Coconut Oil

Options
besdais
besdais Posts: 76 Member
I was wondering what you all thought about Coconut Oil - yea or nay? The jury seems to be out, but I hear such good things about it, and I have started incorporating some into my morning coffee, as well as using it more for cooking. Here's my question, though. If you are pro CO, how much do you use? I read that I should use 2-3 T a day...That's up to 350 calories, and I don't want to use that much of my daily allotment. Right now I'm using around 1 T, but I wonder if that is even worth it. Help! I will say that it definitely seems to make me more, um, "regular!"

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's fat, it has calories. I use it sparingly for cooking and I use it as a moisturizer but it's not miracle food
  • mtolose1
    mtolose1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Idk about food, but definitely helps with skin. We use it, specially in winter months.
  • besdais
    besdais Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it on my skin. I mix it with Vitamin E and use it daily!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @besdais I drink 3 tablespoons of coconut oil 2X daily in coffee or tea for 18 months now due to my macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat so in my case the jury is in.
  • _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @besdais I drink 3 tablespoons of coconut oil 2X daily in coffee or tea for 18 months now due to my macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat so in my case the jury is in.

I have mine with Fruit Loops . . . .
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I use it daily - anywhere from 1 tsp up to 1-2 Tbsp depending on what I'm cooking or eating, making sure it fits in my macros for the day. I add a scant tsp in my morning oatmeal, sometimes in tea, and have pretty much replaced all cooking oils with CO. I use it for egg/veggie scrambles and any type of stir fry, as well as baking. I only use organic unrefined virgin CO as there are no chemicals used in processing and I don't mind the coconut flavor.

I've been doing this for the past year and we'll see what the effect will be on my cholesterol levels when I have my annual physical in a couple months. Hoping to see a decrease in my slightly elevated numbers.

It's also a great moisturizer and make-up remover.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I have mine with Fruit Loops . . . .

@_SandShoveller_ that is interesting but I have banned sugars and all forms of grain for pain manage. :)
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use it sparingly in cooking just like any other fat. It has pros and cons just like the rest of them. It works really well as a butter sub in baking vegan items. I dislike it for frying eggs because it imparts a coconutty flavor to them. It is awesome for dry skin and I use it almost daily as a beard oil to moisturize my beard and facial skin, helps to keep it soft with a healthy shine.
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too. I bought some organic pure CO and I have used it occasionally to cook with BUT for the past 3 years I have relied solely on FryLite so bringing real fat back into my diet is against everything I have taught myself to do. That said, FryLite is probably full of chemicals and is processes within an inch of it's life so I don't know what is the better option!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a healthy fat to use...but it's still fat and still calorie dense...those calories don't just magically disappear because it's coconut oil and has some good nutritional properties. You have to realize that good nutritional properties does not always mean "magic" for weight loss or that the calories don't count. There are any number of highly nutritious foods that are also calorie bombs...and those calories work in exactly the same manner as "junk" calories or any other calories would.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I get organic coconut oil Costco- way less expensive- great oil and I separate out some- mix with lavender and it so soothing to smell! Love it!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Key point is it's " healthy fat" and fits in your calorie/ macros go for it- my cholesterol improved- stir fry taste better to me too
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    besdais wrote: »
    I was wondering what you all thought about Coconut Oil - yea or nay? The jury seems to be out, but I hear such good things about it, and I have started incorporating some into my morning coffee, as well as using it more for cooking. Here's my question, though. If you are pro CO, how much do you use? I read that I should use 2-3 T a day...That's up to 350 calories, and I don't want to use that much of my daily allotment. Right now I'm using around 1 T, but I wonder if that is even worth it. Help! I will say that it definitely seems to make me more, um, "regular!"

Nay.

It's just the latest in a long line of ordinary foods to be marketed as something special by anyone wanting to sell you their cookbook/coffeemaker/DVD/product.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too. I bought some organic pure CO and I have used it occasionally to cook with BUT for the past 3 years I have relied solely on FryLite so bringing real fat back into my diet is against everything I have taught myself to do. That said, FryLite is probably full of chemicals and is processes within an inch of it's life so I don't know what is the better option!

