What am I doing wrong in my diet.

Options
MoniqueChene
MoniqueChene Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all

So I decided to change my lifestyle 3 weeks ago , started eating much healthier and stopped all sweets and other rubbish food but the weight loss just isn't going the way I would prefer it to go!

Typical day:
Breakfast - Hard Boiled egg , Sometimes teaspoon of cottage cheese.
Snack-small green apple
Lunch - Meal replacement shake
Dinne- salad or steamed veg with either fish/ chicken .

This is a drastic change from my normal days food which was packed with high carbs and sugar.
Anyone have some advice as to why I'm not loosing anything ??

Replies

• louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    From what u have posted, protein may be low. Maybe try and switch from meal replacement shakes to a good protein rich lunch.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from nothing more than a calorie deficit. Are you weighing all of your solid foods and measuring all of your liquids?
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You say "typical day" but is that every day for the last 3 weeks or are there "not-typical" days in there that are throwing you off?
  • MoniqueChene
    MoniqueChene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I Guess I could step it up when it comes to weighing in...
    This might be a silly question but how would I know what portion size is right for me?
    I'm not following any specific diet as everything is ideas I get off different sites... :D
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What would you prefer it do? You don't say what you lost.....but it seems pretty low in calories and unsustainable long term. Eat the calories mfp sets for you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Seems rather extreme and very low calorie. Get a food scale - eat as many calories as MFP says you should. Doesn't matter the foods or the quantity of each individual food as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would take a more moderate approach, this seems a little drastic to me. Are you working out? Eating those calories back? You can eat more and even have a treat here or there and still lose weight.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of cottage cheese really?

How many calories is MFP claiming you are eating in a day? Your whole day looks like one meal. Except the cottage cheese, I eat many bites of that.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data.
  • Linziyo
    Linziyo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is a drastic change from my normal days food which was packed with high carbs and sugar.

That sounds like a drastic change for anyone. I could never get through this on such a little amount of food... I have trouble believing that you are even in a safe caloric range. I eat many of the items you have mentioned within a day... plus a lot more, and even I have trouble getting my calories up enough.

Be careful with that.

• xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Too little food.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There's no way I could stick to a diet like that. Honestly from that small amount of food, you are most likely eating more than you think. Or you're not being honest about some possible snacking going on through the day.
    Why exactly are you restricting yourself so much? Weight loss doesn't have to be some miserable experience. I eat all of the foods that I love every day.

As far as portions go, start weighing your stuff out. Don't go crazy and eat an entire helping of something. Like a whole pizza by yourself. Want some pizza? Log it and weigh the portion you want to eat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of cottage cheese really?

How many calories is MFP claiming you are eating in a day? Your whole day looks like one meal. Except the cottage cheese, I eat many bites of that.

That was my thought, too.

Check this out, OP.

8gcfxcdorlww.jpg
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating minimal calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

If she wasn't she would be losing weight.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    that should be very low calorie, but i find myself wondering about that meal replacement shake - what shake is it, how is it made. also how are the fish or chicken measured and prepared and what dressing - if any - are you using on your salads?

btw, eating nothing but an egg, one spoon of cottage cheese and an apple is low calorie but it isn't actually healthy.
    Hi all

So I decided to change my lifestyle 3 weeks ago , started eating much healthier and stopped all sweets and other rubbish food but the weight loss just isn't going the way I would prefer it to go!

Typical day:
    Breakfast - Hard Boiled egg , Sometimes teaspoon of cottage cheese.
    Snack-small green apple
    Lunch - Meal replacement shake
    Dinne- salad or steamed veg with either fish/ chicken .

Anyone have some advice as to why I'm not loosing anything ??

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

If she wasn't she would be losing weight.

She's young and female, so water retention not unlikely. No info on weight, so she may be at a healthy weight and wanting to lose vanity pounds. Normal fluctuations could still be masking loss.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of cottage cheese would be way more satisfying than a teaspoon. Maybe splurge on a large apple too, try a Gala.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I Guess I could step it up when it comes to weighing in...
    This might be a silly question but how would I know what portion size is right for me?
    I'm not following any specific diet as everything is ideas I get off different sites... :D

Have you followed the steps here on MFP to figure out what your daily intake should be? Then measure and log what you eat. That first step, figuring out what your daily intake should be, will be a major part of getting things rolling for you.
  • KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating too little. But I recently ate an entire large container of cottage cheese in one sitting. So maybe you shouldn't ask me. . .