Beer over dinner

Options

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    bewickfree wrote: »
    I had four beers last night (it was one hellacious day!!! It fit into my calories/macros) and was up 1lb today, even with calorie deficits all week. So I'd just see what alcohol does to your weight. It obviously doesn't work for ME. :(

You know weight loss/gain is neither linear nor instantaneous, right? Your 1 lb "gain" has nothing directly to do with the four beers you drank last night - it is just part of the normal daily fluctuation (fluid retention, constipation, different timing vis-a-vis the digestive process, etc.)
  • bewickfree
    bewickfree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    I had four beers last night (it was one hellacious day!!! It fit into my calories/macros) and was up 1lb today, even with calorie deficits all week. So I'd just see what alcohol does to your weight. It obviously doesn't work for ME. :(

You know weight loss/gain is neither linear nor instantaneous, right? Your 1 lb "gain" has nothing directly to do with the four beers you drank last night - it is just part of the normal daily fluctuation (fluid retention, constipation, different timing vis-a-vis the digestive process, etc.)

Thanks for the reminder. I actually just had an epiphany-- TOM is right around the corner. Ugh.
  • bewickfree
    bewickfree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    LC107 wrote: »
    Well the general consensus here says it is CICO (all of MFP seems to say that) and with my 13 pound weight loss in a little less than 3 months I am going to go with that as not being "crap science" but rather truth.

That's your choice to be responsible for. You're an adult, you get to choose what you do with your life. Remember though that you're trusting a handful of MFP-user back-patting heresay instead of a body science nutritionist. But since you were seeking CICO affirmation from the very beginning, this only makes sense.

If MFP users are just back-patting and using heresay, may I ask what is the point of you being here?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well the general consensus here says it is CICO (all of MFP seems to say that) and with my 13 pound weight loss in a little less than 3 months I am going to go with that as not being "crap science" but rather truth.

That's your choice to be responsible for. You're an adult, you get to choose what you do with your life. Remember though that you're trusting a handful of MFP-user back-patting heresay instead of a body science nutritionist. But since you were seeking CICO affirmation from the very beginning, this only makes sense.

If MFP users are just back-patting and using heresay, may I ask what is the point of you being here?

To tell us we're all wrong.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    From a beer drinking standpoint, I'm sure you can find something better than Goose Island. :smile:

Haha its not so bad. lol

Not too bad in and of itself. I personally don't support Anheuser-Busch, so I refuse to drink or buy any of their beers. Goose Island is one of their craft beer lines - A-B bought them about 5 years ago.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Anyways on to my point- How bad is it that I give up dinner two nights a week to have 2 beers instead?

It's probably not awesome, but I manage my diet to be able to have a small mixed drink (vodka/soda) every evening. And, if I were going to have to choose, I'd probably go with the vodka, as well =P

• RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Beer is always a good decision.

I mean. Follow your heart.

o:)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    From a beer drinking standpoint, I'm sure you can find something better than Goose Island. :smile:

Haha its not so bad. lol

I agree. Goose Island isn't total gourmet stuff but I wouldn't turn one down. I don't generally buy them on my own unless I'm somewhere that has a poor selection. "Bud light, Miller, Coors, Ah! Goose Island! Yes please."

As far as the original question I think you're fine if you do that some days. I wouldn't replace all dinner with beer but last night I specifically had a grilled chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A (2 actually. Only 320 calories each) and skipped the waffle fries in lieu of a beer.

If you like IPA like me then check out some of the "Session" IPAs that you see around. They're generally lighter, have less alcohol and thus fewer calories. I still think that they have something to offer in the way of flavor. Small compromises like that can make a big difference and having that second beer. Take the following example.

New Belgium - Slow Ride Session Ipa. 140 calories
    New Belgium - Ranger Ipa. 185 calories
    New Belgium - Rampant Ipa. 230 calories.

Two sessions are just 280 calories. The Rampant is the full bodied, nearly a double IPA. Much heavier and you're nearly at 500 calories with a couple of those. The Ranger is one of my favorites but you know they Slow Ride is pretty tasty too and some nights that's the right thing to do.

ETA: The "beer belly" is just too many calories. Your body doesn't know if it's from beer or cheese fries. Mmmmm, cheese fries.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    If you get all your nutrients in your meals earlier in the day and you aren't hungry then drinking the beer occasionally is fine. Is it the healthiest option? Probably not, but sometimes you just need a good beer. I've never had Goose Island, but my opinion on good beer is that whatever kind you like best is good.
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm with Waffle, try some session IPAs! A lot of them are amazing with a ton of hoppiness and I've never found a session with as many calories as a standard IPA.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Haha its not so bad. lol

Not too bad in and of itself. I personally don't support Anheuser-Busch, so I refuse to drink or buy any of their beers. Goose Island is one of their craft beer lines - A-B bought them about 5 years ago.

