Yet another Power 90 thread

Options
leftymac
leftymac Posts: 169 Member
I actually did search, and read a good number of the threads, and didn't find what I was looking for. So, I'm posting yet another Power 90 thread.

I'm considering doing this program. I've been doing simply cardio work for all of my weight loss thus far, and it's time to start strength training. Would this be beneficial, or should I just stick to weights in the gym?

I'm also training for a half-marathon, and want to be able to continue my running. Do you think it would be too much to do Power 90 and my 3 days of running a week?

Replies

• rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here seem to have had great success with this program. From what I've been able to dig up this is more the beginner level. People have lost inches and toned up some but if you are already in good shape from all the cardio and weights at the gym then you may want to look at the next level - p90x or something along those lines.

I saw a thread in the success stories with a guy who has done 3 rounds of p90x. He's gone from being about a 270ish big guy to looking like he's a boxer or something. Totally ripped up.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any strength training yet at all, which was why I was looking into this program. I basically have zero strength.

I've no doubt it's a good program. I'm more concerned as to whether or not I can accomplish the same thing with weights at the gym and my normal cardio, and if I can still continue to do my half-marathon training.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a go.
  • rickpearce
    Options
    This is the thread I was talking about:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/240655-1-year-on-mfp-3-rounds-of-p90x-and-83lbs-lost-pics?hl=3+rounds+p90x

But to add to it. My wife and I started P90 last week and we are enjoying the workout and finding it challenging. We are more so in the beginner stages though.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    This is the thread I was talking about:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/240655-1-year-on-mfp-3-rounds-of-p90x-and-83lbs-lost-pics?hl=3+rounds+p90x

But to add to it. My wife and I started P90 last week and we are enjoying the workout and finding it challenging. We are more so in the beginner stages though.

Awesome!!! Keep pushing play!!! You are doing what so many people won't!
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good program to ease into stregnth training. You get a mix of everything. Cardio, yoga, weights and Tony, who is awesome! ;o)
  • rickpearce
    Options
    So here goes. I started the program last Tuesday. I did today's workout last night on my rest day because I have something to do tonight and I won't be home until late. So I guess that puts me at day 11.

While I've been doing this I've also attended 5 of my circuit training fitness classes at the gym and had 1 ice hockey game.

Since we measured ourselves for p90 I've lost 2.5" on my waist, 1" on the hips and 1" on the chest, 0.5" on the neck. arms/thighs stayed the same and I've lost 5.5 lbs.

WIfey has lost 1.5" on the waist, 1" on hips, 1.25 on chest and 0.5 on the neck and is down about 1lb total. (she hasn't had the benefit of the other classes and hockey).

That's pretty awesome stuff after just 10% of the program.
  • vpochman1
    vpochman1 Posts: 23
    Options
    I absolutely love this program. I have seen great results in a short time frame! Its also only 30 min for levels 1-2 and 38 for levels 3-4, where P90X is an hour and I just dont have that much time. I have also purchased the Power 90 master series which does help you prepare for P90x. Give it a shot :)
  • marialynn82
    Options
    This is an older post, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in! I have done just over a week of power 90 and staying within my calorie range. I haven't taken my inch measurements again, but I am down 5 lbs. It's as intense as you make it really. I feel great, lots of energy. About training for a marathon on top though, in the info that comes with it, Tony says if you feel you really to do anything else, take a 20 min walk or light cardio in the AM. So who knows, just don't do too much and burn out! Good luck :)