Options
13»

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I'm happy for that one chick who's been successful since coming off of the pills but how do people know there aren't going to be any heart issues down the line? The thought of that terrifies me enough to keep me away! And my favorite- if it worked so well why are there so many overweight people still?

For me the risks of not losing weight outweigh the risks of taking the medicine. I think it's a personal decision based on what's going on with you and what your PCP believes will help.

I'll take my chances with being fat then of having my heart blow out a valve, thank you. I have a friend that almost died from amphetamine abuse and now has a pig valve.
  • Kayy_Whitson
    Kayy_Whitson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm happy for that one chick who's been successful since coming off of the pills but how do people know there aren't going to be any heart issues down the line? The thought of that terrifies me enough to keep me away! And my favorite- if it worked so well why are there so many overweight people still?

For me the risks of not losing weight outweigh the risks of taking the medicine. I think it's a personal decision based on what's going on with you and what your PCP believes will help.

I'll take my chances with being fat then of having my heart blow out a valve, thank you. I have a friend that almost died from amphetamine abuse and now has a pig valve.

It's only abuse if you take more than prescribed. And if you're morbidly obese, there's a risk of diabetes, heart problems, high bp, acid reflux disease, joint pain, asthma, etc. Obesity is a major problem & if taking a Dr prescribed weight loss pill for 2 months to help then it's worth it to me.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

It's only abuse if you take more than prescribed. And if you're morbidly obese, there's a risk of diabetes, heart problems, high bp, acid reflux disease, joint pain, asthma, etc. Obesity is a major problem & if taking a Dr prescribed weight loss pill for 2 months to help then it's worth it to me.

Yes but that can be reversed if you work hard enough. Heart damage cannot be reversed.
  • Kayy_Whitson
    Kayy_Whitson Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Yes but that can be reversed if you work hard enough. Heart damage cannot be reversed.

Exactly. There's risk involved in heart disease from obesity also. And more people with obesity die of heart attacks due to overstreneous activity due to the extra weight or blocked valves than taking this medication. I know there are risks with the medication, but like I said the temporary option is better than not losing weight. I've tried losing weight and have had trouble even with counting calories, etc. Like I said I'm a nursing student and have done research, talked to my nursing instructor and also my PCP before I made the decision. Everyone has different things that work for them.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options

That's pretty much my reasoning. It's not a decision I took lightly. I'm sure you didn't take it lightly either. I think it's really up to each person to decide what is the right route to take for them. My journey has led me to this and I'm ok with the risks I'm taking.

• burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I took phen a couple years back, and I didn't lose, but i had undiagnosed hashimotos, lupus, sjogrens. I loved that it made me feel human again! I am a nurse, i don't take meds lightly, I also am a hippy mama of 5 and had home births, so I am all about all natural. But I was desperate, fatigued and just sick.

I am for whatever works for somebody, who are we to judge? That boost it gave me to get up and brush my teeth, get moving and to function, is priceless, I am so grateful it gave me hope, and i remembered how i felt before i got sick! It made me fight to get AI handled and fight to get better.

I am currently going to start again. Just for 2 months. I am on a AI paleo diet, I eat Organic, non processed foods, i eat 1400-1600 calories, I keep my blood sugar steady, I eat good food. I wear my fitbit and get my 10,000 a day. I am functioning. But i have not lost more than 3 lbs in 5 months of Logging, weighing food, and moving when I can extra. Sometimes i cant do extra. I still get so fatigued due to AI. Extra weight causes inflamation in the body, fat is toxic and over taxing to our bodies as well. So I am going to start again, get moving, and get out of this 180 lb body, thanks to thyroid.

I might make my own detergents, shampoos, and grow my own food and be all homesteader, no chemicals, but I will do this again. I dont care if some people think thats hypocritical. When i had my 5th daughter i was overweight for a time, and felt sick sick sick. The extra weight, depressed, joint pain etc. When I got back to a healthy weight, I felt so much better, i was lighter and free. I just want to go on for a time, and push past this plateau.

So you go girl, if its right for you for a time then do it! If not, well you fill find out. Dont we all have to try things once or twice and get burned to realize its not for us? If you use it as a tool (maybe not the best one, but hey it does work) and you are under supervision, and you take mind to eat healthy and start good habits, then go for it.

But Nursing school is very tough on adrenals as it is, and raises stress, which raises cortisol, so this extra "fight or flight" response phen creates might not produce the results you want. But good luck sista!
  • RoyatheDestroyah
    RoyatheDestroyah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Kayy_Whitson Omg. I was excited about your discussion topic and that you have lost 3 pounds, and all I have read so far in response are negative horror stories.

You sounded excited and open to hear more ideas and suggestions. This shouldn't be an attack on your decisions, but just clear, non-judgemental, direct replies to the question you are asking.

