Fitbit vs Polar

Options
Upgrading my fitbit flex, as much as I want the fitbit Blaze and all its fancy features, the polar looks more promising however. If you have a polar watch, which one? I need something to know how much I'm burning etc.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar M400. It is good for tracking steady state cardio with the supplied heart rate monitor. It also has GPS for running/ walking outside. As far as tracking daily activity it think that is does a poor job, but I do not have a comparison.
  • findingro
    findingro Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar M400. It is good for tracking steady state cardio with the supplied heart rate monitor. It also has GPS for running/ walking outside. As far as tracking daily activity it think that is does a poor job, but I do not have a comparison.
    Thanks man! I'm doing some research and that's what a lot of other reviews were saying as well. Like my Fitbit is terrible at activity tracking so it can't be trusted
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar A360 and I love it. It suits me perfectly but isn't for anyone who wants/needs GPS. My favourite things are that I don't need a chest strap and it's waterproof to 30m so I can wear it 24/7.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Polar FT7 can be used in the water, tracks cals, heart rate pretty much everything I need. I hear about fitbit but seems it only counts steps and that'd be nice but not for $99. Someone told me you can get one that counts steps/HR that you can use in the pool if you put it in a plastic baggie in your bra/swim top... and hope it doesn't fall out and into the pool. :p LOL That's apparently running $200. :::shrugs::: That is until it falls out of the baggie and dies...

Seems you have to almost have numerous devices to track everything... I most definitely spend a lot of time in the pool so want something I can use in there (my FT7 chest strap and is water proof and works great for that so probably set on toys)... but would be nice to count step, suppose one of my good ole fashioned pedometers would work for that. I'm not a runner so I don't' need any spectacular regarding GPS etc.

Honestly if I had to pick one to buy now...I'd be posting same as you.

Good luck finding one that fits your needs! :wink:
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    check out dcrainmaker.com or RizKnows on youtube. They review activity trackers and running watch.

I went with the M400 (and HRM) because it recognized activity other steps. Summer weekdays I hardly walk because I ride to work.

Garmin has new activity trackers with wrist based HRM. They look promising. It would be nice to drop the heart rate strap.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop 2 and love it. It's light, easy to clean, tracks activity, fully waterproof and will sync with the Polar H7 Bluetooth HRM chest strap (which is also fully waterproof) and can all be synced to MFP via their apps ( although still issues I believe with android and syncing, I use my iPad mini). No GPS though.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have the V800, and I've used the loop, and FT80 the only time I've had problems with "activity tracking" is when I'm using a certain elliptical with out handles, it misses a lot of steps, but since it's actually tracking activity by my HR then, it doesn't matter. I like the polar because they sync with most cardio equipment, so if I have to work out at a different place, or use a different piece of equipment, my heart rate and effort won't change.
  • findingro
    Options
    I have the Polar A360 and I love it. It suits me perfectly but isn't for anyone who wants/needs GPS. My favourite things are that I don't need a chest strap and it's waterproof to 30m so I can wear it 24/7.

That is deff a big perk!
  • findingro
    Options
    Polar FT7 can be used in the water, tracks cals, heart rate pretty much everything I need. I hear about fitbit but seems it only counts steps and that'd be nice but not for $99. Someone told me you can get one that counts steps/HR that you can use in the pool if you put it in a plastic baggie in your bra/swim top... and hope it doesn't fall out and into the pool. :p LOL That's apparently running $200. :::shrugs::: That is until it falls out of the baggie and dies...

Seems you have to almost have numerous devices to track everything... I most definitely spend a lot of time in the pool so want something I can use in there (my FT7 chest strap and is water proof and works great for that so probably set on toys)... but would be nice to count step, suppose one of my good ole fashioned pedometers would work for that. I'm not a runner so I don't' need any spectacular regarding GPS etc.

Honestly if I had to pick one to buy now...I'd be posting same as you.

Good luck finding one that fits your needs! :wink:

I have a fitbit flex that I use and it works great for steps and thats about it lol! Im not much of a swimmer but the FT7 looks so promising
  • findingro
    Options
    KettleTO wrote: »
    check out dcrainmaker.com or RizKnows on youtube. They review activity trackers and running watch.

I went with the M400 (and HRM) because it recognized activity other steps. Summer weekdays I hardly walk because I ride to work.

Garmin has new activity trackers with wrist based HRM. They look promising. It would be nice to drop the heart rate strap.

Thank you so much for the review sites! currently digging Dcrainmaker!
  • dunkut
    dunkut Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I have a Polar Loop 2 and love it. It's light, easy to clean, tracks activity, fully waterproof and will sync with the Polar H7 Bluetooth HRM chest strap (which is also fully waterproof) and can all be synced to MFP via their apps ( although still issues I believe with android and syncing, I use my iPad mini). No GPS though.