Yes! This. There are new craft breweries popping up every day, it seems! So many "better" choices. May I suggest a Ballast Point Sculpin?

As for the beer in place of food, I can't say I've never done it, myself. I typically try to limit calories during the day in anticipation of this (which definitely holds true for my days spent at beer festivals), but sometimes one just needs a random beer at the end of a hard day.
  • auddii
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cblack8 wrote: »
    I'm with Waffle, try some session IPAs! A lot of them are amazing with a ton of hoppiness and I've never found a session with as many calories as a standard IPA.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/to-ol-jule-maelk/235066/

About 450 calories for a bottle, and worth every one.

ETA: Actually, ratebeer should be calories for 12oz, and I believe the bottle is technically only 11oz or so.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options

And in general, it's 90% (or more) true: CICO is by far the most important thing. But there are small details that say CICO isn't absolutely everything. You're going to have weird cravings if you're seriously deficient in micronutrients. You will lose muscle mass if you're restricting calories without getting enough protein. And your metabolism will change (a little) in response to blood leptin levels (which drop in response to alcohol consumption)

My personal experience suggests having a couple alcoholic drinks two nights a week isn't going to make a big difference, but drinking every night would probably be working against you a little. More than CICO would suggest.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Miller 64 is worse than death. I've been to a couple events where they were giving these away. I couldn't finish one of those. Bleh!

For those that stomach lite beer. I rank them thusly.

Bud light: Watery but this does have some flavor.
    Coors light: Rocky mountain spring water that runs past a distillery. Doesn't taste bad but doesn't taste like beer.
    Miller light: Someone had too much PBR, threw it up, and they put it back in a bottle.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

ETA: Actually, ratebeer should be calories for 12oz, and I believe the bottle is technically only 11oz or so.

ABV: 15%. That's not a session IPA unless you're wanting to have a session sleeping on the couch. :laugh:
  • auddii
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

ABV: 15%. That's not a session IPA unless you're wanting to have a session sleeping on the couch. :laugh:

I misread the quote. I thought we were pointing out that occasionally really good beers were worth the calories.

tZOS8.gif
  • instantmartian
    Options
    Miller 64 is worse than death. I've been to a couple events where they were giving these away. I couldn't finish one of those. Bleh!

Coors light: Rocky mountain spring water that runs past a distillery. Doesn't taste bad but doesn't taste like beer.
    Miller light: Someone had too much PBR, threw it up, and they put it back in a bottle.

Perfect descriptions! My favorite "light" beer has to be Yuengling Light Lager. Now, I might be a little biased because I grew up near the original location, and "lager" is everyone's go-to beer around here. However, the Light Lager seems to be the only light beer I've ever had that actually tasted like something. Mind you, that "something" is watered down Yuengling Lager, but it does have more flavor those those mentioned above.

Personally, I'd rather spend more calories on a good (read craft) beer rather than subjecting myself to some sub-par light version.
  • auddii
    Options

Perfect descriptions! My favorite "light" beer has to be Yuengling Light Lager. Now, I might be a little biased because I grew up near the original location, and "lager" is everyone's go-to beer around here. However, the Light Lager seems to be the only light beer I've ever had that actually tasted like something. Mind you, that "something" is watered down Yuengling Lager, but it does have more flavor those those mentioned above.

Personally, I'd rather spend more calories on a good (read craft) beer rather than subjecting myself to some sub-par light version.

My new favorite "lite" beer is a local Berliner Weisse; it's 111 calories. Although at the brewery they add a fruit syrup, so it's a little higher. Just a smidge of blackberry is pretty amazing.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    My favorite session IPA of the moment is Founder's All Day IPA. I like how it has some malt tones and it's a little mild as far as IPAs go - I'm not a fan of super-hoppy beers. I can drink more than enough of this stuff at once to get myself into trouble.
  • instantmartian
    Options

My new favorite "lite" beer is a local Berliner Weisse; it's 111 calories. Although at the brewery they add a fruit syrup, so it's a little higher. Just a smidge of blackberry is pretty amazing.

That sounds quite tasty!

I wish I could remember what the owner of Stoudts told my boyfriend and I about light beer, but he had a very logical-sounding explanation about every beer being a light beer because calories cannot be properly counted in beer...or something to that affect. He seemed like a pretty smart man with lots of thoughts about "life" and "beer." I'm not sure if his statement was BS (my thoughts are that it was), but it sounded convincing enough. haha