Thank you for sharing. I, too, am on phentermine and guided by a doctor. And although it's not my first choice, (I majored in holistic health) life brings interesting obstacles and challenges and you do your best to overcome them. Period.

I'm 2 weeks in and I already feel my body in circulation mode again. I now sweat when I work out and I want to work out more. It just feels good. I also watch my calories (1200) and do my best with putting them in the app. I don't berate myself if I don't add the oil (to the app) to the eggs I cooked with. I don't think adding guilt and shame is a positive tool for weight loss and becoming obsessed about every little calorie doesn't make for a life of ease, balance and moderation (or am I being judgmental?).

I look forward to hearing about your progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the informative replies, I should've been clearer. I have had trouble losing weight even on a diet and have been working on my proportions and healthy lifestyle for a month before I started the pills. They are to help me start losing weight since I'm having trouble losing weight on my own since I am practically healthy. I'm currently a nursing student and have studied the drug and nutrition excessively before I decided to take it. I am just looking for ideas on tips to help jump start the weightloss. :)
    If you weren't losing weight before phentermine, then it was because you were consuming too many calories than you needed. All phentermine is doing is artificially subduing your appetite. So when do you stop? Many will say "when I get to goal". Then what? You didn't learn how to control appetite naturally so now over consumption resumes. Then you're discouraged and......................go back to phentermine.
    If you truly are a nursing student, you should know that it basically boils down to CICO for weight loss/gain/maintenance. Relying on a drug to help you because you may lack discipline won't teach you have to change habitual behavior.
    And I've gone through this with several clients. Personally I've told them if they didn't stop, they should look to another trainer for help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    @Kayy_Whitson Omg. I was excited about your discussion topic and that you have lost 3 pounds, and all I have read so far in response are negative horror stories.

You sounded excited and open to hear more ideas and suggestions. This shouldn't be an attack on your decisions, but just clear, non-judgemental, direct replies to the question you are asking.

Thank you for sharing. I, too, am on phentermine and guided by a doctor. And although it's not my first choice, (I majored in holistic health) life brings interesting obstacles and challenges and you do your best to overcome them. Period.

I'm 2 weeks in and I already feel my body in circulation mode again. I now sweat when I work out and I want to work out more. It just feels good. I also watch my calories (1200) and do my best with putting them in the app. I don't berate myself if I don't add the oil (to the app) to the eggs I cooked with. I don't think adding guilt and shame is a positive tool for weight loss and becoming obsessed about every little calorie doesn't make for a life of ease, balance and moderation (or am I being judgmental?).

I look forward to hearing about your progress.
    Odd..........majored in "Holistic" health and takes a drug to lose weight. What, no herbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    SciranBG wrote: »
    Hmmm... I wasn't familiar with this drug so after a quick google search it appears to be a controlled prescription needed substance. Are all these people saying not to take it and that it doesn't work going against the advice of OP's doctor then?

Just because a doctor suggests a medication doesn't mean it's in a person's best interest to take it. I feel like s a society, we have become reliant/dependent on medications. OP's doctor can't say how OP is going to respond to it. I recently had a patient at the hospital I work at come in with increased paranoia and hallucinations secondary to taking this medication. Her doctor thought it would be helpful for her, but it wasn't.

Best of luck OP. I hope it helps you
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There is a massive stigma about using pharmaceuticals to lose weight.

It's something that a lot of people find embarrassing to talk about - choosing to use a prescription medication to lose weight.

This is what I suggest - read the clinical trials that were done on phentermine. Look at the results obtained, the percentage of people who reported having adverse effects, and see how this applies to you. There's also a few studies on the combination of phentermine and topiramate.

For some reason, people with horror stories flood the message boards... but people who used it, lost the weight, and kept it off, are quiet. In my opinion, I think it would be a useful tool for many people. I also think it needs to be partnered up with diet and exercise and other types of support.

It's short term. It's a tool. After 12 weeks of use (the maximum it should be taken)... it will fall to you, and only you, to maintain a healthy life style.

Your body - your choice. You do not need to defend your choices to a bunch of strangers - most of whom will only repeat rhetoric from blog posts and other anecdotes.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    My biggest tip with these pills are to not buy them. The only weight you lose is in your wallet.

sorry, not true.

phentermine is a clinically proven drug to assist in weight loss. It's an amphetamine.

My advice? Listen to your body. Take this time to get in the habit of tracking your food and making healthy habits which you intend to maintain after your run with phentermine is over.

MANY many many people regain weight after quitting phentermine. So taking this time to learn these skills is incredibly important.

Also, if you have heart palpitations, sweats, dizziness, nausea, etc. please speak to your physician. Phentermine is a very serious drug, and in my opinion should only be taken by those who absolutely need it.

Oh, I'm sure that while taking it, you'll lose tons of weight.

