Options
Davidziki
Davidziki Posts: 8 Member
protein and supplements?

Replies

• faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just visiting your neighborhood GNC and talk to them about your goals so they can hook you up with the right ones for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I get mine from both Muscle and Strength or Bodybuiding.com. They are both excellent and fast. Prices are comparable to each other and in most cases less than other online stores for the brand I use.

I am not into the GNC stores at all for protein, amino acids or anything like this. They may have excellent other stuff but not my go to for protein.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just visiting your neighborhood GNC and talk to them about your goals so they can hook you up with the right ones for you.

Worse advise ever. Dont listen to anything they have to say.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Why? I don't mean to sound contentious or argumentative. I've never lived near enough to a GNC to shop there so I don't really know anything about them and I'm a little curious about why you say this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Why? I don't mean to sound contentious or argumentative. I've never lived near enough to a GNC to shop there so I don't really know anything about them and I'm a little curious about why you say this.

Because they like to sell you stuff that you do not need. It's about the money.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com and fitnessfirstusa.com

Both have amazingly fast shipping, ship overseas to military zones, and have their own deals that go on.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    +1 on not going into GNC.

You know that thread going about silliest diet myths? You'll be able to hear like 80% of them by talking to a GNC salesperson. Stuff about toxins and muscle turning into fat if you don't buy their supplements, and being able to eat all the calories you want and lose five pounds of fat per week of you do. They have all these vague statements like "this protein is clean - the cleanest one on the market," and when pushed to explain what that means, they come up with nonsense like "uh, the oils separate and you can see them in the glass." wtf does that mean?

The *kitten* they have given me literally makes my mouth drop open. Plus they can get really argumentative and aggressive with their sales pitches if you don't want to buy all their *kitten*.

I used to go in there just for the Colon Pure, but I dislike them so much I just went with a different (less effective) brand for a fiber supplement.

I personally just go on Amazon. Cheaper and you have reviews. I'm not a huge fan of the protein powders, but I like them after a strength building workout. I like the Isopure Naturals.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    lol MFP censored my bad words!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy special stuff for weight loss other than foods you like :)

If you want to talk to a human, I had good luck at Vitamin Shoppe asking for some advice.

But really you could just look on, say, amazon.com for stuff that sounds good/has good reviews and order it. I have a tub of EAS whey protein that I haven't quite finished off. Didn't need it, but it was nice to have last year as I would make a chocolate protein shake/smoothie to satisfy my sweet tooth :)

~Lyssa
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like to research at bodybuilding.com. I have purchased from the local Vitamin Shoppe, but sometimes they can be pricy. Some of their staff was really knowledgeable and other were not. I would assume that is the case with just about any store you go into. GNC is a bit high too and there is no doubt the person behind the counter is trying to make a sale. I also like to visit a pair of health food stores in town, but they have really marked up their products. A supplement selling on Amazon $13 but selling in the store for $34 or $44 products selling for $79 in store. Heck, I can get almond milk at Publix or Walmart for $3 a gallon and the health food stores sell a half gallon for $5. The old mantra hold true when purchasing anything, "Let the buyer beware."

My last protein purchase was actually at Costco with a price point akin to bodybuilding.com. However, if I plan on buying a slew of products then usually bodybuilding.com has the best deals.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Amazon.com