Emotional Snacking

Options
Snacks are getting the best of me today...not necessarily unhealthy but too many and too often. Rough morning set the mood for the whole day. Tried to shake it but instead just decided to be mindful of today and not let it repeat again. I logged everything.

Replies

• Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    One day s a time. Find some healthy snacks you like.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try as best you can to deal with emotions in some other way than snacking. It's not like eating is inherently the only way to solve stress. Go for a jog or even just a long walk, listening to music or something. Anything to get your mind off the stress instead of eating.
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1. Don't stock the snacks in your house. 2. If you are around them, make them a good reward, and not at all once. The snacks will be there tomorrow, and the day after. Reward stress with a fun dance, a song you like to sing aloud, a scream, chewing ice cubes, whatever. Don't reinforce your addiction with more food to battle your mood.

I took up Zumba to help with stress, play games with family, and if I have to, stock low-calorie SMALL ice creams in my fridge. Put a picture of you at a better time, or a picture of what you want to be on the fridge as a reminder that with every needless snack, you are a step away from that, and with every successful denial of addiction, you are two steps closer.

If you snack, make it worth it. Don't chow down 200 calories of crappy, three month old chocolate from the gas station. Chow on 200 calories of primo dark chocolate that will make the calories worth it. :)
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    if you know you are going to go through something stressful, budget some calories for stress eating. or make yourself earn the calories, exercise then eat your snack.
  • Bettina82
    Bettina82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was emotional eating yesterday :(
    Getting out of the house helped me yesterday...Hope today is better for you and me!
    I agree with budgeting some calories for snacks. Are you getting enough protein with your meals? If I don't get enough I am reaching for a snack soon after!
  • katemrobbins
    katemrobbins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of it last night. But today is a new day with new choices. Let's move forward and praise ourselves for the accomplishments we are making and the goals we are going to crush
  • Kamyn
    Kamyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hkmonge wrote: »
    Snacks are getting the best of me today...not necessarily unhealthy but too many and too often. Rough morning set the mood for the whole day. Tried to shake it but instead just decided to be mindful of today and not let it repeat again. I logged everything.

As everyone said, everyday is a new day, so what is done is done and focus on making today another healthy day. If you are trying to hit certain macro goals or just to be safe, I would recommend keeping snacks in the house that can only assist you toward what you want, so that if you get a snack it won't hurt you. For example healthy cereal, milk, oatmeal, Mac and cheese (for carbs), Greek yogurts, ostrim jerky, power bars, protein bars in general (for protein) or peanuts, whipped cream (for fats) as long as you plan and depending on your diet some of these things are ok to have in moderation.
  • waves1023
    waves1023 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hkmonge wrote: »

This may be TMI but her I go!!! I'm an emotional/binge eater and I'm manic depressive or bipolar(it got grouped into bipolar a few years back) any way I go through ups and downs of happiness and being depressed and for the most part of my life that meant stuffing my face when I was down. I've gotten better control of it but honestly I've learned to stock my house with only healthy foods. So when this happens and my self discipline gives out I will be eating apples, oranges, bananas, Greek yogurt, carrot sticks, ect. Is it good or great that I binge eat or snack endlessly NOPE but I'm not going to tear myself down over it anymore. It only creates a bigger problem mentally. Alot of people I'm sure would disagree with me, but I lost 43 of the 100lbs I need to lose last year.
    So my advice basically stock yourself with healthy foods so when you do emotionally eat it's not hurtful to your body and don't beat yourself up mentally about it....just keep moving forward and allow yourself mistakes. I hope this helped! Goodluck!
  • trunkbay3434
    trunkbay3434 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of this also, even us dudes do this sometimes lol!! To echo the advice of not buying/putting the items in the cabinet in the first place does work for me but it's a hard balance with the snacks and easy to fit in lunch items for my children at school!! I try to put more healthy items in the lunches also but what is childhood without a nice slimJim or hostess cupcake from time to time??
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the emotional eating today, realizing in a month it will be a year that my grandma passed away and Easters going to be very hard.ive been crying all day
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hdatres wrote: »
    I'm going through the emotional eating today, realizing in a month it will be a year that my grandma passed away and Easters going to be very hard.ive been crying all day

I'm so sorry. I have had most of my family die and I did some damage to myself because of it too.

I finally came to the conclusion that they would not want me suffering because of their deaths. It was their time. I feel like the best thing I can do for myself is to live a healthy life. I feel much better since I stopped the self-destructive behaviors. You can feel better, too.