Military diet.

Options
Thinking about trying the military diet. It's three days out of seven. Anybody tried this or interested?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is a silly diet that only has any effect because you are undereating.

Try eating reasonable quantities of good food every day, instead!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    These diets don't work. If they did, no one would be fat.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Well it says you can lose up to 10lbs a week. At that rate I think we all need to be on the military diet. Lol. As my father always told me...if it sounds too good to be true it's too good to be true. Good luck op
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and didn't lose a single pound
  • KAA1313
    KAA1313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's still based on a 1200 calorie diet. It's not that crazy. It's definitely not the craziest. I eat just fine. I've lost twenty pounds in the past couple months, but I've recently hit a standstill, plateau. I have a wedding I am attending and haven't quite reached my goal yet. I thought I'd try something new.
  • KAA1313
    KAA1313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    Googled it. Looking at what you are supposed to eat I can't see how it would get close to 1200 calories. Maybe I am just calculating in my head incorrectly. Either way, the food selection looks like it would drive me nuts even for three days.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    KAA1313 wrote: »
    It's still based on a 1200 calorie diet. It's not that crazy. It's definitely not the craziest. I eat just fine. I've lost twenty pounds in the past couple months, but I've recently hit a standstill, plateau. I have a wedding I am attending and haven't quite reached my goal yet. I thought I'd try something new.

How long have you been in a standstill? If it's only been a couple of weeks, it's not a plateau. It's simply your body readjusting to your new weight. Weight loss isn't linear, so some weeks will be like that. Even without knowing your height, you should still be losing at 1200 calories. Just give it a little more time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Googled it. Looking at what you are supposed to eat I can't see how it would get close to 1200 calories. Maybe I am just calculating in my head incorrectly. Either way, the food selection looks like it would drive me nuts even for three days.

I added it all up once last year and it was between 1100 and 1200. I'll try to find the post. But yeah, the foods looked a bit ick to me too.

Edit: found my old post. I was wrong, the calories are even lower.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Try that plan and, chances are, you'll lose weight. But it's not because of any kind of fat burning chemical reaction between the foods. Rather it is because you will be eating at a caloric deficit. Here's a breakdown of Day 1 from the military diet website along with calorie counts.

Breakfast
    1 cup coffee (2 cal)
    1 slice toast (110 cal)
    2 T peanut butter (190 cal)
    1/2 grapefruit (27 cal)
    breakfast subtotal = 329 calories

Lunch
    1 cup coffee (2 cal)
    1/2 cup tuna (120 cal)
    1 slice whole wheat toast (110 cal)
    lunch subtotal = 232 calories

Dinner
    3 ounces any meat (168 cal)
    1 cup green beans (44 cal)
    1 small apple (80 cal)
    1 cup vanilla ice cream (130 cal)
    1/2 banana (60 cal)
    dinner subtotal = 482 calories

Daily total = 1043 calories

1043 calories is a very low calorie plan. There are very few grown adults who need to eat this low in order to lose weight. A much better plan would be to determine your caloric needs (e.g., fill out your MFP profile accurately, log your exercise correctly), determine a reasonable weight loss rate, and then eat according to it. Don't look for a "diet plan" beyond "eating the right amount of food to fuel my body." From a nutrition perspective, absolutely learn how to balance your nutrition on a daily/weekly basis. But don't think that you have to cut out all fun foods or eat a magic fat burning combo of them in order to lose weight. It's unnecessary and doesn't teach you good long term weight management skills.

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It is definitely NOT 1200 calories
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's also against mfp rules to discuss as they class it as a vlcd.
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it is called the military diet. I was in the military and they in no way would endorse something like this.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I think any diet that related eating only 1200 calories to the military is back asswards.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    KAA1313 wrote: »

It's more like 800 calories a day and lacking in nutrients.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What makes this diet military? Does it have you carry 90lbs on your back for 10 miles in a day twice a week or something?
  • piinkrevolver
    piinkrevolver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All these negative comments she asked if anyone tried it or interested in trying, not snarky opinions. This is my first time coming on the boards. I hope this isnt a reflection of the community here.

• King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It is..........
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This isn't snark. This is honesty.
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I served, the "diet" was very high calorie, not low calorie, especially when at a training camp (boot, etc.). You're burning thousands of calories in exercise every day so you need to eat. The problem is that people continue to eat like that when they're back to normal duty and the exercise level drops.

You'll definitely lose weight on such a low calorie plan but it can be dangerous to your health. You also risk losing lean body mass as well as fat. I'd suggest talking to your doctor to see what they think.
This discussion has been closed.