet of primarily nutrient dense foods with allowing room for treats in moderation is an approach that many find success with.

I eat a lot of processed foods but that doesn't mean that I'm on an extremely calorie restricted diet with success fueled only by extreme willpower, or that I don't focus on health and nutrition.

You have a medical situation that requires you to limit certain foods. Not everyone is in the same situation. The OP said nothing about a medical reason to restrict sugars. She said she is engaging in overly restrictive practices that she finds unsustainable and leads her to binge on sweets. People are offering moderation as an approach to help manage those drastic swings. No one jumped on anyone who is unable to eat all foods in moderation. Not everyone is able to be successful with moderation, but it's pretty clear from the subsequent posts from OP, that she hadn't even tried that approach...

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rnelson88 wrote: »
    Eat so much junk food at one time that it makes you feel like you're going to puke. Then keep eating. That's the only way I could stop eating it. I used to love reese cups until I ate a whole BJ's size bag at once and threw up. Now I can only stand to eat one once in a blue moon. I feel your pain!

Lol yep this definitely works but some of us less disciplined folk move onto other types of junk food haha
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My only advice is just don't bring it in the house. My kryptonite is cereal, if there is a box in the kitchen I will devour it, whether I'm stuffed full of other food or not. So I just don't buy it anymore.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    This article has many helpful tips...
    http://www.niashanks.com/9-fat-loss-mistakes/
  • ericmt87
    ericmt87 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The idea behind IIFYM (if it fits your macros) is that you can eat anything you want as long as you're in a deficit. Sounds great right? What a lot of people forget is that if you eat mostly junk food, you won't get much in the way of nutritional value. You probably binge because you're hungry or because you're stressed. Most likely because you're hungry. If that's the case google foods that keep you full (lean meats, potatoes, oatmeal, veggies, things with fiber, etc.). The goal is to make it so you you don't get past the point of no return. This is why eating clean and having a little junk on the side makes the most sense. It's all about BALANCE. You stay full and at the same time you get to satisfy any cravings. Just stay to your caloric deficit. I eat half a pint of ice cream every night and I'm getting pretty lean.

If you think it's mostly emotional eating, you need to find out what's stressing you out and find better ways to deal with it rather than food. If it were as easy as people saying, "Just do it!" "Mind over matter!" etc. then everyone would be in shape. Get to the root of the problem. Find out what's stressing you out and google healthy ways to deal with that problem until it becomes a habit. For me working out relieves a lot of stress. Going for walks helps too. Replace your sedentary habits with healthy ones and you will be able to deal with your stress better.

I've gone from around 220ish down to 150 doing this. I'm back up to 175 after a year of falling off the wagon (in a relationship now, ate bad for half a year with her). I kept most of it off but I'm loving eating healthy again and re-learning how to do this while in a relationship has been challenging but I've got it now. Good luck.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I try to curb junk food eating by making sure it's not in the house. I also allow myself a cheat day once a week, but stay within maintenance limits, and that seems to help. Many people disagree with cheat days, but if it works for you, who cares what they think.
    Have you tried taking a look at what's going on when you binge on junk food? Are you stressed, bored... Perhaps if you can find some kind of connection as to when and why that's happening, you probably would be better able to defeat it. Good luck!
  • martinasloyan379
    martinasloyan379 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Excellent article!!!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Excellent article!!!!!

I particularly like #3, dismissing the basics. When in doubt, always default to the basics. You will never go wrong...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ericmt87 wrote: »
    The idea behind IIFYM (if it fits your macros) is that you can eat anything you want as long as you're in a deficit. Sounds great right? What a lot of people forget is that if you eat mostly junk food, you won't get much in the way of nutritional value. You probably binge because you're hungry or because you're stressed. Most likely because you're hungry. If that's the case google foods that keep you full (lean meats, potatoes, oatmeal, veggies, things with fiber, etc.). The goal is to make it so you you don't get past the point of no return. This is why eating clean and having a little junk on the side makes the most sense. It's all about BALANCE. You stay full and at the same time you get to satisfy any cravings. Just stay to your caloric deficit. I eat half a pint of ice cream every night and I'm getting pretty lean.

