Weight lifting.

I have joined a gym. And started a weight circuit. I am trying to lose weight and get muscle tone. Not get big and ripped. Is it better to do 3 sets of 10 reps. Or. 2 sets of 15 reps ?

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    It's the same volume, so no big difference. But you need to have a decent volume to get strong and stay toned so 3 sets would be better
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    My trainer set me up on 3 sets of 15. Have you talked to a trainer?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    I go by this. I'm going for strength, but I really enjoy sets for hypertrophy.
    1-5 reps, strength
    3-10 reps, hypertrophy (muscular size)
    8+ reps, endurance
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Why not pick a routine?

There are a bunch of free ones on bodybuilding.com.

Some others I know of:
    - Stronglifts 5x5 (beginners strength routine)
    - Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (similar to Stronglifts)
    - Starting Strength
    - New Rules of Lifting
  • hrdks650
    hrdks650 Posts: 3 Member
    Mfp seems to gove zero caloric benefits to weight lifing or am i wrong
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    hrdks650 wrote: »
    Mfp seems to gove zero caloric benefits to weight lifing or am i wrong

Log it as strength training under cardio, but be aware the calories given are probably totally inaccurate.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    You're female. You cannot possibly get "big and ripped" without drugs of some kind. Lift heavy :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    The difference between high reps/ low weight and low reps/high weight is you will get stronger on the latter. Personally, I would rather do a structured lifting program that has been proven. This list has a ton . They are all focused on compound moves and used by many of our members.

Getting muscle tone comes from low body fat and genetics. The reps and weights you use is fairly irrelevant to that. I would recommend getting .6-.8g of protein per lb of weight as it will help encourage you to maintain your current mass. And more muscle = slimmer body since muscle is lean. And keep in mind, all those guys and girls that you are see huge, are generally not natural and it took them years to get that way. It doesn't accidentally happen.