Coconut oil is definitely healthier than that frylite stuff..
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! I use it for cooking, usually no more than 2 tbl a day. It's good for pan cooking grilled chicken and gives it an awesome flavor. I also use it as a body lotion and have used it for conditioner in my hair. It smells amazing! A little goes a long way though so don't over do it! It's still a fat and is high in calories.
  • JinxedyJinx
    JinxedyJinx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since I started moisturizing my face with a home mixed coconut oil/vitamin E cream blend, my acne has significantly cleared and my skin looks much better than it used to. I rarely ingest it though, as I find the taste of it when used in cooking to be not as nice as olive oil - and I sure as heck won't put it in my coffee when there's half and half to be had! But yay coconut oil for a better complexion!
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil, especially in scrambled eggs and on toast when it was a breakfast staple, as well as in soup. Generally, 2 tablespoons for the day is all I use. Yes, fat is higher in calories. But for me, it is very satisfying and helps calm the hungries. Since adding it to my diet, my complexion is brighter, has a more even tone, and is smoother and softer. Unsweetened coconut flakes are a nice pick-me-up, too....fewer calories and some fiber. Unrefined coconut oil will give you a bit of flavor, while the refined has no flavor. It's my favorite, but the husband prefers evoo, so we have choices.
  • mskmadd
    mskmadd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    artery clogging so i don't use in coffee or cooking
    but do use it on scalp for dermatitis type scale
    wet hair with water sprayer first
    leave on for,30 minutes to an hour before shower with disposable glove on hand
    comb thru hair as well as good conditioner

then scrape scalp with fine comb with gloves on
    and wash out oil with gloves on again in shower
    about 4 times
    scalp is moisturized
    gloves protect nails as makes them too soft and takes Polish off too

research how bad it clogs,arteries
    not worth a heart attack!

canola oil and ex Virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
    lightest at moderate heat only
    as low burning oils

for high heat or BBQ
    avocado oil and grape seed oil best
    otherwise ruins pans and burned oil

I use,spritzer for any oils to cook with
    less calories,and easier for me with digestion
    I have no galbladder and also have gerd

my hubby shaves with Co oil tho

lost 33 lbs 4 years ago in 9 months
    using this app
    kept it off

now since gerd showed up 5 months ago
    I can't eat large meals and can't snack at night
    lost another 23 lbs in 3 months
    I mix infused fruit water with my wine To drink less too
    no counting calories anymore just portion control and learned good habits from counting calories
    I eat sugarless candy at night sometimes
    or half bag 100 calorie popcorn
    I also weigh out pasta and meat still
    and everything lean and light and mostly sugar free
    I also drink infused fruit water to avoid dehydration with meds I take

i log in my weight daily on this,app but no longer need it for calorie counting
    that got boring after a year
    I just kept same learned good habits
    I can't exercise due to car wreck injury either

it am back to my thinner self and back pain is,way less too and bp is better too
    still on meds but bp lower

my gerd/chronic silent acid reflux
    no symptoms until er visit
    with chest pain on left side
    misdiagnosed at er
    3 Dr's later with chronic lump in throat
    finally diagnosed right

no damage to esophagus
    but on acid blocking med for life
    nothing bothers me but too much portions
    so rest of weight came off easily
    and will stay off due to my gerd

I just pay attention to calories and portion right

its,a lifestyle not a diet

and for me it works!

• mandi_manson
    mandi_manson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My mom uses it! I heard it is great!
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    mskmadd wrote: »
    artery clogging so i don't use in coffee or cooking
    but do use it on scalp for dermatitis type scale
    wet hair with water sprayer first
    leave on for,30 minutes to an hour before shower with disposable glove on hand
    comb thru hair as well as good conditioner

then scrape scalp with fine comb with gloves on
    and wash out oil with gloves on again in shower
    about 4 times
    scalp is moisturized
    gloves protect nails as makes them too soft and takes Polish off too

research how bad it clogs,arteries
    not worth a heart attack!

canola oil and ex Virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
    lightest at moderate heat only
    as low burning oils

for high heat or BBQ
    avocado oil and grape seed oil best
    otherwise ruins pans and burned oil

I use,spritzer for any oils to cook with
    less calories,and easier for me with digestion
    I have no galbladder and also have gerd

my hubby shaves with Co oil tho

lost 33 lbs 4 years ago in 9 months
    using this app
    kept it off

now since gerd showed up 5 months ago
    I can't eat large meals and can't snack at night
    lost another 23 lbs in 3 months
    I mix infused fruit water with my wine To drink less too
    no counting calories anymore just portion control and learned good habits from counting calories
    I eat sugarless candy at night sometimes
    or half bag 100 calorie popcorn
    I also weigh out pasta and meat still
    and everything lean and light and mostly sugar free
    I also drink infused fruit water to avoid dehydration with meds I take

i log in my weight daily on this,app but no longer need it for calorie counting
    that got boring after a year
    I just kept same learned good habits
    I can't exercise due to car wreck injury either

it am back to my thinner self and back pain is,way less too and bp is better too
    still on meds but bp lower

my gerd/chronic silent acid reflux
    no symptoms until er visit
    with chest pain on left side
    misdiagnosed at er
    3 Dr's later with chronic lump in throat
    finally diagnosed right

no damage to esophagus
    but on acid blocking med for life
    nothing bothers me but too much portions
    so rest of weight came off easily
    and will stay off due to my gerd

I just pay attention to calories and portion right

its,a lifestyle not a diet

and for me it works!

This is the strangest poem I have ever read.

Just kidding. :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!