If you think it's mostly emotional eating, you need to find out what's stressing you out and find better ways to deal with it rather than food. If it were as easy as people saying, "Just do it!" "Mind over matter!" etc. then everyone would be in shape. Get to the root of the problem. Find out what's stressing you out and google healthy ways to deal with that problem until it becomes a habit. For me working out relieves a lot of stress. Going for walks helps too. Replace your sedentary habits with healthy ones and you will be able to deal with your stress better.

I've gone from around 220ish down to 150 doing this. I'm back up to 175 after a year of falling off the wagon (in a relationship now, ate bad for half a year with her). I kept most of it off but I'm loving eating healthy again and re-learning how to do this while in a relationship has been challenging but I've got it now. Good luck.

No. IIFYM is 'if it fits your macros/micros'. You get to eat whatever you want so long as you hit your macros and micros and are in a deficit. You're going to find it basically impossible if all you eat is 'junk' food* and no one advocating IIFYM suggests that you try to accomplish it.

* where junk food is defined as food that is not nutrient dense
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ericmt87 wrote: »

And this is why IIFYM has a bad name... because people don't know what it is and spread false information.

I don't get it though, what's so hard to understand, when 'macro' is in the name? Obviously though you have to be smart about it and use reasonable macros... but if you go to IIFYM, it will give you reasonable macros.

In the end though, you can't fault the tool if people make horrible choices and end up hungry. I mean, today for example, it's 2pm, I had lunch, and after logging my burger for tonight (just the meat), I will still have 450 calories left and I'll already have met my protein and fat goals... if I decide to blow 400 calories on ice cream instead of having something more filling, and I end up starving, it will be my own fault... can't blame the tool for my idiocy, you know?

So yeah... common sense.
  • K_deng
    K_deng Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well - it's tough. the American "food" industry makes TRILLIONS of dollars selling junk food - and they've hired giant teams of psychologists to get you to eat it. It makes them so much money.

The trick is to get off the carbs and sugars - and when you do, your cravings for carbs drops way down. It's just a chemistry thing - but it makes such a difference. This is the Atkins diet - and you can get his book off of Amazon - or it's in the library - "New Diet Revolution".

It's great to eat actual food. Actual food actually feeds you - you can make body parts out of it. It's good fats and proteins. you get a little salad too on Atkins, but if you have a lot of weight to lose, you don't get much salad either. If you don't have a lot of weight to lose, he has a slightly different diet for you.

Anyway - it's a great diet - very healthy - good for blood pressure and cholesterol numbers. I've been doing it for the past 10 years. And if you actually do quit eating the carbs and the junk - just for a few days - you'll find that your body chemistry changes and you won't need them as much. So you don't need as much willpower to stay away from them.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Eat it in moderation and log it. Plan for cravings. If there are certain foods that you simply cannot stay away from and continually overeat (trigger foods), don't buy them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Love this!!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't know, for me it's easiest to just stop it before it starts. Lately I'm finding that I can even be around junk food without it bothering me just as long as I don't take that first bite. I have look at it like a non-food object that's just sitting there. But, it makes sense to me that some people find their diet to be more sustainable if they can have their treats in moderation. I just don't think I'm a moderation kind of person. I say, try different approaches and see what works for you.
  • Eckolynn2016
    Eckolynn2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    I'm good for two weeks at most eating healthy and then I give up . I eat so much sweet stuff and junk food and I'm back to square one again. Any suggestions for me ?

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Clearly it's hard for her and she is asking for help not smart mouth Comments
  • blackflaggirl
    blackflaggirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://jamesclear.com/junk-food-science

Is a pretty good article on why we go after junk food and binge eat it also and it might help with the emotional eating you talked about.

Great post. thank you!