"Banking" Calories?

Options
Is it legit? Lol.... I mean is it really ok to use the calories I didn't use yesterday toward today? Or even all week toward a large weekend meal? I've never really considered it before, it doesn't seem right. Haha!

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do it all the time
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ktyler0811 wrote: »
    Is it legit? Lol.... I mean is it really ok to use the calories I didn't use yesterday toward today? Or even all week toward a large weekend meal? I've never really considered it before, it doesn't seem right. Haha!

What are your thoughts?

It works. A lot of people intentionally eat below weekdays to have pocket calories so to speak for the weekend purchases.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I sure hope it's legit. I'm looking forward to a bottle of wine tonight.
  • KrystalErin0429
    KrystalErin0429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well that's great news! Thanks!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am. I'm banking calories all week because I have a calorie full weekend ahead of me.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's fine.. For example: If you are allotted 1500cals a day then that's 10,500 cals a week. if you had 1200cals 6 days and 3300cals day 7 it still equals the same amount so you're okay. I do it sometimes when I'm anticipating a night out.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yup! I do it all the time.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have started doing this the last 2 weeks and have lost almost 3 lbs whereas before I kept being stuck at the same thing for weeks because I was having such a tough time with weekends. I recommend not weighing the day after the weekend though :wink:
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm eating at maintenance for 115 lbs (which is actually my goal weight, I'm 5lbs away). I notice I eat more on the weekends when I spend time with my boyfriend, so I give myself 3-4 low calorie days, and bank my calories to use for when I spend time with him so I don't have to feel so restricted.

Ex: Maintenance for 115 per Scooby (w/ my height & weight and activity level): 1653 cal/day
    this translates to 11,571 cal/week to maintain
    If I have 4 low cal days, bare minimum of 1200/day, that brings me to 4 days total of 4800 cals
    That means the last three days for boyfriend time I have a total of 6771 cals, split up between three days, I get 2257 cals to eat comfortably each day I spend with him, which means I get to enjoy some wine. :)

That was some kind of math soup, but it's been helping me these last two weeks to stress less on days I do know I plan to splurge.
  • CRR3143
    CRR3143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I purposely signed up for premium so that I could plan to do this. I took my recommended daily calorie amount and multiplied it by 7 to get a weekly amount. Then I divied that weekly amount so that I had a higher goal on weekends and a lower one on weekdays. I just started, but my hope is that this will help me stick with it in the long run because I don't have a hard time meeting a lower goal on SOME days, but I need to have my days where I can eat out and splurge (but not too much) to keep me motivated.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    CRR3143 wrote: »
    I purposely signed up for premium so that I could plan to do this. I took my recommended daily calorie amount and multiplied it by 7 to get a weekly amount. Then I divied that weekly amount so that I had a higher goal on weekends and a lower one on weekdays. I just started, but my hope is that this will help me stick with it in the long run because I don't have a hard time meeting a lower goal on SOME days, but I need to have my days where I can eat out and splurge (but not too much) to keep me motivated.

I don't have the premium and I promise I'm not being a butt: Can you not just manually enter in your calorie goals daily? I do this on the weekends or when I plan to eat more.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's how WW works. You can either never use the weekly "bonus points" use a few bonus points each day, or "bank" them all and use them all at once.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I don't have the premium and I promise I'm not being a butt: Can you not just manually enter in your calorie goals daily? I do this on the weekends or when I plan to eat more.

I just aim to be 100-200 cals under goal Monday to Thursday, then use the weekly calorie goal graph on the app to see how many I have for the weekend!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do weekly calories and daily Macro's it just makes sense to me
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Yup. Calories don't know days in the end it is still calories in vs out. If you weigh yourself weekly or monthly you won't see the fluctuation from a high day here or there as long as at the end of the time period you eat less then you burn you are good.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    Yup. Calories don't know days in the end it is still calories in vs out. If you weigh yourself weekly or monthly you won't see the fluctuation from a high day here or there as long as at the end of the time period you eat less then you burn you are good.

True. My phone has an app auto-installed that lets you track your weight. I track it daily just to see the fluctuations, and it gives you an average weight over a certain time period. I prefer to go about it that way, over stressing weekly about not netting a loss.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a goal to eat back half my exercise that i get from a fit bit charge HR .Can I bank exercise calories too?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    I have a goal to eat back half my exercise that i get from a fit bit charge HR .Can I bank exercise calories too?

Yes, calories are calories.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

I did the exact same thing. I signed up for premium for this purpose. I up my calories for Friday, Saturday and Sunday and lower my cals for Monday-Thursday. When I am a good girl and log seriously, it works great for me. I have been in a slump lately, but revving back up. I know that I always eat more on the weekends, so it made sense to get premium in order to "set" my weekly goals, instead of having to do the math each week. (This girl is NOT good at math! :D )
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    add me to the list of people that bank for the weekends.