This^^ I just found a polar loop (the original) for $24 on clearance, bought the H7 strap and I get the best of both worlds. Activity tracker plus a good heart rate monitor!
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd been using the Polar FT-7 (chest strap) for a few years until I lost my watch many months back. Recently I've been really wanting to get something more modern and was feeling a bit torn between the Fitbit charge HR and the Polar A360. I did do my research first and found that for my strength training purposes the polar would be the better fit.
    My gf bought me the A360 as a gift and I set it up immediately, however I began noticing little issues. particularly with syncing, and pairing. Both my Phone and the Polar's software were up to date, but I could never get the darn thing to work properly.
    My first test run with strength training I got back some very low inaccurate results. About half the calorie expenditure than my weakest average. So I tried it out a second day with and wore it a bit tighter, and still got the same results.
    Feeling disappointed with the outcome I ran out to my local Bestbuy were they price matched amazon and I purchased the Polar H7 heart sensor/strap. It's a perk/feature, the ability to bypass the Watches own sensor and connect to the chest strap/H7 via Bluetooth. well it was a pain in the but to pair it, but when it worked there were other issues. However the H7 once paired correctly did work amazingly well, but there were just to many headaches to get it to work each time so I just ended up placing it back in the box ready to be returned.
    This was just all less than a week ago, and the last 4 days I spent vacationing in California (Disney) where I ended up losing the Polar H7. I had been running it with my Iphone/polarbeat app. The H7 was the best thing out of everything, and now I have nothing. Although my gf lent me her pink polar ft-4 yesterday :neutral:
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    slacker80 wrote: »
    I'd been using the Polar FT-7 (chest strap) for a few years until I lost my watch many months back. Recently I've been really wanting to get something more modern and was feeling a bit torn between the Fitbit charge HR and the Polar A360. I did do my research first and found that for my strength training purposes the polar would be the better fit.
    My gf bought me the A360 as a gift and I set it up immediately, however I began noticing little issues. particularly with syncing, and pairing. Both my Phone and the Polar's software were up to date, but I could never get the darn thing to work properly.
    My first test run with strength training I got back some very low inaccurate results. About half the calorie expenditure than my weakest average. So I tried it out a second day with and wore it a bit tighter, and still got the same results.
    Feeling disappointed with the outcome I ran out to my local Bestbuy were they price matched amazon and I purchased the Polar H7 heart sensor/strap. It's a perk/feature, the ability to bypass the Watches own sensor and connect to the chest strap/H7 via Bluetooth. well it was a pain in the but to pair it, but when it worked there were other issues. However the H7 once paired correctly did work amazingly well, but there were just to many headaches to get it to work each time so I just ended up placing it back in the box ready to be returned.
    This was just all less than a week ago, and the last 4 days I spent vacationing in California (Disney) where I ended up losing the Polar H7. I had been running it with my Iphone/polarbeat app. The H7 was the best thing out of everything, and now I have nothing. Although my gf lent me her pink polar ft-4 yesterday :neutral:

That's a tough break man, I feel for you. I have no experience with the A360 but I can honestly say that I've not had any major issues with pairing and/or syncing my H7 with my Loop 2 and then to MFP. Having said that, the recent Polar Flow app update seems to have slowed the syncing a bit and like I said, if you have an android phone (which you don't) your likely to have sync issues as apparently it's still an issue that Polar have not corrected.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The reviews I have read for the Polar A360, Fitbit charge HR, Fitbit Surge, have reported accuracy issues with the optical HR sensors. I just saw a review about the newest version of the Microsoft activity tracker that reported good accuracy, so that might be worth looking into if you don't want a chest strap.

I don't think one device will excel at everything--you have to decide which area (activity, exercise) you want to be more precise.

I am old school (and old), so I still use a chest strap for workouts. I recently purchased a Polar V800. That is more technology than I'll ever need, but I always overbuy when it comes to my exercise gadgets. After I bought the V800 I found that a lot of the technology I wanted actually came with the H7 chest strap itself + various 3rd party apps.
    The V800 has great GPS accuracy, great workout tracking, so-so as an activity tracker. That profile worked for me and I think, in general, that's what you will get with Polar products, whereas with Fitbits you will probably get the opposite, since they have been at the forefront of activity tracker technology.

PS: most conventional HRMs and fitness trackers cannot be used to accurately assess calories burned during strength training. The body's response to strength training is physiologically very different from the response to aerobic training. That and the fact that there are many more variables involved make it difficult, if not impossible, to come up with a common measurement or algorithm that can be applicable in a general way. There are several trackers out there now that are specifically designed for strength training:

https://www.quora.com/How-useful-is-a-fitness-tracker-if-I-am-more-of-a-weight-lifting-person-than-a-cardio-person

However, from what I can tell after a cursory examination is that they are more designed to measure/track strength changes, muscle involvement and other specific training parameters rather than calories burned (even though some offer that feature).

To the best of my knowledge (and technology is always changing so I don't claim to know everything that's out there), there is currently no way to accurately track calories burned during resistance training.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar A360 and I love it. I love the fact that I can swin with it as with Fitbit you can't, also i get to choses weather or not I wear the H7 chest band. It dosen't have GPS. you can ck out the reviews on youtube by Rizknows and a few other. Good Luck on what you decide.