Artificial Sweeteners - How much am I really having?

Options
JHALLISGETTINGsmall
JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I drink coffee with splenda every day
I have like light yogurt, peaches with splenda, sugar free jelly - with lunch
I drink water all day at work with those no calorie flavorings - like grape sugar free
Sometimes I have sugar free syrup with waffles or even a sugar free snow cone.
Then I typically will have a diet coke with dinner and even a low cal fudge pop after that.

I mean how much artificial sweetener should I have?

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different opinions on artificial sweeteners.

I personally avoid all of them.
    I don't like the aftertaste, they bloat me and make me crave more sugar.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I drink water all day at work with those no calorie flavorings - like grape sugar free
    Then I typically will have a diet coke with dinner and even a low cal fudge pop after that.

As much as you'd like?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

As much as you'd like?

This^^^

There is no real evidence out there to show negative affects from normal daily consumption such as yours. If it's working for you, just keep doing what you're doing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love plain old water.
    Love saving money.
    And if I drink one, the next day I get cravings for sugar for some reason. Strange.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different opinions on artificial sweeteners.

I personally avoid all of them.
    I don't like the aftertaste, they bloat me and make me crave more sugar.

Yep.
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to use a lot of artificial sweeteners but then out of the blue they started making me nauseous and giving me terrible headaches so now I avoid them!
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There are many widely varying opinions on artificial sweeteners - from them being completely harmless (doubt it) to the most detrimental thing you can eat (also doubt it). I am of the opinion that artificial sweeteners probably aren't good for you, but neither is diabetes. If you absolutely cannot get your sweet tooth under control, better this than pounds of sugar (again, my opinion).

HOWEVER, I'm also of the opinion that artificial sweeteners are highly addictive and require a detox. For example, I read in a book once about a Naturopathic Doctor who was treating a patient who was so addicted to artificial sweeteners, her body wouldn't accept water to satiate thirst. No matter how much water she drank, her body would throw out thirst signals until she drank something sweet. I had that exact same issue. I had to stop the Crystal Light, Mio, pop, etc and drink only water for a whole week before I got it under control. Now I have a diet pop most nights, but that is after I've spent the day drinking only water, black coffee, or occasionally tea with real honey.

No more "sugar free" anything (except the pop) and now I find I can control my sweet tooth much more.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have splenda and artificial sweeteners everyday and for many years. Lots of scaremongering out there.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am betting you are consuming a variety of artificial sweeteners. Aspartame goes well with drinks, Splenda is another, and check the packaging on your light yogurt, jello, and evening ice cream.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yup, drink artificial sweeteners daily, no issues. And no, I don't really crave sugar, either, if anything I like sugary drinks much less because now they taste too sweet for me. I don't like the aftertaste of aspartame much (although I tolerate it) so I make my own soda mix with acesulfame potassium and sucralose.

They are some of the most widely studied chemicals on the planet. There's far more evidence for their safety than for most of the natural ingredients in our food supplies.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Been drinking diet pop since since the 70's.....started with Tab in the 70's . I am fine.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There are many widely varying opinions on artificial sweeteners - from them being completely harmless (doubt it) to the most detrimental thing you can eat (also doubt it). I am of the opinion that artificial sweeteners probably aren't good for you, but neither is diabetes. If you absolutely cannot get your sweet tooth under control, better this than pounds of sugar (again, my opinion).

HOWEVER, I'm also of the opinion that artificial sweeteners are highly addictive and require a detox. For example, I read in a book once about a Naturopathic Doctor who was treating a patient who was so addicted to artificial sweeteners, her body wouldn't accept water to satiate thirst. No matter how much water she drank, her body would throw out thirst signals until she drank something sweet. I had that exact same issue. I had to stop the Crystal Light, Mio, pop, etc and drink only water for a whole week before I got it under control. Now I have a diet pop most nights, but that is after I've spent the day drinking only water, black coffee, or occasionally tea with real honey.

No more "sugar free" anything (except the pop) and now I find I can control my sweet tooth much more.

Fortunately, opinions and books by naturopaths don't mean crap, the facts do.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

Those artificial sweeteners have been researched to hell and back, more than any other thing that gets put into your food.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You were doing so well until this statement. No. Detox is nonsense.
  • mamaChristine
    mamaChristine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    And in case the recently released study saying they cause cancer is causing you concern, here is an article that explains why it was a bad study.

http://www.foodinsight.org/splenda-sucralose-ramazzini-soffritti-safety-cancer-study
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    And in case the recently released study saying they cause cancer is causing you concern, here is an article that explains why it was a bad study.

http://www.foodinsight.org/splenda-sucralose-ramazzini-soffritti-safety-cancer-study

Thanks for this. This is exactly what got me thinking about this. I saw the recent news release about the article. Since then, been feeling guilty every time I put splenda in something. Thanks so much!
  • mamaChristine
    mamaChristine Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. This is exactly what got me thinking about this. I saw the recent news release about the article. Since then, been feeling guilty every time I put splenda in something. Thanks so much!

Glad it was helpful! I hate articles that used skewed results.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options

I was quite clear - it was an opinion based on personal experience. Everything I said, as written, is correct. Nowhere did I state this was scientific fact.

That being said, detox is not nonsense. Addicts everywhere will support that statement. If you feel only detoxing from sugar is nonsense, anyone who has experienced "carb flu" also knows it is very real.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I was quite clear - it was an opinion based on personal experience. Everything I said, as written, is correct. Nowhere did I state this was scientific fact.

That being said, detox is not nonsense. Addicts everywhere will support that statement. If you feel only detoxing from sugar is nonsense, anyone who has experienced "carb flu" also knows it is very real.

Carb flu is not a detox. And what you wrote is only correct to the point of it being your opinion. Unfortunately for you, your opinion is factually wrong.
  • stevencloser
    Options

How does that institute even still stay open and publishing if it is widely known to be completely wrong on all accounts?
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options

That being said, detox is still nonsense:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/detox-what-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

Even if addicts everywhere did support your statement, which i doubt, and even if someone experienced carb flu, it doesn't prove, by any stretch of the imagination, that detox is anything but a scam.