Something i dont understand about "calorie deficit"

Options
can some one make it clear what is a calorie deficit ? . like the myfitnesspal app says I need 1770 per day , should i eat that or less

Replies

• yassinelmeniawy
    yassinelmeniawy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    5u86l2puan2p.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You're burning X amount of calories just by living. You're in a deficit if you're eating less than that. The number the app tells you to eat is as much as you should eat to lose probably 1 pound per week, that's the default I think, unless you told it you want to lose more or less than that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How many pounds a week did you tell MFP you wanted to lose?

It already includes a calorie deficit based on that number. So NO, you do not want to eat less than what MFP tells you (unless you told it 0 pounds a week).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eat until "Remaining" says 0 (on the far right, the green numbers...if you add exercise, you'll see that you get more calories. It's to fuel that exercise.)
  • yassinelmeniawy
    yassinelmeniawy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How many pounds a week did you tell MFP you wanted to lose?

It already includes a calorie deficit based on that number. So NO, you do not want to eat less than what MFP tells you (unless you told it 0 pounds a week).

1 KG per week
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You need X amount of calories to maintain your weight.

You need X minus Y calories to lose weight.

Y is your calorie deficit.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP is already calculating calories per day based on how much you want to lose so you can eat basically all the way up to the number of calories they give you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit means you eat fewer calories than you burn.