And then, once you stop taking it, you'll likely put all that weight back on.

In the end: You just lost weight in your wallet, and that's it.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Exactly. There's risk involved in heart disease from obesity also. And more people with obesity die of heart attacks due to overstreneous activity due to the extra weight or blocked valves than taking this medication. I know there are risks with the medication, but like I said the temporary option is better than not losing weight. I've tried losing weight and have had trouble even with counting calories, etc.

...wonder what will be different after you take them though?
    You cant lose weight without them - so you take them - but how are you going to continue to lose weight without them (again) when you're done? Im so confused. Anyway- semi-old thread, but Im just wondering how OP is doing.... @Kayy_Whitson ?
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

...wonder what will be different after you take them though?
    You cant lose weight without them - so you take them - but how are you going to continue to lose weight without them (again) when you're done? Im so confused. Anyway- semi-old thread, but Im just wondering how OP is doing.... @Kayy_Whitson ?[/quote]

I can only speak from my experience - but I was on a medically-supervised weight loss program about 5 years ago that included phentermine. I did not have any negative side effects. I lost about 50 lbs on that program and kept it off up until this past year, where I gained back about 30 lbs of it. Now, the main reason I gained the weight back was I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and was on a very strong steroid that made my appetite uncontrollable, combined with a lack of movement due to not being able to get out of bed. I truly believe I would have kept all the weight off had I not had to deal with all that.

For me, the phentermine controlled my appetite to the point that I could "eat to live" rather than use food as emotional comfort. As time went on, I got used to eating smaller portions of food. I was still eating whatever I wanted, I just found it a lot easier to make healthier choices b/c food was just nutrition. Once I stopped taking phentermine, I did not immediately go out and binge on Big Macs, b/c I was used to my healthier habits by that point. Plus, I was motivated by the weight loss I had experienced.

My point is, it is not for everyone, but to say that someone who uses phentermine will definitely re-gain the weight they lose, is just wrong. Just like with ANY diet or lifestyle, you have to form healthy habits and stick with it. You have to go into it with the right mindset, that it is not a magic pill. It is a weight loss tool that can help control cravings and appetite. You still have to exercise and eat under a CICO mindset.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started taking 37.5 phentermine pills and watching my diet and have lost 3lbs in 3 days. I am wondering if anyone is or has taken this and if there are any tips to help with the weight loss and get the most out if the pills. Any suggestions would be great! TIA
    I've been on Phentermine 37.5mg since January, I had gained 10lbs in the last 3 months of last year and my doctor thought the pros outweigh the cons. You're right, it's a jumpstart to help cravings. Use this to your advantage. Try other eating styles. Maybe more fat than carbs, or more protein than fat.
    Tons of water as it gives you dry mouth, really REALLY listen to your body. It is weird at first to be content without feeling completely ready to burst (at least for me) but the phentermine really helps stop panic-eating at the first sign of hunger. Exercise will also help combat the constipation that comes with the pill, these are all things you want to get into NOW when the Phentermine is effective. I also found that not taking the Phentermine for a day or so keeps me from getting a tolerance to it.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I took them and it stopped working after a week. My hunger came back and I had side effects like confusion and irritability. Stopped taking them and just started using MFP every day, CICO method and am losing weight.

I also noticed when I would do cardio when taking the pills my heart would hurt. I didn't like them so I canceled my next doctor appt and just do the CICO.
  • Heatherwarren0911
    Heatherwarren0911 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been on phentermine since 2/18/16 I started out at 257LBS (eek) and as of 3/29/16 I am down to 238LBS. The clinic I'm going through has me watching my carbs and making sure I get enough protein so I wont loose any muscle mass and I love it! I don't feel like I'm starving and I do eat Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and 2 snacks a day but they are healthier choices they even gave me grocery lists to go by so I can stay within my carb and protein goal. I am walking a couple times a week on my lunch break and I am in love with my success so far it has pushed me to stay positive and makes it easier not to want ice cream lol
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Counting calories works if you do. Taking drugs - not the path that I would advise any one to take. 3 lbs in 3 days is either water or unhealthy weight loss. Sorry, but if you had really studied the drug, you wouldn't take it.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did (even while taking levothyroxine for my hypothyroidism). Turns out I have PCOS as well and I am now losing weight again while taking Metformin in addition to my thyroid medication. However, I would NEVER take any type of medication that was meant to specifically aid in weight loss - even when I was depressed and upset with my weight. My former endocrinologist suggested a "weight loss pill" since he couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing despite all of my efforts in addition to taking the levothyroxine (after only two appointments). I quickly ditched him after leaving that appointment in tears, and found my current endocringolost and coudln't be happier! If you actually have done your research on phentermine, you wouldn't take it. That or you don't value your health as much as you claim to.