Weight loss stand still

Options
I have been doing myfitnesspal since september and I lost 45lbs! But it seems like the last month I have been at the same weight. I feel like I will never get below 150. Should I change my calorie intake or what? I am confused and dont know how to break this plateau and get the ball back rolling.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie goal at all after losing 45 pounds?
  • youngandaspiringxo
    youngandaspiringxo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You may require less calories now because of your weight loss. What you needed to eat when you weighed more to lose weight, may be the amount you need now to maintain your weight. My guess would be you need to lower your intake.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine dropped to 160 and was very fit, looking to drop a few pounds was struggling. He was religious about hitting the gym (Same routines 5x a week) and food intake, he switched to a completely different exercise and the last 4 pounds came off. our bodies adapt, I think they need a shock sometimes.
  • jrollings2001
    jrollings2001 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie goal at all after losing 45 pounds?

I am already 1200 I really can't go lower but for awhile I did try just 100 calories less a day
  • jrollings2001
    Options
    You may require less calories now because of your weight loss. What you needed to eat when you weighed more to lose weight, may be the amount you need now to maintain your weight. My guess would be you need to lower your intake.

I'm already At 1200 so can't really go lower I guess I'll try to increase what I burn
  • jrollings2001
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    A friend of mine dropped to 160 and was very fit, looking to drop a few pounds was struggling. He was religious about hitting the gym (Same routines 5x a week) and food intake, he switched to a completely different exercise and the last 4 pounds came off. our bodies adapt, I think they need a shock sometimes.

I am sure mine is used to it also I'll switch up some things thank u
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    [quote="jrollings2001;35895502
    I am already 1200 I really can't go lower but for awhile I did try just 100 calories less a day[/quote]

You may need to increase your calorie intake. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but the closer you are to your goal the less you will lose per week and chances are you set up MFP to "lose 2 pounds per week" which is why you are set at 1200 calories. Try changing it to 0.5 or 1 pound per week.

• jrollings2001
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    [quote="jrollings2001;35895502
    I am already 1200 I really can't go lower but for awhile I did try just 100 calories less a day

You may need to increase your calorie intake. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but the closer you are to your goal the less you will lose per week and chances are you set up MFP to "lose 2 pounds per week" which is why you are set at 1200 calories. Try changing it to 0.5 or 1 pound per week.

[/quote]

When I change it it says 1200 still and I actually gave up some and was eating a little more and finally got from 150 to 148 but now it's 150 again so I'm so lost on what to do. Thank u for the help
  • cathipa
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I'm sure they are higher than 1200. Just from personal experience I weight less than you and am eating almost 1700 calories a day and losing.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Plateau means you are eating at a maintenance level. There is no such thing as a weight loss plateau.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been doing myfitnesspal since september and I lost 45lbs! But it seems like the last month I have been at the same weight. I feel like I will never get below 150. Should I change my calorie intake or what? I am confused and dont know how to break this plateau and get the ball back rolling.

@jrollings2001 consider not trying to change anything from your prior successful way of weight loss. Give your body a year to adjust is one thought. I have maintained a 50 pound weight loss that put me at 200 for the first time in 22 years but a year later eating the same way I am still at 200 and happy. Blood markers and general health are still improving and down the road I expect I will see 175. My goal after stopping dieting forever at the age of 63 is only for better health. The body knows how to get there so give it time. :)

My daily calories are 2500-3000 and have been the same more or less for the past 18 months. There is no such thing as a 'stall' in the real world but only in our heads is my current thinking.

Why would you only eat 1200 calories a day when you know per federal guidelines a female needs more or less 2000 to prevent premature death?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

@jrollings2001 consider not trying to change anything from your prior successful way of weight loss. Give your body a year to adjust is one thought. I have maintained a 50 pound weight loss that put me at 200 for the first time in 22 years but a year later eating the same way I am still at 200 and happy. Blood markers and general health are still improving and down the road I expect I will see 175. My goal after stopping dieting forever at the age of 63 is only for better health. The body knows how to get there so give it time. :)

My daily calories are 2500-3000 and have been the same more or less for the past 18 months. There is no such thing as a 'stall' in the real world but only in our heads is my current thinking.

Why would you only eat 1200 calories a day when you know per federal guidelines a female needs more or less 2000 to prevent premature death?

Do you have a good link for that statement? What I found from the USDA re:calorie guidelines for women:

. A more
    detailed table is provided in Appendix 6. Estimates
    range from 1,600 to 2,400 calories per day for adult
    women and 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day for adult
    men, depending on age and physical activity level.
    Within each age and gender category, the low end of
    the range is for sedentary individuals; the high end of
    the range is for active individuals. Due to reductions
    in basal metabolic rate that occurs with aging, calorie
    needs generally decrease for adults as they age.

fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/Chapter2.pdf

Seriously found nothing at all linking eating less with premature death in women. Yes, there have been some reports that the elderly live a bit longer being a little overweight, but that is hardly the same thing as "premature death".
  • jrollings2001
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I'm sure they are higher than 1200. Just from personal experience I weight less than you and am eating almost 1700 calories a day and losing.

No I don't understand how to do that
  • cathipa
    Options

I'm just curious where this information came from?
  • cathipa
    edited March 2016
    Options

No I don't understand how to do that

Start here.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Don't eat less than your BMR and would recommend a goal of 20% less than your TDEE.
  • jrollings2001
    Options

Bmr is 1438
  • jrollings2001
    Options

My fitness pal set me at 1200 when I started. I'd love to change it. You are bigger than I am so of course you can eat more than me and still lose.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to measure your portion sizes? Making sure that you are using accurate entries from the database? You may be eating more than you think without realizing it. Now that you are down 45 pounds (congrats!) you don't have much room for error as you did in the beginning.

It might be a good idea to set your diary to public so we can take a look and see if logging errors are the issue.
  • cathipa
    Options

Bmr is 1438

So your BMR are the basic caloric requirements your body needs to maintain function (brain, heart, hormones, etc.). I wouldn't recommend eating less than this. Your TDEE is the amount of calories you expend in a day given your activities (exercise, work). If you were to maintain these calories you would be in maintenance. Typically it is recommended 20% reduction in TDEE for weight loss. Hope this helps!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to measure your food? How do you calculate your calories?