Vegetarian protein

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    akamran1 wrote: »
    You can make "cheese" and creamy sauces from cashews. Soak cashews in water overnight. Drain. Blend (adding water as to how liquidy you want it). Done!

Depending on how you season it, it can be either sweet or savory. Lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, etc. for savory; honey, maple syrup, etc. for sweet.

Cashews sufficient to meet protein needs are likely going to be difficult to fit into a diet that also has a calorie deficit as a goal. While this could be *part* of someone's diet, it's not a great replacement for protein powder.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You can make "cheese" and creamy sauces from cashews. Soak cashews in water overnight. Drain. Blend (adding water as to how liquidy you want it). Done!

Depending on how you season it, it can be either sweet or savory. Lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, etc. for savory; honey, maple syrup, etc. for sweet.

Cashews sufficient to meet protein needs are likely going to be difficult to fit into a diet that also has a calorie deficit as a goal. While this could be *part* of someone's diet, it's not a great replacement for protein powder.

I'd sure like to try to eat that many cashews, though. I might make it a challenge one day to eat my daily protein goal only in cashews just to see how many kcals I'd need and whether or not I could do it.

ETA: The math says 18 servings of 100 grams and 9954 calories for my personal goals.
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    People covered it pretty well here in with Lentils, beans, tofu, and so on. I would add MRM Veggie Elite protein powder. It's Pea protein and a few other sources, has around 22g per serving and unlike Veggie Warrior or Vega it is actually affordable (bodybuilding.com sells 2lbs for about $25 which is 30 servings).
    For food, google Beyond Beef, their burgers, beef crumbles, and meatless balls have no soy, gmo's, gluten, and are organic plant based made. I use the crumbles to make tacos and chili and honestly you cannot tell the difference at all from beef.
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'd sure like to try to eat that many cashews, though. I might make it a challenge one day to eat my daily protein goal only in cashews just to see how many kcals I'd need and whether or not I could do it.

Post results! Science must move forward.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

I did the math. It's interesting. I updated my post above to include.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Before I started with weight training I was able to maintain a very reasonable level of protein consumption without the use of supplements (50-60g a day) with beans and nuts. Now that I am aiming for a much higher # (roughly 100g a day) I do use protein powders daily, so I believe the amount you need to consume will vary greatly on how much stress you plan on putting on your muscles. I rotate between whey, pea protein, hemp, and casein because I enjoy variety and figure each has its own strengths and weaknesses. If your worried about long-term maybe consider adding more variety as well, and pick products with as few strange additives as possible (not to suggest there are long-term risks involved in pea-protein consumption, I really dont know).
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to limit red meat to 3 oz./week, so plant protein is my primary source. I *love* hemp protein--fiber and protein combined, but it does taste like delicious sand, so you should use in something thick.

OMG - I forgot about hemp seeds. Those are amazing! I add them to a lot of stuff as well. They're a staple in my diet, can't believe I forgot lol.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

That would be quite a day. Of course, you'd also need the tortilla chips for the cashew queso.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

That would be quite a day. Of course, you'd also need the tortilla chips for the cashew queso.

Oh dear lord... that would be a day. That's already 3 times my daily calorie intake :s
  • Judyojudy
    Judyojudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOW so grateful for all the helpful information, you all rock.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,715 Member
    Options
    hiker583 wrote: »
    Beans and lentils are your best friend. I have been vegetarian all my life, never taken any artificial supplement. 2 cups of lentil and bean soup will give you enough protein.

I'd have to eat 5.6 cups of cooked lentils to hit my current protein objective . . . don't get me wrong, I love lentils, but the 88g of fiber scares me a little, not to mention that the 1286 calories wouldn't leave much wiggle room for other foods, and I'd still be a little short on methionine and cystine.

I'm not trying to be (just) snarky: Each of us has different nutritional objectives, and different ways of achieving them. Sweeping statements are simple, but not necessarily informative.

Two cups of cooked lentils is 36g of protein - substantially less than the USDA recommendation of 43g for me (per fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/), and I'm pretty small at this point (5'5", 118lb, 60 y.o).

I know that many vegans consider the USDA recommendation to be excessive. But, from my reading, I think it's too low for active people who are trying to maintain/increase strength, especially when in calorie deficit.

Like you, I'm staying away from the supplements (just a preference, not a religion). But I want more protein than I'll get from a couple of cups of lentils - that's enough for one meal, approximately, in my view.
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    hiker583 wrote: »
    Beans and lentils are your best friend. I have been vegetarian all my life, never taken any artificial supplement. 2 cups of lentil and bean soup will give you enough protein.

I'd have to eat 5.6 cups of cooked lentils to hit my current protein objective . . . don't get me wrong, I love lentils, but the 88g of fiber scares me a little, not to mention that the 1286 calories wouldn't leave much wiggle room for other foods, and I'd still be a little short on methionine and cystine.

I'm not trying to be (just) snarky: Each of us has different nutritional objectives, and different ways of achieving them. Sweeping statements are simple, but not necessarily informative.

Two cups of cooked lentils is 36g of protein - substantially less than the USDA recommendation of 43g for me (per fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/), and I'm pretty small at this point (5'5", 118lb, 60 y.o).

I know that many vegans consider the USDA recommendation to be excessive. But, from my reading, I think it's too low for active people who are trying to maintain/increase strength, especially when in calorie deficit.

Like you, I'm staying away from the supplements (just a preference, not a religion). But I want more protein than I'll get from a couple of cups of lentils - that's enough for one meal, approximately, in my view.

I agree. As a long-time vegan, I think it is important to acknowledge there are many, many people who require more protein than can be found in two cups of lentils.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Vega protein powder (vanilla) is pretty tasty

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to second this statement. I make a protein shake with Vega protein powder several days per week. I love the Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. They taste great blended with fruit, nut butters, avocado, etc.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Beans, tofu, tempeh and nuts.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use Nutravina hemp powder with spinach, almond milk, frozen blueberries and a frozen banana several times a week.