Struggling to consume enough calories

Options
I'm struggling to consume enough calories as advised by MFP. On days when I go to my karate training it allows me 1200+ extra calories and so consequently I end up being under in recommended intake by about 700 calories. And its worse still on a Friday night when I have a 2 hour training session, because it gives me an additional 2000 calories.

Ironically, not eating enough is something I never thought I would have an issue with, however I'm starting to really struggle with this and could use some advise on ways to beat it because I've been at a plateau which I was told was due to not consuming enough calories.

I don't want to fill up on empty calories, and quite frankly I just don't feel hungry...for example yesterday was a 90 minute training day and my food intake was 753 cals under... and that was forcing myself to eat dinner even though I didn't want to....

Breakfast - coffee, toast, marmite
Lunch - tortilla wrap with salad, chicken slices, mayo, petit filous
Dinner - tortellini, tomato based sauce, quorn sausages, petit filous
Snacks - 2 bananas, snack-a-jacks, hot chocolate

Replies

• freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't kill yourself over it. Just exercise, eat healthy nutritious food, eat when you are hungry and stop before you are overfull, drink plenty of water and you should do well.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    log the exerise in the morning and spread the calories though out the day , also if you have a bigger breakfast it will get your metabolic rate going!

Here is why you should eat your exersise calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I credit not eating enough as one of the reasons I'm overweight. My days used to go along the lines of no breakfast, handful of crackers at 11 or so, then lunch at 3 which was usually a salad, little or no dinner, and then a bowl of chips at night because after making food for my family I didn't want to cook for me. Oh let's not forget the pepsi, because that used to be my biggest addiction. I was eating enough calories in a day, and never consistantly.

I struggle some days now, like yesterday, to actually eat my full amount of calories, and honestly most days I'm around the 1000 calorie mark. I would say, and I'm no expert, but find something that you love to eat and find the healthy alternative. For me I love crackers and cheese and even if I'm not hungry you can convince me to eat them. So I got lower fat crackers, and laughing cow, and have that for a snack.

I wish I had somethng better to tell you but I'm figuring this out myself. Just know you're not alone jamming down those sandwiches or whatever lol
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issue.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you could add nuts (almonds, walnuts) or celery and some peanut butter. good for you (with the correct portions, serving size) and add quite a bit of calories. your body probably needs the calories (protein) from all that working out!!!!!!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Typically the easiest two ways to beat this are to just eat more things that pack a (healthy) big calorie punch like almonds, peanut butter, greek yogurt, etc. ~ Or cut back on the workouts some. Most people opt for a little of both... eat a little more and work out a little less until it balances out. You need to at least make sure you're netting 1200 or a little above. If you keep going the way you're going you could possibly start gaining again... and I'm sure you don't want that...
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Don't kill yourself over it. Just exercise, eat healthy nutritious food, eat when you are hungry and stop before you are overfull, drink plenty of water and you should do well.

i have just looked at your diary you barley eat 1000 in a day, you really do risk your health constantly under eating , you would not go on a long car journey with hardly any fuel ! please try and eat more for YOUR HEALTH SAKE.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Add a piece of fruit to each meal and plan ahead for the days activities.

Would it kill you to add a banana at breakfast, and apple at lunch etc?

Each piece of fruit is likely around 100 calories and packed with nutritional eating. By adding fruit you increase your calorie intake and your vitamin intake.

Also you really should try to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Eating below that level decreases the likelyhood of meeting all of your nutritional requirements (i.e. vitamins, minerals, essential oils, calories, carbs etc..) When you eat below this level people often miss out on these and start to suffer from vitamin deficiencies etc.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Add a piece of fruit to each meal and plan ahead for the days activities.

Would it kill you to add a banana at breakfast, and apple at lunch etc?

Each piece of fruit is likely around 100 calories and packed with nutritional eating. By adding fruit you increase your calorie intake and your vitamin intake.

Also you really should try to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Eating below that level decreases the likelyhood of meeting all of your nutritional requirements (i.e. vitamins, minerals, essential oils, calories, carbs etc..) When you eat below this level people often miss out on these and start to suffer from vitamin deficiencies etc.

Thats a really good plan..THANKS for sharing!
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I find that the calories given to us for exercising can be excessive. I use the calorie count on my stationary bike as they recommend. I eat half of what they allow. It works. I keep losing weight and do not feel over full.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your calorie burn with a HRM? Since I got mine I have been amazed (and depressed) how few calories I actually burn. I find it hard to believe you can really burn 1200 cals in an hour karate lesson, unless you are a 200lb, 6'4" man.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    you could add nuts (almonds, walnuts) or celery and some peanut butter. good for you (with the correct portions, serving size) and add quite a bit of calories. your body probably needs the calories (protein) from all that working out!!!!!!

Actually for something like karate, which is mostly cardio, it's carbs you need, not protein.
  • clay1976
    clay1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HOW ABOUT SOME1) APPLE WITH PEANUT BUTTER,2) PROTIN SHAKE( MY FAVORITE IS: WHEY CHOCOLATE PROTEIN POWDER AND SOME FROZEN STRAWBERRYS WITH HALF OF FROZEN BANANA AND SOME WATER , YOU DON'T NEED ICE) , 3) SALMON BURGER WITH ARNOLDS THIN BREAD WITH SOME LETTUCE OR IF YOU WANT TO GO FANCY PUT SOME BROIELD RED PEPPERS INSIDE.( CUT THE SIDES OF RED PEPPERS AND WITHOUT OIL BUT THEM IN THE OVEN , BROIL, WHEN THE SKIN GET DARK TAKE THEM OUT) , 4) RED PEPPERS AGAIN WTH SOME SLICED AVOCADO AND SLICE OF TURKEY OR A PICE OF CHICKEN BREAST WITH WHOLE GRAIN BREAD AND A LITTLE MAYO IF YOU WANT ,5) BUY SOME HUMMUS, OR I MAKE IT MYSELF ,MORE HEALTHY( IN A BLENDER MIX GARBANZO BEANS/ CHICKPEAS , LEMON JUICE , GROUND CUMIN, LEAVE IT LIKE THIS PLAIN OR IF YOU WANT TO BE CREATIVE ADD SOME RED PEPERS ,OR SUN DRIED TOMATOS OR AVOCADO WITH SOME TUNA FISH, AND OF COURSE SALT. ( DONT FORGET IF IT IS TO THICK JUST ADD SOME LEMON JUICE OR WATER) . JUST VERY FEW OF MY IDEAS. I HOPE ONE OF THEM HELPS YOU.
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you - these are all GREAT ideas! I will work on adding a piece of fruit to each meal. I do have to be careful with nuts as I do have some nut allergies, but I've found soybeans are a good alternative to nuts, I'll make sure I always have a handful of these available. I typically manage between 1500-1700 calories relatively well on an average day, but anything over that I struggle with. I'm going to try and cut down on caffeine, I've already significantly reduced it, but I notice that it is an appetite suppressant, maybe that will help.

I really appreciate everyone's help and support.. thanks! Please feel free to add me as a friend.