low carb and breaking out?

Options
Okay so I've done low carb before- it works for me- and I've been cutting down on refined carbs again over the past 2 weeks and my skin has broken out HORRIBLY! I normally do not have bad skin at all.

Can the two be related? I don't remember having this problem last time....

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    try to drink more water.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    that is weird because breakouts are associated with the consumption of refined flour, so you would think it would be an improvement instead of the opposite!
  • leilanezha
    Options
    Yes, it is quite possible it is related. When you first go on a low carb program and you are detoxing, your body gets rid of those toxins in a variety of ways. One of them is breaking out, another is perhaps cysts or "boils" may be more frequent and, lastly, that "flu" type feeling is a common side effect. Like the other post says, drink lots of water. You must flush the toxins out of your system. Defininately go for the 6 to 8 glasses of plain water per day. If you can handle it, go for 8 as a minimum. Rule of thumb is half your body weight in ounces of water, but not everybody can squeeze that much in!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I broke out my first week doing low carb too, and then it cleared up. I think it has something to do with de-toxing, anything bad you have in your body that doesn't get cleaned up by your organs will get pushed out of your skin. It's just another "cleansing" organ. Also could be your hormones re-setting and adjusting to the new lifestyle. Just hang in there, if your cutting out processed crap and sugar, your skin will look better than ever in no time!
  • golden1215
    golden1215 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks all!