Vitamins and fat burners?

Options
I started taking prenatal vitamins for my hair and skin (physician approved, though I am not pregnant). But it seams they may be hindering my weight loss.
I was also curious about using fat burners. I exercise and eat healthy foods in proper proportion but i cant seam to cut the weight. My brother in law uses them and they work well for him.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How are vitamins hindering your weight loss?

The only fat burners that work are illegal

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, it's because you're eating more than you need to. If you're eating enough nutrient dense foods, you don't need a vitamin supplement. And there are no such things as "fat burner" supplements.
    Start by counting your calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The vitamins are not inhibiting your weight loss. That's not how they work in the body. It's more than likely you are eating more than you think. That's always my issue. It's very easy to kind of kid yourself into thinking you're doing okay when really deep down you know you haven't been logging accurately. It'll show on the scale when it either doesn't move or goes in the direction you don't want it to go in.
  • catherinekalberg
    catherinekalberg Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are fat blockers that you take 30 min to 60 min before eating that are fda approved for people who have a bmi of 30 or greater. You need a prescription from your doctor. Then you have your over the counter diet supplements that many have seen results with.

Alli- blocks fat from being processed so you poop it out instead. Leaves you with a orange yellow mess in the toilet. You can read reviews on amazon. Many see results but many don't like the gross side effects.

Garcinia Cambogia- a appetite suppressant, slight fat blocking qualities and suppress carb cravings. Less side effects not fda approved.

I believe those are the 2 most common use. Don't use anything without talking to your doctor though. Many of these supplements can't be used by individuals with heart conditions, diabetes, liver or kidney issues that you may not even know you have that they could test you for before you start.
  • catherinekalberg
    Options
    And prenatal vitamins are great. You won't metabolizes what you don't need.
  • MissMichelle1992
    MissMichelle1992 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're not losing weight, it's because you're eating more than you need to. If you're eating enough nutrient dense foods, you don't need a vitamin supplement. And there are no such things as "fat burner" supplements.
    Start by counting your calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I eat 1100 calories /day. My recommend intake is only 100 more /day than this. I only drink water. I exercise 3 times /week. I've lost 2 or so lbs in the last month. Which I am not complaining, but it seams to have come down to loosing an .oz or two/week.
  • catherinekalberg
    Options
    Oh are you drinking enough water? You could be holding g onto some if you're not drinking a gallon a day
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There are fat blockers that you take 30 min to 60 min before eating that are fda approved for people who have a bmi of 30 or greater. You need a prescription from your doctor. Then you have your over the counter diet supplements that many have seen results with.

Alli- blocks fat from being processed so you poop it out instead. Leaves you with a orange yellow mess in the toilet. You can read reviews on amazon. Many see results but many don't like the gross side effects.
    What people don't realize is that this drug also blocks GOOD FAT. The drug doesn't distinguish the difference. And without good fats in your intake, you compromise your essential fat intake for good health.
    Garcinia Cambogia- a appetite suppressant, slight fat blocking qualities and suppress carb cravings. Less side effects not fda approved.

I believe those are the 2 most common use. Don't use anything without talking to your doctor though. Many of these supplements can't be used by individuals with heart conditions, diabetes, liver or kidney issues that you may not even know you have that they could test you for before you start.
    No evidence to support that GC is anymore effective than a placebo.

Weight loss is about CICO, not supplements.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• catherinekalberg
    Options
    At 1100 you may not be eating enough. Try eating more to kick start your metabolism
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Incorrect. The body metabolizes anything it ingests. You don't get "extra credit" for exceeding RDA's, but like anything else, too much of something can be harmful to the body.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    At 1100 you may not be eating enough. Try eating more to kick start your metabolism

You don't need to kick-start your metabolism. It is always working. Starvation mode is a myth.

How are you measuring your food? Are you using a food scale?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, you can't kick start your metabolism. Your metabolism is always on going.

Op, do you weigh your food and do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are losing half a pound a week. If your calorie amount is actually supposed to be that low, then you must not have very much to lose, making half a pound the appropriate amount.

Also, vitamins will not hinder weight loss (unless you end up eating a lot while taking them not to feel nauseated, like me, lol).

Are you weighing all your food? especially if you have such a low amount of calories, you need to make sure you are spot on. As a short human being myself, even being off by 50 calories a day, every day, can significantly impact my overall weight loss. If you do not own a food scale, I would invest in that before fat burners. Its cheaper than fat burners anyway, but $20 bucks (many fat burners costing close to $50 for a month supply, while a food scale cost $20-30 at most).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You aren't eating enough to support your activity. Eating less then 1200 calories a day is typically not enough for most people. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I suggest starting with figuring these out and sticking to them for at least a month.

And no your prenatal vitamins are not contributing to weight gain or inhibiting your loss.

And you do not need a fat burner.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

This is what I have found to be true.
  • MissMichelle1992
    Options

You don't need to kick-start your metabolism. It is always working. Starvation mode is a myth.

How are you measuring your food? Are you using a food scale?

Yes I use a food scale, most of the food I'm eating is fresh. I don't really eat red meat, only chicken turkey and fish.
    I'm not really over weight ATM. I weight 128lbs and I am 5'2". But I don't feel comfortable being at the tippy top of my weight range.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Except the iron in a prenatal is more than the average person needs. Iron can build up in the liver and cause problems. As long as she is monitored by her doctor this is not a problem.

• MissMichelle1992
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Except the iron in a prenatal is more than the average person needs. Iron can build up in the liver and cause problems. As long as she is monitored by her doctor this is not a problem.

I'm anemic anyway. The iron usually makes my stomach upset, but I've been taking it with my breakfast to avoid that.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Vitamins will neither help nor hinder your weight loss.

Neither will "fat burners." The only fat burner is a calorie deficit.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

You aren't eating enough to support your activity. Eating less then 1200 calories a day is typically not enough for most people. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I suggest starting with figuring these out and sticking to them for at least a month.

And no your prenatal vitamins are not contributing to weight gain or inhibiting your loss.

And you do not need a fat burner.

If that was true she'd be losing too much weight, not failing to lose weight.