Maintaining soon

Options
So I am at 149.6, my goal to eat at maintenance is 142. I am going on vacation for 5 days in may. With so many good eating places around how do you maintain?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Same way you lost. Keep track.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Same way you lost. Keep track.

Yeah but if you go to a place that doesn't list calories on the menu
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When I go on vacation it's usually for a week. For a week, I'm on diet vacation, too. I mean, I don't eat at the buffet, and I don't have three desserts and a bottle of wine every day, but just use regular judgment. I'm usually more active on vacations, too. At the worst I might weight a pound or two more when I get back, but it never sticks around.

I want to enjoy my vacation, not spend it stressing out over not calorie-counting. I'm sure you've learned a thing or two about approximately how much food a day you need.

I hope you have fun. :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Watch your portion size and enjoy the vacation. You can probably tell by now when you go over your calories. And-3500 kcal= 1 pound so keep that in mind when you over indulge. Have fun!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's not hard. Guestimate to the best of your ability. As fiddletime said, watch your portion size. Have fun. Do lots of walking. I travel a lot and MY advice is to eat the house specialty first in a reasonable portion size. It is probably delicious and has a ton of calories. Then fill up with veg and soup and skip the bread. Drink water or things you like with alcohol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    If I want to stay on track while eating at places that don't publicize calories, I eyeball my portions, then look in the MFP data base & pick a similar dish, then use my estimated portion size for it. I'm cautious about the database, picking entries on the higher end of the similar ones, rather than lowballing everything.

Frankly, for a vacation, I'd probably plan to be more relaxed, and not worry about staying within my calorie goal . . . but at this point, I'd still estimate & log. If I gained, I'd just go into deficit and lose it again. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Vacations are to be enjoyed not feared - ditto eating out at nice places.
    It's not compulsory to count calories for life or even 52 weeks a year. Counting is just one of the tools you have - making suitable food choices and portion control skills don't leave you.

A bit of "guesstimating" for a few days isn't really that significant.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If I want to stay on track while eating at places that don't publicize calories, I eyeball my portions, then look in the MFP data base & pick a similar dish, then use my estimated portion size for it.
    this :)
    enjoy your vacation:-)