Dang you, beer!!

Options
It was a disaster of a day yesterday and I had four beers. Well, even with a calorie deficit all week and the beers fitting I to my macros/calorie count I was up 1 full pound today. Is there any way it could be water weight that will come off? Or did I just completely negate my week's progress?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Alcohol plays havoc with your energy usage. The body can't store it, so it has to metabolize it. During that time, your body relies on alcohols calories and NO OTHER energy source until all the alcohol is metabolized out of your body. So no carbs, fat or proteins are burned.
    Don't blame the beer, blame your discipline.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bewickfree
    bewickfree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Alcohol plays havoc with your energy usage. The body can't store it, so it has to metabolize it. During that time, your body relies on alcohols calories and NO OTHER energy source until all the alcohol is metabolized out of your body. So no carbs, fat or proteins are burned.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Good info, thanks! I'm approaching this journey as a long-term lifestyle, so if consuming beer is a lack of discipline, I'm okay with that and the temporary halt following now that I know it's inevitable. Thanks again!
  • agodbout2587
    agodbout2587 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    But.....it tastes soo goood!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I usually piss so much from drinking, I end up lighter the next day.
  • bewickfree
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yes, it does! If not living the rest of my life acohol-free makes me undisciplined, consider me a hellion!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a beer since New Year's. I'd pass out if I had one now.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    4 beers should be much less than 500 calories which shouldn't gain you much weight. The 1lb you see is mostly water--the beer itself and the water retained for hydration which is the effect of alcohol.

Don't stress. I breathe in more calories than that in an eat out! I just remember to get up and move a bit more. Replace all my foods in the next 12 hours with celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, Jicama.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    4 beers should be much less than 500 calories which shouldn't gain you much weight. The 1lb you see is mostly water--the beer itself and the water retained for hydration which is the effect of alcohol.

Don't stress. I breathe in more calories than that in an eat out! I just remember to get up and move a bit more. Replace all my foods in the next 12 hours with celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, Jicama.

Highly depends on the type of beer you drink. I had two beers last night, which added about 500 calories to my day.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep, some beers can be 300 calories each or more. I just buy lite stuff now (like 95 calories a pop or less) so I can't blow my budget even if I tried.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    IF you stayed in your calories, then it's absolutely water weight, as alcohol tends to cause dehydration. Drink lots of water and wait a few days to weigh yourself again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    bewickfree wrote: »

Yes, it does! If not living the rest of my life acohol-free makes me undisciplined, consider me a hellion!
    Don't get me wrong, you don't have to stop drinking beer. Just don't blame it as your demise if you choose not to control how MUCH you drink.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • LolliRox
    LolliRox Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think what ninerbuff had to say is very interesting (metabolically); however, if you need to indulge once in a while I certainly wouldn't call that a "lack of self-discipline". If you're doing it 4 nights a week, then we're probably looking at a self-control issue and some of us know about that too. (My love for beer [and wings] is my primary reason for being overweight.)
    When you go out, try having a vodka and soda or tonic instead. Ask your server to bring you a water along with your drink. I find this helps me nurse my drinks and consume less alcohol in a social setting.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

Right? I don't think that poster has a lot of sympathy for your average human. Just my take.

But yes it's unlikely that the pound will stay, especially if you get right back on track with your plan.

I even had water weight after just one drink, like 2oz of bourbon and I was up 2lbs. Chalk it up to a fluctuation and keep on trucking! We're all human after all.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Highly depends on the type of beer you drink. I had two beers last night, which added about 500 calories to my day.

I've had single beers for 500 calories (and they were worth every single one!) I've got a bottle of Dogfish Higher Math in my cellar that's > 500 kcal for a 12 oz pour.

• Jruzer
    Options
    10Ub3Co.png
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

You are right. I was going by bud light, coors light which are around 110 . Sapporo Premium even lists nothing :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

You are right. I was going by bud light, coors light which are around 110 . Sapporo Premium even lists nothing :)

Do those count as beer? I assumed that was a typo and you meant to write 3,500 since that's how many calories it takes to add a pound. I forgot not everyone drinks microbrews.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    One more. The bloke in the middle seems like a good sort of fellow:

e269l10ilpfj.jpg
  • sentamo
    sentamo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ↑That picture sums it up pretty well.

I love both craft beer and exercise and I don't see why they can't go together unless you're a highly competitive bodybuilder who has to have everything perfect to get up on stage. It's all about balance!

For the past two years (or so)- I've had a beer or two almost every day and had day drinking turn into evening drinking and beyond more times than I can count and yet have succeeded in dropping from 185lbs and chubby to 145lbs and muscular (that actually only took a few months and I've kept it off since). I lift weights, cycle outdoors and go for walks and I feel fit as a fiddle. That having been said, drinking more than a beer or two can really throw the scale numbers for a loop the next day (some days you may even find your scale weight dropping dramatically the day after drinking). I always just viewed those days as alcoholic refeed days and weighed again the next day to get a more accurate reading. 8)

If your calories and macros were on point you probably don't have anything to worry about.
  • bewickfree
    Options

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to stop drinking beer. Just don't blame it as your demise if you choose not to control how MUCH you drink.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's why I mentioned it was all within my calorie limit and macros. It was THAT bad of a day that there was no time to do all my small meals (which works for me better than 2/3 big ones). Again, thanks for your info! It really put my mind at ease after being consistent in the practice of CICO.

And for those above-- it was Busch Light. It's what my friend who fixed my furnace in a blizzard had. :(