Vitamins and fat burners?

Options
2»

Replies

• samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    First, you are not eating enough. Enter your stats into MFP and select 0.5-1lb loss/week. You most likely don't need 2lbs/week (that's for someone with a large amount of weight to lose), and eating less than 1200 calories /day is going to hurt you in the long run.

Secondly, if you are not losing weight, you are eating more than you think. If you are not measuring EVERY item you eat/drink, you are likely over-eating. You need a food scale for solids, and make sure you are measuring sauces, condiments, and oils properly as well. A food scale is necessary with solids because it's amazing how many extra calories we can cram into the measuring cup, and just because it fits doesn't mean it's still the same serving size.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »

You aren't eating enough to support your activity. Eating less then 1200 calories a day is typically not enough for most people. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I suggest starting with figuring these out and sticking to them for at least a month.

And no your prenatal vitamins are not contributing to weight gain or inhibiting your loss.

And you do not need a fat burner.

If that was true she'd be losing too much weight, not failing to lose weight.

Not necessarily true

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sophia-herbst/1200-calories_b_4816597.html

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Ergh, every time I see the words "fat burners", I flash back to the article about the girl in the UK who literally burned to death from the inside out after taking them. Or the guy in Australia who suffered liver damage so extreme that the doctors couldn't wait and had to give him a liver with hep, or he would have died.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

You aren't eating enough to support your activity. Eating less then 1200 calories a day is typically not enough for most people. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I suggest starting with figuring these out and sticking to them for at least a month.

And no your prenatal vitamins are not contributing to weight gain or inhibiting your loss.

Not necessarily true

This is quite literally terrible, and defies even the most basic high school human biology.

Please link to reputable sources, or peer reviewed clinical studies.

An 'article' on huffpost women by 'Sophia Herbst - Seattle-based freelance writer and blogger' is neither.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The current legal drugs labeled as fat burners are no more effective than caffeine. The ones that do better, are illegal or at best quasi-legal. Take 200-600mg of caffeine with l-theanine in a 2:1 ratio. Use a scale that can weight mgs so you don't kill yourself. Accept that this may add a 2-5% daily increase in calorie burn. Supplements are always the last thing to use.

If you have been dieting low for a long time, try a refeed where you eat at or above maintenance, particularly with carbs, and then come back to the diet. This will not do anything magical such as restarting your metabolism or flushing your fat or any of that. It gives your hormones a break as being in a calorie deficit is a stress, sometimes a chronic one.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Not necessarily true

This is quite literally terrible, and defies even the most basic high school human biology.

Please link to reputable sources, or peer reviewed clinical studies.

An 'article' on huffpost women by 'Sophia Herbst - Seattle-based freelance writer and blogger' is neither.

Agreed. Starvation mode is a MYTH. Period. There's no debating that point because there is nothing to debate.

OP, you are losing half a pound per week, so that doesn't seem like a stall. Vitamins will not hinder your weight loss.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true

Yeah......no.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I started taking prenatal vitamins for my hair and skin (physician approved, though I am not pregnant). But it seams they may be hindering my weight loss.
    I was also curious about using fat burners. I exercise and eat healthy foods in proper proportion but i cant seam to cut the weight. My brother in law uses them and they work well for him.

Vitamins don't hinder weight loss. Taking in more calories than you are burning does.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    And prenatal vitamins are great. You won't metabolizes what you don't need.

This is what I have found to be true.

How do you know? It's not like you can tell what nutrients you are or aren't absorbing?
    At 1100 you may not be eating enough. Try eating more to kick start your metabolism

You don't need to kick-start your metabolism. It is always working. Starvation mode is a myth.

How are you measuring your food? Are you using a food scale?

Yes I use a food scale, most of the food I'm eating is fresh. I don't really eat red meat, only chicken turkey and fish.
    I'm not really over weight ATM. I weight 128lbs and I am 5'2". But I don't feel comfortable being at the tippy top of my weight range.

You're the same height and weight as me. We're right in the middle of "normal" for our height. I'm fine with my weight because I am muscular, and if I drop too low I look sickly. What type of exercise are you doing? Does it include strength training? Can you get more activity in your week? No matter what you do, you're going to lose weight slowly because you're at a healthy weight.